Founded in early 2000, Yayasan Ekosistem Lestari (YEL) is a non profit organization focused on conservation, environmental education and community development, especially those living adjacent to conservation areas. In response to the emergence of various environmental issues across Sumatra, YEL seeks to protect what is left of unique Leuser Ecosystem, an UNESCO World Heritage and home to some of the most abundant and diverse plant and animal life known to science. In particular, Yayasan Ekosistem Lestari is a founding partner of the Sumatran Orangutan Conservation Programme, which aims at increasing the survivability of the Critically Endangered species of the Sumatran orangutan. In running its programmes, YEL refers to the vision and mission as follows:
To preserve the environment with sustainable benefits for the whole community.
To carry out works and efforts for environmental conservation with sustainable benefits for the whole community. To realize this mission, YEL does not rule out the possibility to give broad contribution in the region of North Sumatra, in Indonesia or even for the international communities, prioritising participatory approaches, scientific based sustainable solution and human interests.
YEL has a strong commitment to achieve its vision and mission through following programme activities:
- Promotion and endorsement of nature conservation in Indonesia;
- Improvement of community awareness and concerns towards a sustainable environment;
- Planning and implementation of appropriate management in the context of environmental education and nature conservation programmes through the conservation of orangutan and the development of eco-tourism;
- Provision of support and endorsement to environmental conservation;
- Provision of humanitarian aid.