WFP Global Office Berlin - Business Support Assistant G5 1
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status, physical or mental disability.
We are seeking to fill a short-term position (11 months) of Business Support Assistant G5, based in the WFP Global Office in Berlin, Germany.
Please note that this vacancy announcement is being issued internally and externally.
Please note that this is a local recruitment. Candidates must be residents of Germany and have a legal work permit there. In addition, candidates must reside in Germany, within commuting distance to the location of the office in the duty station Berlin, Germany (Zimmerstraße 79-80, 10117 Berlin) at the time of application or, if not residing within commuting distance at the time of application, candidates must be willing to relocate to Berlin, Germany at their own cost before taking up the assignment. WFP shall not be responsible for any costs associated with such relocation nor shall WFP assist or otherwise be involved in obtaining residency status or legal work permits. Preference will be given to candidates who reside within commuting distance of Berlin, Germany.
The World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
Powered by the passion, dedication and professionalism of more than 22,000 employees worldwide, the WFP works in over 120 countries and territories to bring life-saving food to people displaced by conflict and made destitute by disasters, and help individuals and communities find life-changing solutions to the multiple challenges they face in building better futures.
For its efforts to combat hunger, for its contribution to bettering conditions for peace in conflict-affected areas and for acting as a driving force in efforts to prevent the use of hunger as a weapon of war and conflict, WFP was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2020. Working at WFP will give you the opportunity to be enriched by truly meaningful work and deepen your professional expertise.
WFP’s Global Office Germany in Berlin was established in 2004 to strengthen the partnerships with the government authorities and other stakeholders in Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein, as well as for media and public relations in the German-speaking parts of Europe. Throughout the past years, Germany emerged to be WFP’s second largest bilateral government donor.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
Under the direct supervision of the Director or a designate in his office, the Business Support Assistant will deliver a wide range of business support processes and activities to facilitate effective service delivery. The selected incumbent will be mainly involved in the smooth running of the daily administrative and logistical activities in the Office of the Director, ensuring timely and effective provision of front office operations. This includes, but not limited to :
- Exchange of information with HQ Divisions and Units, Regional Bureaux and Country Offices, as well as with external partners and other relevant stakeholders, such as embassies, UN agencies, international institutions, government offices.
- Receive all incoming correspondences addressed to the Director's Office.
- Maintains the Director’s calendar by including establishing/ arranging appointments,
- Receives and directs visitors by placing and screening calls and answering queries, making contacts with embassies, UN agencies, international institutions, government offices, etc.;
- Provide Coordination and logistical support for meetings of the Director within and outside of the organisation
- Draw to the Director's attention important, sensitive, and time-bound information followed by independent monitoring of commitments and deadlines.
- Makes travel arrangements, including travel itinerary, booking, logistical requirements, visa, all protocol, and other administrative matters.
- Carry out any other functions including assisting in the administrative duties and logistical support as assigned.
The ideal candidate should be a good team player, able to produce accurate and organized work with minimal supervision and to maintain an effective communication (written and verbal) with a range of internal and external stakeholders, while displaying a proactive and client-oriented approach as well a strong ability to deal with sensitive and confidential matters.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive, nor exhaustive)
- Collate information for inclusion in reports, documents and correspondence, to support the effective work of other staff.
- Respond to standard queries and provide timely and accurate guidance.
- Process and manage routine administrative and financial tasks in various functional areas, to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources
- Manage and maintain records and databases, to ensure information is organised and readily available for staff.
- Maintain relationships with a range of individuals through provision of business support to assist in information sharing and service delivery to staff.
- Proof-read reports, documentation, correspondence, etc., making changes in line with established guidelines where appropriate.
- Contribute to improvement of business procedures and processes.
- Collect and perform basic analysis of data to contribute to quality business information management.
- Provide guidance to junior colleagues in performing their duties.
SPECIFIC POST REQUIREMENTS (As required by the Hiring Manager)
- Experience in processing and providing administrative support to senior managers including calendar management, travel/protocol assistance, preparation and proofreading of correspondence /memos
- Experience organizing and coordinating internal and external meetings and events (both physical and virtual)
- Knowledge of MS Office applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint for data extraction and reporting and visualization
- Good communication, client orientation, organization and teamwork skills
- Experience interacting with internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of ERP systems, preferably SAP Software
- Experience working in a United Nations common system agency, international organization or non-governmental organization
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
Education: Completion of secondary school education. A post-secondary certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Language: Working knowledge (proficiency/FAO level C) of English and at least intermediate knowledge (level B) of German
Experience: Five or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of specialised common business practices and methods, gained through relevant technical training and experience.
- Ability to develop and maintain relationships with a range of individuals in order to provide a high-quality support service.
- Ability to carry out basic data analysis and independently rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to monitor and record financial transactions.
- Good communication skills required to give and receive information and work with a variety of individuals.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
WFP LEADERSHIP FRAMEWORK: COMMON STANDARDS OF BEHAVIOUR
Leads by Example with Integrity:
- Upholds WFP values, principles, and standards: Demonstrates the WFP values, principles and standards
- Respects others and values diversity: Values diversity using respectful and inclusive language
- Stays focused and calm under pressure: Stays focused and calm when under pressure
- Demonstrates humility and a willingness to learn: Shows humility and a willingness to learn and share knowledge, seeking and acting on feedback, and taking up opportunities to develop
Drives Results and Delivers on Commitments:
- Delivers results for maximum impact: Is accountable for the delivery of results
- Delegates appropriately: Seeks guidance and support where needed
- Adapts readily to change: Adapts readily to change adjusting work as needed
Fosters Inclusive and Collaborative:
- Is inclusive and collaborative: Promotes teamwork by sharing ideas and openly raising issues
- Gives timely and constructive feedback: Gives timely and constructive feedback to others
- Builds and shares new perspectives: Listens attentively to others and shares views
Applies Strategic Thinking:
- Communicates and fulfils WFP’s vision: Embraces WFP’s vision and how it impacts their role
- Embraces curiosity and new ways of doing things: Shows curiosity and implements new ways of doing things when relevant
- Analyses and evaluates data: Gathers data and shares knowledge to inform team activities
- Considers the impact of decisions: Asks questions to understand the impact of decisions for their objectives
Builds and Maintains Sustainable Partnerships:
- Builds partnerships: Acts professionally with external partners
- Collaborates to deliver common objectives: Works together with partners to deliver common goals
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience. Please visit the following website for detailed information on working with WFP “ http://www.wfp.org Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Applicants must be:
- Be German Residents holding a valid passport and/or identity card, or a valid Resident Permit to work and live in the country.
- Reside within commuting distance (100-kilometer radius or distance that can be covered within 1.5 hours by car or public transport under average conditions of traffic, weather, and roads) to the office location at the duty station (Zimmerstrasse 79/80, 10117 Berlin / Germany). If not residing within commuting distance at the time of application, candidates must be willing to relocate to Berlin, Germany at their own cost before taking up the assignment. WFP shall not be responsible for any costs associated with such relocation nor shall WFP assist or otherwise be involved in obtaining residency status or legal work permits. Preference will be given to candidates who reside within commuting distance of Berlin, Germany.
- Be able to work remotely.
Please note that only applications submitted in English via WFP careers web site will be considered.
Deadline for applications: 28 May 2023
Ref. VA: 827292
All employment decisions are made on the basis of organizational needs, job requirements, merit, and individual qualifications. WFP is committed to providing an inclusive work environment free of sexual exploitation and abuse, all forms of discrimination, any kind of harassment, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. Therefore, all selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: