Facility Management Associate
- Organization: UNWOMEN - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
- Location: Kabul
- Grade: Administrative support - GS-6, General Service - No need for Higher Education - Locally recruited position
- Administrative support
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Closing Date: 2023-06-08
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Afghanistan is one of the world’s most complex emergencies, and the world’s largest humanitarian crisis. Afghan people are grappling with the impact of conflict, poverty, economic decline, and natural disasters. In this context, Afghan women and girls face unique vulnerabilities and require urgent support as gender inequality is interwoven with conflict dynamics and humanitarian needs. It is essential that Afghan women and girls can continue to shape the development of their country, and that their gains are protected. UN Women remains fully committed to supporting Afghan women and girls and to putting them at the center of the global response to the crisis in Afghanistan. UN Women has been in Afghanistan for two decades. UN Women’s programming approach is informed by analysis of the political, economic, and humanitarian situation, risks to and capacities of partner organizations, and needs of Afghan women and girls. UN Women Afghanistan currently has four key programme priorities: (1) Gender in Humanitarian Action, (2) Ending Violence Against Women, (3) Women’s Economic Empowerment, and (4) Women, Peace, and Security.
Reporting to the Procurement and Administration Specialist, the Facility Management Associate in the UN Women Afghanistan Country Office will provide administrative and logistical support to Operations and programme units that include procurement transaction through new ERP system, contract & lease agreement management and travel arrangement for offices, accommodations located in Kabul and sub-offices. The Facility Management Associate will be responsible for any other duties related to Facilities and Administrative Services as assigned by supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Liaise with UNAMA and other UN Agencies in the compound related to Afghanistan Country Office (ACO) facilities
- Serve as the focal point for ACO facilities management;
- Provide assistance on all incoming requests and communicate with client during all phases of task;
- Inspect the conditions of the office and accommodation buildings and suggest areas for improvement and coordinate action as necessaryp;
- Liaise with the cleaning service contractor on pest control, garbage collection, and cleaning services;
- Prepare and follow-up on Work Orders for Office and accommodation maintenance and related requests from personnel; act as construction and renovation projects assistant focal point;
2. Provide administrative and logistical support to the Operations Unit
- Provide check-in support for new personnel and visitors, including building ID access, office space setup and related services;
- Provide check-out support for exiting personnel, including ID card termination and related actions;
- Coordinate internal office moves;
- Provide administrative support in the procurement of office furniture;
- Monitor and order stationary, office supplies, and business cards. Ensure supplies ordered are in line with sustainability and recycling policies of UN Greening the Blue;
- Submit requests for stationary including business cards and ad hoc items as needed by personnel;
- Manage Facilities staff (cleaners). Strive to improve efficiencies in service delivery and arrange training, where required;
- Oversee effective operation of tea-points, meeting rooms and other shared spacesp; manage all contractors attending onsite and work with Facilities team, where required, to ensure contractors carry out their work in a safe and effective manner;
- Operate as the principal point of contact for reporting site maintenance issues and capturing of reported incidents;
- Be the first point of contact on Facilities issues for all building users (ACO);
3. Oversee Mail & Distribution
- Maintain updated list of publications stored in UN Women ACO storage facility; update regularly
- Email monthly expenditures on pouch/international courier/mail charges to respective budget owners;
- Maintain invoices and chargeback records of shipments per UN Women units using barcode system;
- Update mailing, distribution and mailing lists and labels on a regular basis;
- Maintain updated inventory, distribution and mailing lists on UN Women’s Intranet page.
- Professional communication with UN Women stakeholders external personnel on facilities related matters;
- Liaise with Pouch and Mail focal points in UN-Secretariat to resolve queries / clarification from client’s issues and concerns;
4. Perform buyer and travel processor roles in support of Operations and Programme Unit
- Provide advice and technical support on Procurement related issues
- Provide initial review with immediate feedback/comments on requests for Purchase Order and Supplier Update & Registration
- Review and update procurement logs with link to e-filing of contracts, POs, travels, supplier profile and procurement related documents in SharePoint system.
- Undertake negotiations with potential suppliers including contribute to capacity building of suppliers to be able to compete in Global Market
- Create, monitor and maintain purchase order for office, accommodation and sub-offices
5. Perform any other duties as assigned by supervisor related to Facilities and Administrative Services.
- Preparing the Work Order forms for maintenance and repairing of the equipment for ACO and accommodations.
- Follow up with facility management for performing the required maintenance services in ACO and Accommodations
- Verifying the performed services by facility management unit and reporting to Operations Manager
- Conducting regular check-up of the accommodations and reporting to head of admin logistics unit
- Participating as team member in physical inspection of goods received and handover process
- Assisting the team in inspection of inventory
- Assisting in repairing of the equipment under warranty and follow up with relevant suppliers / vendors
- Conducting small purchases for maintenance of office, when required
- Assist in physical check-up & inspection of the storage of the cleaning materials for Office building and Accommodations
- Ensure booking of staff rooms at UN Women accommodation and from other UN agencies
Key Performance Indicators
- All services are provided in compliance with UN Women rules, regulations and policies.
- UN Women Office (s) and accommodation building (s) are well-managed, equipped, secured, and maintained per standard of operations.
- Contracts and Lease Agreements related to UN Women facilities are updated, tracked and paid on timely manner.
- UN Women guests and residents are timely and effectively supported on logistic and administrative arrangement.
- Database on inventory and supplies for office and accommodation are up-to-date.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/sites/default/files/Headquarters/Attachments/Sections/About%20Us/Employment/UN-Women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more practice areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions
- Ability to extract, interpret, analyze data and resolve operational problems
- Ability to supervise and train support staff
- Ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large volume of work
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Strong IT skills, knowledge of web-based ERP systems such as Peoplesoft or Oracle (Quantum)
- Ability to provide input to business processes re-engineering, implementation of new system
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure;
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Secondary Education with specialized certification in Administration is required;
- University Degree in Business, Administration and Finance, would be desirable, but it is not a requirement;
- Minimum 6 years of relevant experience in facilities management, administration or program support service with secondary; education, or minimum 4 years’ relevant experience with a Bachelor degree;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems. Experience with ERP systems, preferably PeopleSoft, desirable;
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of the other UN official language is an asset;
- Knowledge of Dari and/or Pashto is required;
- All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) which can be downloaded from Application and recruitment process | About us: Careers at UN Women | UN Women – Headquarters Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the completed UN Women P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality, and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW, and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.
At UN Women, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment of mutual respect. UN Women recruits employ, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, ability, national origin, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, competence, integrity, and organizational need.
If you need any reasonable accommodation to support your participation in the recruitment and selection process, please include this information in your application.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UN Women, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to UN Women’s policies and procedures and the standards of conduct expected of UN Women personnel and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. (Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.)