Emergency Preparedness & Response Officer CSTII
- Organization: WFP - World Food Programme
- Location: Uganda
- Grade: Level not specified - Level not specified
- Medical Practitioners
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Resilience, Response and Recovery)
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Closing Date: Closed
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
NOTE: WFP DOES NOT SOLICIT FOR FEES OR ANY FORM OF PAYMENT FROM JOB APPLICANTS
WFP is looking for talented people who are committed to joining our efforts to eradicate hunger. It offers unlimited opportunities to grow your professionalism, talent and expertise. Start your journey to be a member of the world-wide effort to eradicate hunger. WFP has a policy of affirmative action for women.
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE
We are seeking a qualified individual for the position of Emergency Preparedness & Response Officer CSTII to be based in Kampala. Selected candidates will be employed on a Consultancy basis
Selected candidate will be responsible and accountable for strengthening the implementation of WFP Uganda's response, preparedness and contingency planning activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Provide a key supporting role to the EPR and Crisis Response focal point for the coordination, planning and response implementation of sudden-onset emergencies in Uganda, including EVD outbreak, refugee influx, natural disasters, or any other crises arising in the country and pertaining to SO1.
2. Support the Head of EPRP to facilitate the implementation of Emergency Preparedness & Response (EPR) activities within the Uganda Country Office EPR Taskforce, including support to the operationalization of the four (4) EPR workstreams and of their respective action plans.
3. Proactively identify opportunities for strengthening the CO’s overall EPR capacity and provide relevant recommendations to Crisis Response leadership.
4. Support the roll out and implementation of Phase III of the GFA prioritization exercise. This includes, but not limited to, reviewing technical documents, organizing workshops, coordinating with UNHCR and OPM on specific aspects of prioritization, attend and facilitate inter-agency meetings when required.
5. Undertake regular field visits to monitor and provide recommendations for improving the quality of the refugee response implementation, including support supervision by the Field Assistants and performance monitoring, such as reviewing daily reports of alerts and ensuring WFP attendance at national and sub-national coordination forums.
6. Contribute to enhancing the CO’s Contingency Planning ahead of the December 2023 DRC Presidential Elections as well as South Sudan General elections in 2024.
7. Support the operationalization of Anticipatory Action (AA) Plan / Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in Karamoja and provide EPR support as required ahead of the Lean Season response.
8. Provide transversal EPR support to Area Offices and other Units within the CO, including the development CONOPs and provision of EPR trainings
9. Stimulate the CO’s efforts towards the integration of Early Warning systems throughout programmatic activities.
Leads by Example with Integrity
Upholds WFP values, principles, and standards:
Demonstrates and encourages others to uphold the WFP values, principles and standards Respects others and values diversity:
Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language, and encourages others to do the same Stays focused and calm under pressure:
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments
Delivers results for maximum impact:
Holds self and/or others accountable for the delivery of results Delegates appropriately:
Delivers results against delegated tasks and seeks guidance and support where needed Adapts readily to change:
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative Teamwork
Is inclusive and collaborative: Promotes inclusive teamwork and psychological safety by sharing ideas and openly raising issues
Gives timely and constructive feedback:
Applies Strategic Thinking
Communicates and fulfils WFP’s vision:
Fulfils WFP’s vision and is able to explain how their objectives support the vision
Embraces curiosity and new ways of doing things:
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships
Builds partnerships: Builds partnerships by seeking out opportunities to work with others
Collaborates to deliver common objectives:
Collaborates with partners by sharing information and working together to deliver common goals
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
University degree in Political Science, Economics, Statistics, Information Management Systems, Computer Science, communication or Journalism, Social Sciences, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
At least five years or more of professional experience in Emergency Response Programme Coordination.
• In-depth knowledge of WFP processes, systems and EPRP requirements is a must.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, able to clearly articulate insights to external stakeholders and stakeholders within WFP.
• Strong understanding of food security concepts and principals with a broad knowledge of best practices, techniques, and processes around emergency food assistance.
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to analyze and interpret information and draw out the key messages.
• Capacity to produce high quality products when working under pressure and with competing deadlines.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Wednesday 31 May 2023
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: