Chief Operating Officer- Financial Sector Deepening Mozambique
Objective of the Programme
Having started successful implementation in 2014, the Mozambique Financial Sector Deepening (FSD) programme facilitates financial inclusion for all through a range of quality financial services to more than 2 million poor Mozambicans and 650 businesses, particularly in rural areas. The project also helps drive finance for stability by promoting the development and implementation of strong financial sector regulation, supervision, and infrastructure to promote and maintain Mozambique’s favourable economic and social conditions domestically and internationally.
Scope of Work
The COO will support the chief executive officer (CEO) by leading the management team to ensure effective and efficient operations to fulfil the Strategic Objectives of FSD Mozambique.
Working in partnership with the CEO, the successful candidate will create and manage the programme’s technical work plan and implement new processes and approaches to achieve it.
The COO will take a leadership role to:
- Design, build and operate a comprehensive programme/project management, monitoring and evaluation system based on FSD best practice;
- Lead the performance management process that measures and evaluates progress against FSD Mozambique’s goals;
- Provide a strong day-to-day leadership presence for all staff;
- Hold responsibility for all HR and talent management, working closely with the CEO;
- Provide oversight for Finance, Technology, and Human Resources;
- Oversee the accounting system;
- Responsibility for all aspects of risk management (including IT) across FSD Mozambique;
- Support colleagues across FSD Mozambique on all contracting/procurement-related matters;
- Provide high quality FSD Mozambique management information to the CEO, DAI DFID and other leadership colleagues as may be requested;
- Oversee execution of communications strategy.
Duties and Responsibilities
The COO will be expected to take a leadership role in 4 key areas:
- Design and manage the programme workplan and oversee timely delivery of all project components including deliverables to DFID as per Finance and Reporting Calendar;
- Manage and approve procurement and payments for administration budget and jointly oversee programme activity budget with the CEO;
- Design, build and manage comprehensive programme/project management, monitoring and evaluation system based on FSD best practice.
- Ensure use of programme management tools and approaches by the FSD Mozambique team;
- Establish operational guidelines (HR, Finance, Operations manual etc.);
- Ensure the programme is adequately resourced both from an HR and Finance perspective;
- Take responsibility for all aspects of risk management (including IT) for FSD Mozambique.
Human Resource Management
- Provide for all staff a strong day-to-day leadership presence;
- Support recruitment, induction and coaching of staff for optimum output;
- Establish an effective and efficient team with the capability to perform to FSD Mozambique’s expectations;
- Set, evaluate and monitor performance of all programme staff against performance standards;
- Manage the annual performance assessment and staff talent development process.
Oversee execution of communication strategy
- Manage Knowledge, Monitoring and Learning Analyst and Manager;
- Manage communication consultant to ensure delivery of communication strategy.
Skills and Experience
- Strong financial sector knowledge/experience;
- Knowledge of donor reporting processes (ideally DFID);
- Understanding and/or experience of programme management in the financial sector;
- Successful track record in the leadership and management of complex projects/organisations;
- Leadership and organisation-exceptional capacity for managing and leading people;
- Proven ability to produce concise, well-structured and very high quality reports and presentations;
- At least 8 years of programme management/grants management experience;
- Demonstrated first-hand experience of the project management skills that are needed to ensure projects stay on track and deliver;
- First-hand experience of working in/with a market building programme.
- A minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics, Business Administration, International Development, Finance, Public Administration or any related discipline, from a reputable institution.
Proposed Start Date:
As soon as possible
Project Office, Maputo
Please refer to the advert on the corporate website for a more detailed job description
- Organization: DAI - interational development company
- Location: Maputo
- Grade: Senior
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Finance and Banking
- Closing Date: 2015-11-15