SRSGs are appointed by the Secretary-General and are expected to:
- Develop a shared vision for fulfilling the Security Council mission mandate and set the strategic direction to achieve the goals and objectives relevant to that vision;
- Represent the Secretary-General and provide good offices on his behalf to resolve conflict, facilitate negotiations, foster peace and build confidence among parties;
- Serve as Head of Mission and be responsible for the executive management of the mission’s resources and administration, as well as for building a mission culture of accountability, integrity and respect;
- Establish and nurture close working relationships with key national, regional and international interlocutors, including regional organizations as relevant;
- Speak on behalf of the UN and provide overall leadership to the comprehensive UN engagement in the host country, ensuring that its actions are guided at all times by international human rights standards;
- Promote and monitor the implementation of Security Council resolutions on Women Peace and Security and ensure the mainstreaming of gender throughout operational activities;
- As Designated Official (DO), ensure the safety and security of staff of the United Nations in the mission area.
DSRSGs are appointed by the Secretary-General and report directly to the SRSG. The Deputy Special Representatives of the Secretary-General are responsible for providing overall vision and leadership to the strategic planning and the implementation of programmes under the political and/or rule of law pillar(s) in missions.
Please visit the Office of Human Resources Management website for additional information on compensation.
Please note: This text is produced by United Nations. Click here to read the official text.
Click here to learn about the Secretary General's call for Nominations
Watch these videos to learn more about the role of UN Peace Operations:
On the mandate of DPA in relation to conflict prevention and sustaining peace
UN Department of Political Affairs: Preventing Conflict, Sustaining Peace
On the role UN peacekeeping plays in Mali:
MINUSMA: Securing Peace In Mali
MINUSMA: Promoting Development in Mali
On the relevance of UN for stability (TED Talk with Sigrid Kaag):
The relevance of the United Nations for stability in the world | Sigrid Kaag | TEDxKMA
This article was developed in partnership with the United Nations and serves to increase the dissemination and visibility of the Global Call for nominations.
There is no cost associated with submitting nominations and neither the United Nations nor Impactpool charge a fee at any stage of the process.