MLPP 2023_Programme Specialist (Education)
Post Number : MLPP 2023_6CMED0006RP
Grade : P-3
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Yaounde
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Fixed Term
Duration of contract : 2 years, renewable
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 31-OCT-2023
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
This position is part of the Mid-Level Professionals Programme (MLPP).
We strongly encourage applicants from non- and under-represented Member States to apply.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education (ADG/ED), and the immediate supervision of the Director of Regional and Multisectoral Office in Yaounde, the incumbent is responsible for education programme and project work, advice, capacity development, research and knowledge management, networking, partnerships, and resource mobilization.
The incumbent works within the frameworks of UNESCO’s Medium-Term Strategy (C/4s), the approved Programme and Budget (C/5) and global/regional development plans such as the 2030 Agenda and the Continental Education Strategy for Africa 2016-2025. The incumbent is responsible for ensuring quality and evidence-based programming in line with the strategic axis of UNESCO Education Sector, the UNESCO Regional Education Strategy, and country specific priorities. The incumbent is expected to contribute, through programming and technical support, to regional and country education strategies and programmes, competency building, and surge capacity for the development/transformation of education systems, including in countries affected by crisis/conflict.
More specifically, the incumbent will:
- Participate in the conceptualization, design, planning, development, coordination, monitoring and implementation of the Education programmes, projects, and initiatives of Regional Bureau in line with UNESCO’s Medium Term Strategy, the approved Programme and Budget, the 2030 Agenda, the Continental Education Strategy for Africa 2016-2025, and as per countries’ needs and priorities, including in emergency and crisis situations.
- Appraise and analyse the context of education in the region and the countries concerned, including the Education Management Information Systems (EMIS), education quality and relevance, internal efficiency, teacher policies and development, Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET), etc., and assist line ministries in formulating sound policy advice and strategies to ensure the transformation of education systems.
- Develop, plan, implement, and coordinate initiatives pertinent to education development and transformation, at country and regional level, to scale up inclusive policies, good practices, and expand knowledge base evidence.
- Contribute to the provision of policy advice and technical assistance to ministries of education and education partners. Provide advice and technical support to field office and peers on matters related to education development/transformation and advice on applicable tools, policies, and resources.
- Monitor regular and extra budgetary funded projects, activities, and programme implementation and outputs in a timely, coherent, and integrated manner.
- Contribute to the evaluation of and report on projects and programmes. Provide inputs to the preparation of reports on the implementation of projects and other briefings.
- Contribute to UNESCO’s involvement in the UN works/initiatives, identify areas for improved alignment of projects and activities at country and region levels, including the preparation of Common Country Assessments (CCAs), United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks (UNSDCF), Country Programme Documents (CPDs) and Country Programme Action Plans (CPAPs), in alignment with UN and UNESCO regional objectives as well as country’s priorities.
- Participate in the Local Education Group (LEG) and contribute to the coordination and exchange between concerned parties such as UNESCO HQs, governments, UN agencies, International Organizations, Civil Society Organizations, and bilateral donors.
- Contribute to networking, partnership building and fund-raising efforts to support the implementation of education programs, projects, and activities by creating/exploring partnership opportunities, identifying funding potentials, preparing project proposals and cooperation frameworks and following up with donors.
- Contribute to the development and expansion of a knowledge base on the particular area(s)/theme(s) of assignment, ensuring regular contributions to web and printed content and dissemination to colleagues, peers and stakeholders.
- Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in Education, Social Sciences or other related areas.
- A minimum of four (4) years of professional experience in analysis, planning, development, management and implementation of education programmes, of which two (2) years acquired at international level.
- Proven experience in the areas of programme development, technical assistance, resource mobilization, and program monitoring and evaluation.
Skills & Competencies
- Very good knowledge of the contexts, priorities, and challenges of education systems in developing countries, in particular in African countries.
- Excellent coordination, organization, and planning skills.
- Ability to build effective teams, promote teamwork and foster cross-sectoral collaboration. Ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in multi-cultural environment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, with ability to draft clear and concise reports/documents and to communicate persuasively.
- Ability to raise funds and mobilize resources.
- Excellent knowledge of French and good knowledge of English.
- Experience in implementing programme and projects at least in one of the following domains: Education Management Information System (EMIS), Technical and Vocational Education and Training, Teacher Policies and Development, Inclusive Education, Education in Emergencies, Non-Formal Education (NFE).
- Working knowledge of Portuguese and Spanish.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is 92 398,36 US $.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO Careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States (last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: