Liaison and Protocol Officer – East & Southern Africa
The OSC: The Organisation of Southern Cooperation (OSC) is an international intergovernmental Organisation, founded in January 2020 by countries from across the Global South, to “contribute to the equitable, just, and prosperous social transformation of societies by promoting balanced and inclusive education, in order to attain the fundamental rights to liberty, justice, dignity, sustainability, social cohesion, and material and immaterial security for the peoples of the world”.
As the Liaison and Protocol Officer for East & Southern Africa, the incumbent will operate under the authority of the Secretary-General and the guidance of the Director of ERIC and report directly to the Chief of Protocol and Bilateral Cooperation. The incumbent’s primary responsibility is to strengthen the OSC’s relations and cooperation with countries in East & Southern Africa. This role involves managing protocol procedures, coordinating official visits, and promoting OSC’s mission and objectives in the region.
This position provides the unique opportunity of joining the team of a new international organisation, contributing to its lasting construction and influencing its future trajectory.
- Liaison and Regional Coordination: Foster and maintain strong liaison with countries in East & Southern Africa to facilitate OSC’s engagement, programs, and cooperation in the region;
- Protocol Management: Ensure adherence to protocol procedures for all OSC-related activities in East & Southern African countries, including meetings, events, and official visits;
- Official Visit Coordination: Coordinate and support official visits by OSC officials, including the Secretary-General, to East & Southern African countries. This includes logistical arrangements and protocol considerations;
- Stakeholder Engagement: Facilitate engagement with key organizations, institutions, and member states in the region, contributing to the OSC’s mission and objectives;
- Crisis and Conflict Resolution: Provide assistance in crisis and conflict resolution efforts in the region, as directed by the Chief of Protocol and Bilateral Cooperation;
- Event Management: Assist in the organization and management of regional meetings, events, and conferences involving OSC representatives;
- Information Sharing: Keep the OSC informed about political, social, and economic developments in East & Southern Africa that may impact the organization’s activities or objectives;
- Travel Support: Assist in visa applications, travel arrangements, and protocol-related matters for OSC officials traveling to or from East & Southern African countries;
- Documentation and Reporting: Maintain accurate records and prepare reports on liaison and protocol activities in the region;
- Other Duties: Undertake any other relevant duties as assigned by the Secretary-General, Chief of Staff/EOSG, Director/Office of ERIC, Chief of Bilateral Cooperation and Protocol.
- Excellent interpersonal, diplomatic, and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Strong oral and written communication abilities;
- Strategic thinking and the ability to develop and implement long-term strategies;
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural environment;
- Capacity to operate under pressure and meet strict deadlines;
- Understanding of diplomatic protocol and international relations, particularly in the East & Southern African context;
- Knowledge of regional political and social dynamics in East & Southern Africa;
- Ability to travel within the region as needed.
Bachelor’s or master’s degree (or higher) in International Relations or related fields.
- At least 7 years of working experience in diplomacy or international relations;
- At least 4 years of work experience in a management role within an international and/or regional organization.
- English – Fluent;
- Portuguese – Fluent;
- Any other languages spoken in the East & Southern Africa Region is an added advantage.
Qualified and interested candidates can apply for this position by sending their resume and cover letter to and copy with the subject line “Liaison and Protocol Officer – East & Southern Africa.”
- This is a full-time position with regional responsibilities;
- The organization welcomes applicants from East & Southern Africa and encourages diversity and inclusion;
- Applications will be reviewed as they are received until the position is filled.
We especially encourage applications from East & Southern African regions
We also strongly support female candidates and value diversity and inclusion
We will review applications as they are received until we fill the position
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: