Fund Raising Specialist, (Marketing), P-4, (FT), # 105805, IG, PFP, Tokyo, Japan
The Private Sector Fundraising and Partnerships (PSFP) section within PFP works with National Committees and UNICEF Country Offices to maximize income and drive income growth. This role will report to the Marketing Manager, Individual Giving and will require that you work cross organizationally with active participation of Headquarters divisions, Regional and Country Offices, and UNICEF National Committees. You will ensure that the Individual Giving strategy fulfils a marketing approach to fundraising. The National Committee in Japan is a leader in the UNICEF fundraising ecosystem, and the learnings from Japan and the East Asia Pacific region will serve as best practice for offices in the region and globally.
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
The Private Sector Fundraising and Partnerships (PSFP) section within PFP works with National Committees and UNICEF Country Offices to maximize income and drive income growth. This role will report to the Marketing Manager, Individual Giving and will require that you work cross organizationally with active participation of Headquarters divisions, Regional and Country Offices, and UNICEF National Committees. You will ensure that the Individual Giving strategy fulfils a marketing approach to fundraising.
The National Committee in Japan is a leader in the UNICEF fundraising ecosystem, and the learnings from Japan and the East Asia Pacific region will serve as best practice for offices in the region and globally.
For every child, a Champion.
The Fundraising Specialist (Marketing) is a critical role in the marketing function of the Individual Giving (IG) team. The role is expected to support markets in East Asia and Pacific (EAP) region in developing their marketing discipline, building on and developing an already successful business model, which results in increased net income for UNICEF’s program of work for children.
The global Individual Giving team operates to support and enable countries in their fundraising, and this role works within that approach to cascade and develop the capabilities to teams at regional and market level, as well as supporting or leading the development and implementation of relevant global strategies.
The role holder will have regional business ownership over agreed programs and initiatives - such as being the regional champion for the Supporter Engagement Strategy (SES) program, marketing framework and segmentation as UNICEF shifts to an audience-centric approach. All accountabilities of this type serve the successful fundraising and marketing in individual countries in the region.
The role holder will be based in Tokyo (Flexible Work arrangements could be possible) and will work closely with the regional and HQ Individual Giving teams, Regional Office, key stakeholders in the Supporter Engagement Strategy rollout, and with markets to deliver agreed programs and initiatives.
How can you make a difference?
Strategic Marketing Framework
- Cascade and champion the deployment of the IG strategic marketing framework in the region and across markets, supporting PFP's shift from sales to market orientation.
- Create a change management and influencing plan that identifies key areas of development and change for UNICEF for the EAP region, and a roadmap to get there. Liaise and collaborate with the Marketing Manager in Geneva and other regional Marketing colleagues to ensure alignment and information sharing.
- Work in close consultation with stakeholders within and beyond PFP, particularly key markets and regional office stakeholders on how the framework supports, challenges and/or integrates with existing strategies and policies. Influence and negotiate to ensure the roadmap are viable and delivered, take learnings into account, serve to provide feedback to global team and facilitate exchange of information and best practice.
- Identify and establish enablers of the marketing framework e.g., segmentation, marketing funnel and facilitate their adoption and use through consultancy and hands on support. Documentation of learnings and case studies to share with other specialists and markets.
Marketing Strategy and Planning
- Work with the regional IG team, Regional Office, and the leadership in markets to develop a market orientation at market level, consisting of audience segmentation, targeting and approaches to positioning.
- Support the leadership in market to understand the operational and strategic changes required to move to a market orientation.
- Build the case for change, ensuring there is adequate thought and forecasting on how the change will be able to drive increased contributions to programs over the following financial year and strategic period.
- Work with the leadership teams in market to understand and support the needs of the team to enable this change.
- Ensure IG fundraising planning and delivery is driven by audience understanding at all stages.
Support Engagement Strategy (SES) Marketing Champion
- Be the PFP champion on the development of and integration of the supporter engagement strategy as markets move to Salesforce products and their use to deliver audience centric campaigns and strategies.
- Work across PFP and other divisions to support a more integrated and audience led approach to supporter experience that delivers both on organizational goals and individual donor needs.
- Work closely with the SES program office and team, and provide business expertise and insight, in support of the development and deployment of Salesforce and other relevant martech.
- Work with markets, Marketing Cloud Business Analysts, and the CRM Success team to support the successful adoption of Marketing Cloud. Be the regional business sponsor for Marketing cloud in the post-implementation stage of the Salesforce implementation project.
High quality supporter experiences
- Ensure the continuing focus on the quality and relevance of the supporter experience through every touchpoint, across EAP markets, to ensure that this experience fulfills UNICEF’s brand promise.
- Work to influence every interaction between a supporter and the organization to ensure we provide journeys that foster loyalty and a desire to support the work of UNICEF through an increased customer lifetime value.
- Support UNICEF markets to develop and consider how to resource the scaling of tailored supporter journeys through appropriate use of martech and choosing automation strategies that suit the resource and capability of teams.
- Collaborate with analytics and insight teams to support the development of stronger donor insights that can drive creative, strategy, and overall business performance resulting in delivery of more profitable IG products for EAP.
- Using data from different sources, map supporter journeys through the marketing funnel, identifying key areas for optimization and financial growth potential by delivering improved experiences and journeys.
- Facilitate and analyze the performance of key products in markets, identifying opportunities for improvement and growth through existing or new products e.g., subscription products. Connect global initiatives with local opportunities, recognize how the products meet audience needs profitably and can continue to evolve to be a valuable part of UNICEF's portfolio at regional and market level.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- An advanced university degree in Marketing, Communications, the Humanities, Fundraising, Business Administration, Social Sciences, International Relations, UX Design, or the equivalent, is required.
- Alternatively, a first-level university degree in a relevant field combined with 2 additional years of qualifying professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience is required, five of which should be in marketing planning and strategy, supporter engagement/user experiences, and journeys, preferably in a response-driven, multi-channel, cross-platform environment.
- Experience in marketing function or planning capacity as well as knowledge of core marketing concepts i.e., segmentation is required.
- Hands-on technical expertise and knowledge of automation and martech solutions are required.
- Experience of working with a consumer brand, in digital marketing and/or managing a digital product is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience of working using agile methodologies and in sprint structure is an asset.
- Experience working in a front-line fundraising environment or in an advertising or marketing agency is an asset
- Multiple market experience and working in global, regional, and local market structures is an asset.
- Experience with the UN/UNICEF system will be an asset.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge in Japanese is an asset.
- Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, or Spanish), or languages spoken in UNICEF National committee countries is an asset.
For every Child, you demonstrate...
UNICEF’s Core Values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, Accountability, and Sustainability (CRITAS) underpin everything we do and how we do it. Get acquainted with Our Values Charter: UNICEF Values
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are...
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drives to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
During the recruitment process, we test candidates following the competency framework. Familiarize yourself with our competency framework and its different levels: competency framework here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
We offer a wide range of benefits to our staff, including paid parental leave, breastfeeding breaks, and reasonable accommodation for persons with disabilities. UNICEF strongly encourages the use of flexible working arrangements.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Mobility is a condition of international professional employment with UNICEF and an underlying premise of the international civil service. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Issuance of a visa by the host country of the duty station, which will be facilitated by UNICEF, is required for IP positions. Appointments may also be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). Government employees that are considered for employment with UNICEF are normally required to resign from their government before taking up an assignment with UNICEF. UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if a visa or medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: