National Project Manager (NPSA11)
The Reforms and Innovation in Government for High Performance project aims at supporting the government in key governance reforms and innovation in the public sector for improved performance and service delivery, more transparent accountable, and resilient government institutions, improved interprovincial and inter departmental coordination and increased citizens’ satisfaction. This is done by working closely with relevant government counterparts at the federal and provincial level.
Working under the direct supervision of UNDP Assistant Resident Representative, Democratic Governance Unit, the National Project Manager will exercise overall responsibility for planning, implementation, management, monitoring and coordination of the Project and achievements of its results. The National Project Manager will set the strategic direction for the Project, provide expertise and technical assistance and manage the Project’s day to day activities and ensure proposer management of financial and human resources.
The National Project Manager will work under the direct supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative of UNDP’s Democratic Governance Unit (DGU).
The NPM will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Preparation of Work plans and Formulation of Policy Intervention.
- Operational Management of the Project.
- Formulation and Implementation of Strategy and Action Plan towards Good Governance, Institutional Reform.
- Ensure Effective Communication of project results.
- Establishment and Operationalization of an Effective Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning System
- Development and Implementation of Resource Mobilization Strategy.
Preparation of Work plans and Formulation of Policy Intervention.
- Within the strategic framework agreed with national counterparts and development partners, prepare work plans reflecting the scope of activities, timing, sequencing, cost and other inputs for the implementation of the Project activities;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of policy notes, statements, etc., for high visibility or strategic engagement opportunities (e.g. donor forums, international conferences, etc.) ;
- Provide technical advice to the Project Board, and present work plans, periodic narrative progress reports and expenditures status reports to the Project Board and UNDP Country Office. Contribute in the formulation of any research and policy intervention, as appropriate, based on development experience and research in governance;
Operational Management of the Project
- Ensure operational management of the Project and production of its outputs in accordance with UNDP Programme Operations Policies and Procedures (POPP), UN Frameworks and project strategy document;
- Exercise overall responsibility for planning, implementation, management, monitoring and coordination and ensure appropriate tracking and substantive reporting of project progress for timely and efficient delivery of Project outputs and products leading to the achievement of expected results;
- Manage efficiently the financial resources of the Project, including budgeting and budget revisions, as well as expenditure tracking and reporting; continuously record and maintain relevant Project activities, issues, risks, etc. in the UNDP Atlas Project Management Module (software platform);
Formulation and Implementation of Strategy and Action Plan towards Good Governance, Institutional Reform
- Analyze and advise on policy and implementation options for reform along with parameters of institutional structure, system, process, human resource and E-governance/technology.
- Lead a series of internal and external consultations/workshops on challenges and solutions for governance and operating environment (national and sub-national), and management and accountability imperatives.
- Work closely with various government agencies, including the Ministries and departments, and engage in discussions on various governance policy matters; evaluate the effectiveness of agency programs, policies, and procedures to ensure consistency between national and sub-national level;
Ensure Effective Communication of Project Results
- Ensure high-quality information and visibility of Project activities to the mass media and stakeholders;
- Ensure strong partnerships with relevant government partners and other stakeholders, by facilitating communication and exchange of lessons learned and good practices;
- Lead and coordinate the organization of meetings, workshops, conferences, trainings, study tours and related activities relevant to the implementation of the Project.
Enabling an Effective Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning System
- Identify key performance indicators as well as develop and maintain a monitoring, evaluation and learning system to ensure effective information sharing, provision of feedback and elaboration of top-quality progress reports; leveraging lessons learned and best practices for better impact;
- Ensure quality of project progress and financial reports, plans of action and other documentation requirements of CO;
- Ensure effective risk management.
Development and Implementation of Resource Mobilization Strategy for the Project
- Develop and implement a resource mobilization strategy for Project proactively; Lead on the relationship with donors to ensure ongoing and future resources for the project.
- Prepare different project proposals, project documents, and concept notes to facilitate resource mobilization efforts and in response to UNDP and donors’ commitments.
The incumbent of the position will uphold non-discriminatory behavior and ensure that:
- Human rights and gender equality are prioritized as an ethical principle within all actions;
- Activities are designed and implemented in accordance with “Social and Environmental Standards of UNDP”;
- Any kind of diversities based on ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, disability, religion, class, gender are respected within all implementations including data production;
- Inclusive approaches are reflected within all actions and implementations, in that sense an enabling and accessible setup in various senses such as disability gender language barrier is created.
- The incumbent performs other duties within their functional profile as deemed necessary for the efficient functioning of the Office and the Organization.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 3: Set and align challenging, achievable objectives for multiple projects, have lasting impact
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 3: Proactively mitigate potential risks, develop new ideas to solve complex problems
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 3: Create and act on opportunities to expand horizons, diversify experiences
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 3: Proactively initiate and champion change, manage multiple competing demands
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 3: Think beyond immediate task/barriers and take action to achieve greater results
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 3: Political savvy, navigate complex landscape, champion inter-agency collaboration
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 3: Appreciate benefits of diverse workforce and champion inclusivity
People Management competencies:
- UNDP People Management Competencies can be found in the dedicated site.
- Gender: Gender mainstreaming
- Resource Mobilization: Ability to identify funding sources, match funding needs (programmes/projects/initiatives) with funding opportunities, and establish a plan to meet funding requirements
- System Thinking: Ability to use objective problem analysis and judgement to understand how interrelated elements coexist within an overall process or system, and to consider how altering one element can impact on other parts of the system
- Team design & management: Ability to create a clear sense of shared purpose while leveraging curiosity, expertise and agency at an individual level. Set up and manage team rituals and rhythms that create a safe space for learning and reflection. Foster a positive culture around failure, encourage exploration, experimentation. Set the conditions and structures for 'fluid' team modelling and distributed leadership enabling the team to continuously develop and renew itself. Ability to create synergy between team members with diverse professional and cultural backgrounds, being able to leverage their broad knowledge and skillsets
- Partnerships Management: Ability to build and maintain partnerships Zith Zide networks of stakeholders, Governments, civil society and private sector partners, experts and others in line with UNDP strategy and policies
- Communication: Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience
- Advanced University degree ((master’s degree or equivalent) in Social Sciences, preferably in Economics, Public Policy, Governance, social science or management-related discipline. OR
- A first-level university degree (bachelor’s degree) in combination with an additional two years of qualifying experience will be given due consideration in lieu of the advanced university degree
- Minimum 7 years (with master’s degree) or 9 years (with bachelor’s degree) of working experience preferably in government/public sector, or the development sector, with a focus on project management and/or experience in institutional development and capacity building in public sector institutions
- Demonstrated experience of working in civil service of Pakistan in management positions is required
- Demonstrated experience in managing large teams with diverse technical and ethnic backgrounds is desirable
- Demonstrated experience of working with large international (bi-lateral/multilateral) organizations, preferably from the donors community is an asset.
- Demonstrated experience of partnership management and resource mobilization, focus on impact and results as well as maintaining effective coordination with stakeholders in government and development partners is an asset.
- Prior experience in strong intellectual and operational capacity in providing advisory services to stakeholders;
- Excellent computer skills, with MS. Office(Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is highly desirable
- Fluency in English and Urdu is required
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: