Programme Policy Officer- Livelihoods - SC8 (WFP Egypt Country Office)
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
WFP’s Regional Bureau for the Middle East and Northern Africa (RBC), based in Cairo, Egypt, provides strategic guidance, policy/technical support, and direction to WFP operations and activities in 15 countries: Algeria, Armenia, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, State of Palestine, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine, and Yemen. These country offices (COs) aim to assist roughly one-third of all of WFP’s beneficiaries (approx. 30 million) in some of the most critical humanitarian emergencies of our time. RBC is also active in the ‘Changing Lives’ side of WFP’s mandate, helping national governments and local communities improve nutrition, livelihoods, school feeding, social protection, climate, and disaster risk reduction, and other programmes that build resilience and support development.
Why to work in WFP
SAVING & CHANGING LIVES ❤
Make a difference, and the world will notice.
We are driven by our mission to fight world hunger and feed people’s dreams of a brighter future.
GLOBAL COMMUNITY 🌍
Build bridges that unite people across the world.
Being part of a global, diverse, and multicultural community like WFP, will continuously expose you to new ideas and perspectives.
How we deliver our mission with deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team, will certainly enrich your experience and knowledge on so many levels.
UNLIMITED POSSIBILITIES 💡
Unlock possibilities you never thought you'd find.
WFP goes anywhere it is needed and does whatever it takes to get the job done.
LIFE-CHANGING EXPERIENCE ⭐
Reach beyond yourself and discover your true potential.
WFP offers the kind of life-changing experiences you’re unlikely to find in many other organizations.
Join us to make a difference
Watch this video to know more about us!!
BACKGROUND AND PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT:
Under the new Country Strategic Programme 2023-2028, WFP is committed to continuing to support the Government in addressing nutrition and food security challenges within the framework of Egypt’s updated Vision 2030 roadmap to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, leaving no one behind. The main objectives of the Programme focus on emergency support to refugees and other crisis-affected populations and building the resilience of vulnerable populations especially in synergy with the ”Haya Karima” presidential rural development initiative
through a locally based, integrated approach.
WFP operates in partnership with a network of governmental and Non-Governmental Organizations in selected governorates with a focus on Upper Egypt and frontier governorates. WFP also benefits from the presence of field staff located in these governorates who follow up on the efficient implementation of activities and plans in the field and ensure WFP rules and regulations and procedures are followed by the cooperating partners.
The purpose of the assignment advertised is for to provide support to WFP activities in field operations by heading the unit responsible for the development and management of partnerships with Non-Governmental Organizations and for supervising WFP field staff as per the organization’s effective and efficient management of WFP programmes and activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide project management support to livelihoods and economic empowerment programmes and projects of considerable size/complexity, ensuring a coordinated approach with wider WFP Egypt programmes and alignment with national strategies. This includes programmes and projects that enhance access of women to equal livelihood opportunities, income-generation, financial and non-financial services, vocational capacities, skills and markets.
- Support in the development of a wide variety of projects, plans and processes that aim to promote women’s economic participation, support transitioning into resilient households as part of social protection programmes and address the root causes of gender inequalities.• Research and analyze a range of policy and operational information, approaches and trends at the national, regional and global levels to support senior colleagues in the development of livelihood resilience and economic empowerment policies, programmes and interventions.
- Prepare and monitor budgets for new and ongoing projects, analyze and report on financial status and progress towards outcomes/outputs, ensuring accuracy and timeliness.
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships and coordination with government stakeholders, development partners, civil society and the private sector.
- Contribute to strengthening capacities of government stakeholders, especially at the local level, cooperating partner NGOs, as well as WFP staff to prepare for and manage programme interventions and including digitalization and digital marketing.
- Manage the performance of CO cooperating partner NGOs in the target locations, follow-up closely on implementation of activities according to plan, achievements of results and reporting accuracy and timeliness.
- Manage data collection, information sharing and communications with various stakeholders and beneficiaries, and support the management of knowledge and evidence generation through needs assessments, baseline and endline assessments, context analysis and other, while confirming rigorous quality standards are maintained.
- Represent WFP Egypt in inter-agency coordination meetings and thematic working groups in relation to gender equality and women’s economic empowerment. Coordinate WFP’s participation in international and national events related to gender equality and women’s empowerment, including through joint activities and collaboration with partners.
Additional Key Accountabilities:
- Support the identification, development and management of potential partnerships to ensure collaborative relationship leading to improved livelihoods.
- Contribute to the preparation of accurate and timely reporting on programmes and activities that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Liaise with internal and external counterparts to ensure effective collaboration, monitor ongoing projects and highlight potential risks to project delivery.
- Support in integrating protection and gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men in livelihoods and empowerment.
- Contribute to the preparation of proposals, progress and analytical reports, briefs, visibility material and information products corporately and for donors.
- Oversee the performance of implementing partners and local stakeholders in relation to all assigned activities, including training, lending financial and operational management, preparation of technical progress reports, financial cash flows, visibility and other.
- Participate in different periodic meetings or workshops with local stakeholders and undertake briefing/awareness sessions with relevant partners as needed.
- Perform other duties assigned by the supervisor and Head of Programme.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Advanced University degree in International Affairs, Economics, Business Administration, Gender Equality, Social Sciences, or other field relevant to international development assistance, or First University Degree with additional years of experience.
Fluency in both oral and written communication in the Arabic and English languages.
Experience: At least 3 years of professional experience in implementing development and/or emergency programmes
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has gained experience in implementing technical programs (for example: women’s empowerment, livelihoods, financial inclusion, education, information management, etc.
- Has implemented programmes and provided input into designing operations, managing, and monitoring.
- Has experience in providing technical support to the government and input into policy discussions and decisions.
|Capability Name||Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level|
|Programme Lifecycle & Food Assistance||Demonstrates ability to identify key variables and contextual factors that affect food assistance problems and programmes throughout the lifecycle to inform quality programme design or re-design.|
|Transfer Modalities (Food, Cash, Voucher)||Demonstrates ability to analyze and consolidate quantitative and qualitative information from different sources (e.g., market studies) to inform transfer modality selection and programme development. (i.e. Nutrition, VAM, etc.)|
|Broad Knowledge of Specialized areas||Demonstrates the ability to interpret basic data in the context of WFP specialised fields, including food security, lending, women’s economic empowerment, and gender equality, to contribute to technical programme design, implementation, and monitoring.|
|Strategic Policy Engagement w/ Government||Develops thorough recommendations using multiple inputs (e.g., government counsel, research, own experience) to strengthen national or subnational entities and government-owned economic empowerment and food security programmes.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
|Job Title||Programme Policy Officer - Livelihoods & Women Economic Empowerment|
|Type of Contract||Service contract|
|Duration||One year, Renewable|
|Duty Station||Cairo, Egypt|
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Monday 18 Septemeber 2023 (Midnight Egypt time)
WFP celebrates and embraces diversity. It is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, color, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, HIV status or disability.
Qualified Female candidates and Individuals with disabilities are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP is committed to an accessible, inclusive recruitment process. Please contact us at email@example.com to advise us of any disability-related reasonable accommodation or accessibility requests you may have. A member of the reasonable accommodation team will contact you to confidentially discuss your needs. This email is only to be used for any disability-related accessibility requirements, and not for sending the application itself. Due to the volume of applications, any applications or CVs sent through this email address will not be considered as a formal application and will not receive a reply from WFP.
WFP has a zero-tolerance approach to conduct such as fraud, sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to WFP’s standards of conduct and will therefore undergo rigorous background verification internally or through third parties. Selected candidates will also be required to provide additional information as part of the verification exercise. Misrepresentation of information provided during the recruitment process may lead to disqualification or termination of employment
WFP will not request payment at any stage of the recruitment process including at the offer stage. Any requests for payment should be refused and reported to local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: