Research Technician-Research Technician
- Organization: ICRISAT - The International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics
- Location: Hyderabad
- Grade: Mid level - Mid level
- Technology, Electronics and Mechanics
- Scientist and Researcher
- Closing Date:
to field staff
ICRISAT seeks applications for a Research Technician for The World Vegetable Center (WorldVeg) at its South and Central Asia Regional Office in Hyderabad, India, to work in the Vegetable Diversity & Improvement Flagship, in Chilli breeding program. This is a nationally recruited position and is open for Indian nationals only.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. Covering 6.5 million square kilometers of land in 55 countries, the semi- arid or dryland tropics has over 2 billion people and 644 million of these are the poorest of the poor. ICRISAT and its partners help empower these disadvantaged populations to overcome poverty, hunger and a degraded environment through better agricultural production systems.
ICRISAT is headquartered at Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and eight country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT envisions a prosperous, food-secure and resilient dryland tropics. Its mission is to reduce poverty, hunger, malnutrition and environmental degradation in the dryland tropics. ICRISAT conducts research on its mandate crops of chickpea, pigeonpea, groundnut, sorghum, pearl millet and finger millet in the arid and semi-arid tropics. The Institute focuses its work on the drylands and in protecting the environment. Tropical dryland areas are usually seen as resource-poor and perennially beset by shocks such as drought, thereby trapping dryland communities in poverty and hunger and making them dependent on external aid. Please visit â www.icrisat.org
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise field trials, collect data in precise, and maintain records of all activities undertaken under chilli breeding under the direction of reporting manager.
- Maintain seed inventory and assist in seed production.
- Ensure the execution of breeding experiments as per the agreed plans and schedules and planted according to the trial design.
- Ensure the research trials are well managed and that there is frequent communication with the team.
- Ensure timely data collection and intervention of suitable agronomic practices at different stage of the trials in the field and the nurseries.
- Must have knowledge on common pest and diseases and its management in vegetables.
- Assist in developing basic technical reports in coordination with project team members Supervise casual labour.
- Manage printing labels, tags and also seed inventory.
- Maintaining of safety and hygiene standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor from time to time.
- Bachelorâs degree/Undergraduate degree with at least 2 years of working experience in projects related to vegetables.
- Familiarity with Chilli breeding and related research operations (pollination, data collection from trials and nurseries).
- Ability to drive and travel independently in the region to monitor the trials Ability to manage labor, estimate labor demand, and provide supervision to field staff to manage research activities.
- Ability to work independently with minimal day to day supervision and proactively solve problems Good written and verbal communication skills.
- Curiosity and a desire to continuously learn about science.
This is a contractual role for a period of 36 months (3 years).
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 12 June 2023, with their
latest Resume, and the names and contact information of three references that
are knowledgeable about their professional qualifications and work experience.
All applications will be acknowledged; however only short-listed candidates
will be contacted.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer