Associate Programme officer - Digitalization and Democracy - Sweden / Belgium
Stockholm | Brussels
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance – International IDEA – is an Inter-Governmental Organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. Its objective is to strengthen democratic institutions and processes. The Institute acts as a catalyst for democracy building by providing global comparative knowledge resources and tools, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests, specifically in electoral processes, constitution building processes, political participation and representation, democracy assessment and analysis, gender and inclusion, sustainable development, and conflict sensitivity.
In 2023 International IDEA adopted a new strategy for the period 2023-2027 which includes an institutional workstream on Digitalization and Democracy. The programme covers the different aspects of digitalization and democracy, ranging from the positive impact of digitalization on democratic practices to the different disruptions and threat that emerging technologies might imply for democracy.
To support the work of the Digitalization and Democracy team, International IDEA seeks to recruit an Associate Programme Officer (APO). The APO will play a key role in implementing the workstream through research, advocacy, implementation of projects and provision of technical assistance. A significant component of the position will also be resource mobilization.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conducts substantive research on topics related to digitalization, emerging technologies, digital threats, and democracy.
- Provides support to projects and events.
- Assists the members of the team in implementing events through supporting conceptualization, management of logistics, briefings, and creation of background notes, presentations and agendas etc.
- Contributes to outreach and dissemination activities of the team.
- Supports the team to conceptualize new projects, develop concept notes, liaise with donors and Member States and supports resource mobilization.
- Provides support for ongoing projects and events, including drafting PowerPoint presentations, agendas, and concept notes as required.
- Undertakes communication and outreach tasks, including the development of social media content and other communication products.
- Supports monitoring, evaluating and learning from the team’s activities and projects and feeds information into International IDEA’s Outcome Harvesting.
- Liaises with all the regions and supports the Senior Advisor in the conceptualization and implementation of projects with International IDEA’s regional offices.
- Maintains the project team’s input into International IDEA’s Constituent Relationship Management System
- Liaises with governmental and non-governmental stakeholders in the field of digitalization and democracy.
- Requires good knowledge, excellent skills, and experience in the field of digitalization and democracy, digital law, public policy, digital rights; ideally from a tech company, a government, a research institution, or an international organization.
- Will contribute to assigned projects in different aspects of the project life cycle, more specifically will conduct research and analysis, will draft various documents (articles, concept notes, agreements, etc.) and will support the projects vis-à-vis all internal and external stakeholders.
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute as required.
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects.
- Acts in accordance with International IDEA’s core values; Respect, Integrity, and Professionalism.
- Integrates a gender and inclusion perspective in all activities.
- Senior Advisor, Digitalization and Democracy
Education and Experience
- A university degree in Social Sciences, Digital Law, Public Policy, Political Science, Human Rights, Digital Innovation, or related fields.
- A minimum of three (3) years of relevant professional experience (including substantial internships), working in the field of digitalization and democratic participation, digital threats, public policy, digital law, digital rights, or related fields
- Experience in policy making and public policy work is considered an advantage
- Experience working in an international context e.g., an intergovernmental organization is considered an advantage.
- Experience developing resources such as reports, knowledge products, training and analysis documentation and assessment products.
- Communication skills, including social media engagement, basic web content and basic graphic design skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential. Knowledge of another language in an International IDEA priority region, especially French and Spanish, will be considered an asset.
Terms of Contract:
- Local Post.
- Fixed term appointment for two (2) years.
- Position can be based in Stockholm or Brussels
- Remuneration - Sweden - SEK 34,643 (Net) per month
- Remuneration - Belgium - EUR 4,519 (Net) per month
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Sweden/Belgium for the duration of the contract. International IDEA is not able to support work permit applications.
Applying for this position:
- Applications should be submitted online no later than 23:59 (CEST) on 22 October 2023.
- Please note that all applications must be made in English.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates will include a written test assessment and up to two (2) interviews.
- Candidates selected to proceed to the next stage of the process will be contacted once all applications have been carefully reviewed.
- All candidates will be notified on the status of their application via email once the process has been finalized.
International IDEA is an equal opportunity employer which seeks to further diversify its staff in terms of gender, culture and nationality.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: