Senior Administrative Assistant
Post Number : SC 469
Grade : G-6
Parent Sector : Natural Sciences Sector (SC)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Administration
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable (Expected entry on duty on 01/01/2024)
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 26-JUN-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Applicants must be entitled to live and work in France.OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Natural Sciences (ADG/SC) and the direct supervision of the Chief of Finance & Administration Unit (SC/AO), the incumbent shall assist in the delivery of activities financed from Regular budget and Voluntary contributions. The incumbent provides high-level administrative and support services in a range of specialized areas and plays a lead role within the Unit ensuring application and compliance with the rules, regulations, policies, and practices.
In particular, the incumbent will:
- Act as certifying officer up to the authorized level delegated by the Chief Financial Officer (CFO).
- Provide guidance and interpretation on administrative regulations and procedures and advise on technical and operational transactions as well as complex and non-recurring actions
- Ensure that Sector’s, in particular assigned Division’s financial resources and expenditures are fully and properly accounted for and that internal control systems are adequate and functioning, schedule payments and disbursement of funds.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of assigned accounts, developing budget estimates and monitoring expenditures, participating and advising in the preparation of financial statements and budgets.
- Assist in the preparation and coordination of financial activities under Regular Programme funds and Voluntary contributions.
- Monitor expenditures, review payments and reconcile accounts, and provide necessary information and guidance to Divisional staff.
- Compile and consolidate data from various sources into financial statements, prepare worksheets.
- Draft and prepare memoranda, substantive reports, and correspondence to respond to enquiries in respect to relevant financial and budget matters.
- Review draft reports, verify overall accuracy and consistency, cross-check consistency of figures.
- Maintain and update budgetary and financial documents/reports for audit purpose and take action to implement audit recommendations.
- Undertakes reviews, analyses and advise on planning, budgeting and its revisions, and recommend modifications; Prepare Regular Programme and Voluntary contribution budget reports and communicate on them.
- Provide assistance and guidance to undertake coding and data entry ask and to extract information, to run reports from online financial systems.
- Procurement: research and retrieve information on supply sources, vendors by commodity and obtain specifications on the market.
- Review contractual documents (Terms of Reference, budget, contract nature and type).
- Resolve issues/ problems related to delivery of contracts.
- Prepare requisitions for supplies and equipment; ensure that payments are processed and provide information to the assigned Divisions on invoicing and payment issues.
- Arrange for control and distribution of inventory records, when applicable.
- Liaise with central services (HRM, BFM, BSP, ADM etc) to discuss and obtain additional information, clarifications and policy interpretation.
Additional activities that may be required to ensure the success of the work team.COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Accountability (C) Communication (C) Innovation (C) Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C) Planning and organizing (C) Results focus (C) Teamwork (C) Professionalism (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Completed secondary, technical and/or vocational education.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of experience in finance, budget, accounting, administrative services, or related area.
- Experience dealing with budgetary and administrative issues.
- Experience in working with ERP systems (Enterprise Resource Planning).
Skills and Competencies
- Good interpersonal and communication skills in order to provide specialized administrative support to a wide range of Individuals.
- Excellent organizational and coordination skills, ability to take initiative, establish priorities and monitor own work plans.
- Strong service orientation and ability to deal efficiently with partners at different levels.
- Ability to analyze and interpret administrative rules.
- Ability to take initiatives and to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships in multi-cultural environment.
- Ability to work as part of a team, to take initiative and to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Ability to work under pressure, follow up on issues promptly, and to work efficiently under pressure, flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Excellent IT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel. PowerPoint, etc) and database packages.
- Excellent knowledge of English (oral and written) with working knowledge of French.
- Certificate and/or training in Administration or any other related area
- Experience in handling large tables and administering contracts within an international organization.
- Experience in using SAP, Finance and Business Services (FABS) and/or various applications for budget, contract, travel management and/or similar in a United Nations (UN) system would be a advantage
- Experience in application of UN rules in operational environment, including administration.
- Working experience in the UN system, or at similar or international or bilateral organizations.
- Knowledge of another official language of UNESCO (Chinese, Arabic, Russian or Spanish).
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: