Operations Associate, Volunteer Management
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Bonn
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: Closed
The Volunteer Services Centre (VSC) is the centre of excellence that provides HR services to more than 12,000 UN Volunteers serving agencies, funds, and programmes across the UN system. VSC is responsible for providing timely and high-quality services in
• Talent acquisition cycle (from sourcing to recruitment)
• HR administration cycle (from hire to separation)
• Payroll administration
• Related guidance, customized packages and support for volunteers and UN entities globally
VSC works in close collaboration with other relevant sections at headquarters, as well as with Regional Offices and Field Units to ensure seamless and consolidated services in accordance with UN Volunteers Conditions of Service, regulations and rules, policies, and internal best practices.
Reporting to the Operations Associate, Volunteer Management (G7), the Operations Associate, Volunteer Management (G6) provides HR administration services for UN Volunteers. Supporting multiple countries, the incumbent works in close collaboration with the Deployment and Payroll Team in the Volunteer Services Centre and with Regional Offices and Field Units to best address UN Volunteers’ and partners’ needs. She/he promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and supports the maintenance of high-quality service delivery and client satisfaction.
1. Provision of volunteer management services
- Provide volunteer management services encompassing the full cycle of volunteers’ engagement, from hiring through separation, in adherence to established UN Volunteers Conditions of Service, regulations, and policies;
- Administer UN Volunteer contracts;
- Analyze and record benefits, entitlements, and claims in relevant systems for accurate payroll processing;
- Analyze and record life events in relevant systems for accurate payroll processing;
- Review supporting documents related to claims, benefits, and life events;
- Support the recovery of over-payments;
- Manage medical and security evacuations, resignations, and terminations, in due confidence;
- Alert supervisor about deficiencies or risks and liaise with Regional Offices and Field Units on exceptional situations and provide guidance on applicable regulations, rules, and policies to ensure full compliance with accountability framework;
- Guide and support UN Volunteers on the Conditions of Service and provide inputs to specific briefs and guidance notes, including for on-boarding.
2. Volunteer management coordination and technical support
- Liaise with other team members in the Volunteer Services Centre, Regional Offices, and Field Units to keep abreast of evolving demand for UN Volunteers in the portfolio;
- Contribute to the development, update, and maintenance of the Conditions of Service and ensure their consistent application;
- Contribute to the analysis of the regional Volunteer Service Centre results, report on trends, and propose changes for improvements of services related to volunteer management.
3. Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Provide input to the design of training materials and corporate activities towards building the volunteer management capacity of UNV personnel;
- Synthesize and share lessons learned and other pertinent knowledge for operational improvements;
- Make contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice;
- Contribute to the improvement of policies, processes, and systems by identifying bottlenecks, proposing solutions for streamlining, optimization, and automation. that enable the Centre’s timely and quality delivery;
- Serve on a rotational basis as a focal point for VSC on specific various topics;
- Perform other administrative duties as may be required.
- Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by the deadline
- Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements
- Open-minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback
Adapt with Agility
- Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible
Act with Determination
- Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident
Engage and Partner
- Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion
- Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies
- Understand the potential as well as the limitations of using data driven innovation.
- Ability to use a mix of data sources (quantitative, qualitative or real-time techniques) to develop understanding, identify patterns to inform decision making or identify opportunities for further exploration.
- Ability to research and turn information into useful knowledge, relevant for context, or responsive to a stated need.
Digital awareness and literacy
- Ability and inclination to rapidly adopt new technologies, either through skillfully grasping their usage or through understanding their impact and empowering others to use them as needed.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience; Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media and other appropriate channels.
Customer satisfaction/ client management
- Ability to respond timely and appropriately with a sense of urgency, provide consistent solutions, and deliver timely and quality results and/or solutions to fulfil and understand the real customers' needs; Provide inputs to the development of customer service strategy; Look for ways to add value beyond clients' immediate requests; Ability to anticipate clients' upcoming needs and concerns.
Documents and records management
- Overall document (hard or electronic) management; registry and retention policy including storing and archiving.
- Secondary education with technical training in human resources, business administration, or related areas;
- University degree in human resources, business or public administration is desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of relevant experience in personnel and/or business management;
- Alternatively, Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field in combination with 3 years of experience in personnel and/or business management may be accepted;
- Knowledge of the conditions of service of the UN Common System or of international organizations would be an asset.
- Experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience working in web-based management systems would be an asset;
- Experience working with volunteers would be an asset
- Fluency in English;
- Proficiency in another official UN languages would be an asset.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
- Only short-listed applicants will be contacted;
- The successful candidate will hold a UNDP letter of appointment;
- This post is for local recruitment only. It is open to citizens of German or holders of residence and unlimited work permits for German.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: