In Bosnia and Herzegovina (BIH), in line with its 2021-2025 Country Programme, UNDP focuses on sustainable and inclusive growth, people-centered governance and social cohesion. UNDP is fully committed to support BIH with regards to its Agenda 2030 commitments as well as the European Union (EU) accession process. The UNDP Country Programme Document for BiH outcomes correspond to three outcomes of the UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) 2021-2025 (outcome 1 on resilient, sustainable and inclusive growth, outcome 4 on accountable and transparent governance systems, and outcome 5 on social cohesion and trust).
The Empowering Trust and Cohesion Project (ETC) is envisioned in the context of a wider initiative implemented jointly by IOM, UNDP, and OSCE, in coordination with COE and with financing by the EU. Its objective is to strengthen and promote environment that is more conducive to genuine reconciliation, contributing to improved trust and social cohesion within and between communities and their leaders. The activities implemented by UNDP include implementation of infrastructure projects in 10 partner communities in BiH.
Country infrastructure Development Initiative (CIDI) provides a framework for the systematic and strategic improvement in the quality of life in local communities through enhancing public service delivery capacities. This includes the provision of technical assistance with the design and development of large-scale infrastructure interventions; project management, to include implementation, monitoring and evaluation of results; individual and institutional capacity building; and the provision of on-site technical advisory services to elected local and regional leaders, among others. The Project operates in 16 partner communities in BiH in which at least 300,000 citizens (out of which ca 50% are women) will benefit from improved access to and quality of vital communal public services, including at least 45,000 members of socially excluded and vulnerable groups.
The Project Associate will work under direct supervision of the CIDI and ETC Project Manager, supporting the implementation of the CIDI and ETC Project activities.
Support to implementation of Projects’ components:
- Provides support to the management of day-to-day activities, with due regard to prevailing standards and best practice.
- Development of action plans, work plans and relevant budgets.
- Ensures that the implementation of Projects’ activities corresponds to agreed projects’ budgets and timely informs the immediate supervisor on any deviations.
- Supports the recruitment processes necessary for the implementation of the Projects’ activities.
- Monitors quality of delivery of inputs provided by the consultants, beneficiaries and contracted companies and communicate findings to the immediate supervisor.
- Provides support in organization of external evaluation of the Projects.
- Maintains timetables for the Project Board meetings and provides support to organizing and holding meetings, including the preparation and dissemination of information and follow-up.
Support to Project Manager in administrative and finance activities on the day-to-day basis:
- Provides support to the Project Manager in the creation of projects in ERP, entry of project budgets, preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of projects.
- Provides support to the Project Manager in preparing and reviewing the Project’s financial reports,
- Creates requisitions in ERP, prepares invoices, follows up on timely submission of F10.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that invoices processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in ERP, timely corrective actions on un-posted invoices.
- Collects and compiles, on a monthly basis, the following inputs related to projects: list of activities, expenditures and results achieved during the previous month as compared to the work plan, monthly expenditure reports and other related documents.
- Prepares information for audit of directly implemented (DIM) projects, if applicable, supporting implementation of audit recommendations.
- Supports Project Manager in preparation and implementation of procurement plans from the financial aspect.
- Coordinates with relevant UNDP units issuance of Purchase orders and contracts as well as supplier profile creation in ERP, prepares requisitions and follows the Purchase order processing.
- Preparation of inventory reports, if any.
- Implementation of inventory and physical verification control of the projects’ assets, if any.
- Assists in timely reporting.
- Organization of translation services in accordance with business processes.
- Maintenance of projects files.
Business Process Quality Assurance:
- Facilitate business processes followed by the Projects in line with the UNDP regulations and rules, policies and the UNDP internal control framework.
- Compilation and design of background information for formulation of project work plans, draft annual/quarterly budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements, and drafts of quarterly project financial reports.
Support to the Project Manager in effective mainstreaming of gender equality:
- Provides effective support to the Project Manager in mainstreaming gender equality in Projects implementation as well as that knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in the projects’ knowledge management activities and products.
- Provides effective support to the Project Manager in incorporating gender equality in all the areas of implementation of Projects components, in the Projects Reports and in the organization of the Project evaluations and audits.
- Ensures that all the data, when collecting and compiling inputs relating to programme, are sex and age disaggregated and evaluated from the gender point of view.
- In the preparation of meetings/consultations/trainings/commissions ensure minimum 30% participation of the other sex.
Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing within the Project, related to POPP application:
- Participates in trainings for the operations/projects staff on HR, Finance, Programme and Operations Policies and Procedures, and organizes briefings for the project staff where necessary on new internal procedures.
- When necessary, provides guidance to project staff in business processes, administrative and other requirements, and procedures.
- Sound contribution to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in projects.
The incumbent will report to the CIDI and ETC Project Manager, within the UNDP Good Governance Sector.
- Achieve Results: LEVEL 1: Plans and monitors own work, pays attention to details, delivers quality work by deadline.
- Think Innovatively: LEVEL 1: Open to creative ideas/known risks, is pragmatic problem solver, makes improvements.
- Learn Continuously: LEVEL 1: Open minded and curious, shares knowledge, learns from mistakes, asks for feedback.
- Adapt with Agility: LEVEL 1: Adapts to change, constructively handles ambiguity/uncertainty, is flexible.
- Act with Determination: LEVEL 1: Shows drive and motivation, able to deliver calmly in face of adversity, confident.
- Engage and Partner: LEVEL 1: Demonstrates compassion/understanding towards others, forms positive relationships.
- Enable Diversity and Inclusion: LEVEL 1: Appreciate/respect differences, aware of unconscious bias, confront discrimination.
- Ability to understand and deal with a business situation in a manner that is likely to lead to a good outcome.
- Knowledge and understanding of the operational frameworks in the organization and ability to make good judgments and quick decisions within such frameworks.
Effective Decision Making
- Ability to take decisions in a timely and efficient manner in line with one’s authority, area of expertise and resources.
- Ability to animate individuals and communities of contributors to participate and share, particularly externally.
- Ability to communicate in a clear, concise and unambiguous manner both through written and verbal communication; to tailor messages and choose communication methods depending on the audience.
- Ability to manage communications internally and externally, through media, social media, and other appropriate channels.
- Ability to support budgetary aspects of work planning process, drawing and management of team budgets.
Financial reporting and analysis
- Understands changes in regulatory, legal, and ethical frameworks and standards for financial reporting in the public sector.
- Ability to extract, evaluate financial data, derive relevant findings and present them in a meaningful and coherent manner to facilitate effective decision making and performance monitoring.
- Understands the benefits of integrated reporting, including non-financial resources such as human, social, and intellectual capital, and environmental and governance performance.
- Knowledge of contract management concepts, principles and methods, and ability to apply this to strategic and/or practical situations.
- Secondary education.
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, business or public administration will be given due consideration, but it is not a requirement.
- Minimum 7 years (with Secondary education) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s degree) of progressively responsible administrative or project experience is required at the national or international level.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism.
- Ability to identify discrimination, address it, and maintain an enabling working environment based on fairness, respect and freedom from any forms of harassment and abuse.
- Understand the language associated with gender, equity, inclusion, and diversity.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, advance knowledge of automated procurement systems, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
- Knowledge of finance management system used by UNDP would be an asset.
- Written and verbal fluency in English and official BiH languages.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: