Women and Children in Malawi face a lot of challenges in terms of inequalities, physical and sexual abuses, forced marriages and economic deprivation. Centre for Alternatives for Victimized Women and Children (CAVWOC) believes a society free from gender based violence and all forms of abuse against children and women is possible in Malawi. In order to achieve this, CAVWOC provides the following to communities it works in:
- Capacity building of community structures and justice providers to reduce occurrences of Gender Based Violence (GBV).
- Access to knowledge on and utilization of Sexual Reproductive Health services including HIV and AIDS.
- Promotion of quality, safe and equitable education for girls.
- Promotion of use of safe and portable water and uptake of standard sanitary and hygiene practices.
- Support in increase of household food security and income.
We are a social service organization formed in 1997 and registered under the Trustees Incorporation Act of Malawi in 1998. We are affiliated to Council for Non-Governmental Organizations in Malawi (CONGOMA), NGO Board of Malawi, NGOGCN and the Human Rights Consultative Committee.
CAVWOC was established with the sole purpose of providing technical and psychosocial support to women and children that are survivors of gender based violence and sexual reproductive health rights violations. As a local NGO, we support the rights of women and children in Malawi. We work to empower abused, vulnerable and marginalized women and children in order to provide them with knowledge, counsel and assistance in regards to their rights that will transform them from the state of being victimized and vulnerable into socially and economically empowered members of society.