Programme Analyst, Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Kathmandu
- Grade: Junior level - NO-B, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2023-06-08
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women Nepal’s Strategic Note (SN) for the period 2023-27 lays out the agency’s unique role and comparative advantage in supporting national stakeholders in advancing gender equality and the empowerment of women in line with internationally agreed normative standards. The SN is aligned with and contributes to Nepal’s national priorities as described in Nepal’s Fifteen Plan, its gender equality commitments, the needs of women’s organisations and the UNSDCF 2023-27 with a commitment of leaving no one behind.
UN Women is one of the participating UN Agencies in the EU funded UN Joint Programme “Empowered Women, Prosperous Nepal”. This is a four-year (2023-2026) joint programme to be implemented by four agencies (UNICEF, UN Women, ILO and UNFPA) . The project will be implemented in three provinces of Nepal namely Madhesh, Karnali and Sudurpaschim province.
The overall objective of the JP is to contribute to the full realisation of Nepalese women and girls’ human rights and agency. The project seeks to unlock Nepalese women and girls’ potential through strategic actions targeting the underlying drivers of gender inequality and investment in gender equality accelerators. In realizing the aforementioned objectives, the project will focus on achieving the following outcomes (1) Men and boys, families and communities demonstrate more gender-equitable behaviours and support for positive social and gender norms that promote GEWE, and women and and girls have increased agency and voice. (2) Women, men, girls and boys, in all their diversity, access opportunities to exercise their equal economic, labour and social rights. (3) Institutions deliver gender equality outcomes in all spheres, in line with international and national normative frameworks.
Reporting to the Programme Coordinator (Programme Management and Inclusive Governance), the Programme Analyst contributes to the effective management of UN Women programmes in the NCO by providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. The Programme Analyst guides and facilitates the delivery of UN Women programmes by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. The Programme Analyst works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women HQ personnel, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women programme implementation under portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the area of Women’s Economic Empowerment
- Provide substantive inputs to the design and formulation of programme/ project proposals and initiatives on women’s economic security and rights;
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme.
- Contribute to planning and effective rollout of the new programmatic approaches.
- Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of the Women’s Economic Empowerment programme
- Provide technical inputs to the annual workplan and budget;
- Lead the implementation of programme activities;
- Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities;
- Develop technical knowledge products
- Maintain relationships with national, provincial and local level partners to support implementation and expansion of the women’s economic empowerment programme;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed.
- Support and coordinate with partner organizations/service providers in strengthening their relationships with networks of excluded women for smooth implementation of the programme activities.
- Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results s, outputs and outcomes;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports.
- Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of the women’s economic empowerment programme
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- Provide substantive inputs to financial reports;
- Provide logistic, coordination and any other programme management expertise as requested by supervisors.
- Manage and supervise technical consultants, UNV, Associate and/or Assistant as relevant.
- Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated.
- Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on Women’s Economic Empowerment to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country
- Provide substantive technical support to the Representative and Deputy Representative on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports and briefs.
- Coordinate with other UN agencies, government department at all levels, donors and NGOs to ensure the JP’s interventions are harmonized and aligned with other actors in the country.
- Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, briefs and presentations related to women’s economic security and rights;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on women’s economic security and rights.
Develop advocacy strategies and oversee the implementation together with other implementing agencies
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Strong knowledge of gender equality and women’s right issues in Nepal
- Good programme formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good knowledge of Results Based Management
- Ability to gather and interpret data, reach logical conclusions and present findings and recommendations
- Good analytical skills
- Good knowledge of women’s economic empowerment, economic security and rights
- Ability to identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
Application Procedure (Kindly note that the system will only allow one attachment. Applications without the complete documents will not be considered for further assessment). Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- Motivation letter
- UN Women Personal History form (P-11), which can be downloaded from https://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment/application-process
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS' BANK ACCOUNTS.
UN Women has a zero-tolerance against Sexual exploitation and Abuse (SEA) and sexual harassment (SH). Everyone is responsible for preventing sexual exploitation and abuse (PSEA), and all UN personnel must adhere to the standards of conduct that preserves PSEA principles (both during work hours and outside work hours). All selected candidates will, therefore, go through a safe hiring process.
UN Women retain the rights to contract referees directly. UN Women is committed to achieve work force diversity (in term of gender, nationality, minority groups, caste/ethnic groups, Person with Disability etc.) and have policy to have gender balance among staff at all levels. Qualified female candidates and candidates particularly from disadvantage and socially excluded groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with highest confidentiality.