Programme Manager x 2 - Nepal ( Karnali/Lumbini )
Since 2004, International IDEA has supported three main areas of the democratic process in Nepal: transition to peace and to a democratic system, constitution building and electoral processes. During the period 2004-2015, International IDEA’s main partners included the two Constituent Assemblies, their Legislature Parliaments and Secretariats, the Ministry of Federal Affairs and Local Development and the Election Commission of Nepal.
In 2015, once the new Constitution was promulgated and Nepal became a Federal Republic with three spheres of government – federal, provincial and local - International IDEA’s work shifted towards supporting the implementation of key constitutional provisions, supporting the newly introduced federal system by strengthening local government system through deliberative political decision-making processes, in partnership with the Ministry of Federal Affairs and General Administration (MOFAGA) and the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).
Coherence is a joint programme co-created by the MOFAGA, FCDO/BEK and International IDEA, with the overall aim of promoting political coherence within the Nepali system, focused on local and provincial government systems.
In the transition phase of Coherence (July 2023 - July 2024), the programme under component 4- Demand-led support to BEK change processes, portfolio realignment and problem-solving will facilitate FCDO’s political engagement with the provinces to support FCDO approach to thinking and working politically
through the establishment of a Provincial Engagement Facility (PEF) in Karnali, Madesh and Lumbini. The PEF will be guided by the Constitution of Nepal, Provincial “Givens” and the FCDO/BEK Provincial Engagement Strategy. The Facility will provide administrative and logistical support during FCDO high level visits as well as regular visits of the respective FCDO programme team. The PEF will engage closely with the Office of the Chief Minister and Council of Ministers (OCMCM), the Provincial Planning Commission, and other relevant stakeholders in respective provinces. It will also ensure fortnight/bi-weekly specific provincial reporting, and monthly provincial context analysis regarding FCDO priority programmes in the provinces and assist in learning and sharing across various FCDO programmes as well as within the respective province by facilitating periodic update of 5Ws and quarterly learning and sharing sessions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sets up the Provincial Office including leasing and equipping the office as necessary and supports in recruiting the necessary staff.
- Acts as a security focal point for the province office.
- Manages the provincial team including day-to-day supervision, coaching /mentoring evaluating their performance.
- Supervises the planning, organization, and execution of high-level visits for FCDO/BEK and programme team.
- Coordinate with key stakeholders such as OCMCM, Provincial Planning Commission and others relevant for their engagement in those visits.
- Quality assures short briefing and notes as required/relevant for high-level visits.
- Organizes regular provincial team reflection meetings and monthly meetings with International IDEA Nepal’s senior management team.
- Explores areas for synergies with other International IDEA’s initiatives such as PCGG learning integration, Sahakarya, engagement with NARMIN to draw lessons learnt and to inform FCDO/BEK’s engagement with Provinces.
- Cultivates, nurtures, and consolidates a network of contacts among civil society, community-based organizations, academics, development stakeholders, Office of the Chief Minister, and Council of Minister (OCMCM), Provincial Planning Commission (PPC), government line agencies and political parties in the province.
- Represents the positions of FCDO/BEK Nepal appropriately to a wide range of provincial stakeholders and manages expectations under the guidance of the FCDO/BEK.
- Assesses the requests of the FCDO/BEK in terms of trend analysis, sit-reps, and summary narratives on specific topics.
- Provides quality assurance of the mapping all FCDO-funded activities in the province, establishing coordination mechanisms and joint reporting.
- Provides regular information about the political landscape, risks of the province to FCDO/BEK and develops in-depth analysis on the most relevant topics as requested from FCDO/BEK
- Combines in-depth knowledge, acquired through academic achievements, excellent skills including managerial skills and relevant experience in their field;
- Manages assigned projects throughout the project life cycle, i.e. from strategic planning and project design, funding and budgeting to project assessment and accountability; leads meetings and discussions, supervises publications and input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on their relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Has the intellectual leadership to integrate innovation into his/her field of expertise;
- Directly manages a team of contributors to the project, including staff members and possibly consultants;
- Fosters team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model and mentor for colleagues;
- Is expected to travel to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’ s core values; Respect, Integrity and Professionalism;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
- Head of Programme Nepal
Education and Experience:
- University degree in international development, development studies, sociology, economics, human rights or law or other relevant discipline;
- A minimum of seven (7) years of professional experience of working on strengthening local governance systems and processes;
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in leading sizable projects and managing project teams;
- Experience establishing inter-relationships, and coordinating with provincial and local government entities;
- Experience of managing diverse teams at the Provincial and/or Local Government level;
- Experience in working in a civil society organization or international organization will be an advantage.
- Prior experience to mentoring approach is an added advantage.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Posts.
- Fixed term appointment until 31 July 2024.
Please note as these are local posts, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. These positions are open to those legally authorized to live and work in Nepal for the duration of the contract. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) 12 October 2023.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified on the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: