Lobby and Advocacy Coordinator, Cordaid Central African Republic
Bangui (Central African Republic)
Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for a just and sustainable society where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We make a difference where it is most needed.
Together with more than 800 organizations in Africa, Asia, the Middle East and Latin America we structurally improve the living conditions of the poorest and most excluded populations - the bottom billion. We do that where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where underdevelopment keeps families in extreme poverty. In the Netherlands we are known as Cordaid Memisa, Cordaid Mensen in Nood, Cordaid Kinderstem, Cordaid Bond zonder Naam and Cordaid Microkrediet.
For the Cordaid Country office in the Central African Republic**,** Cordaid is looking for a
Lobby and Advocacy Coordinator
Within the Strategic Partnership Lobby and Advocacy Programme in Central African Republic, with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Dutch embassy and local civil society organizations (CSOs), Cordaid is working to strengthen the lobby and advocacy capacity of civil society organizations and to achieve lobby & advocacy goals related to strengthening the social contract in fragile contexts. The Partnership seeks to contribute to the development of legitimate and effective policies, systems and practices in access to justice, service delivery, human rights and gender mainstreaming, and women security.
Position and responsibility
The Lobby and Advocacy Coordinator will work closely with other Cordaid programme managers, thematic technical experts on security and justice, education, health, financial, capacity building and learning, monitoring and evaluation. He will be part of a professional and dedicated Cordaid team that works to make a difference in communities and will report to the Director of Programmes at Cordaid-CAR and the Strategic Partnership Programme Manager at the Head Office.
General objective of the posting
- Manage and coordinate a Strategic Lobby and Advocacy Programme on ‘Dialogue and Dissent’ with the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Dutch embassy, and local civil society organizations (CSOs);
- Deliver results in communities in fragile contexts through providing technical guidance to civil society on the conduct of lobby and advocacy activities via implementing projects on security & justice, services & governance, social opportunities, to restore and strengthen the social contract.
- Lobby and advocacy plan: develop a plan with clear lobby and advocacy targets and strategies according to the goals of the “Dialogue and Dissent” strategic partnership in Central African Republic;
- Coordination of lobby and advocacy activities: coordinate lobby and advocacy activities in-country with local partners, international partners, and with Cordaid Head Office links to international forums;
- Communication with Cordaid Head Office: maintain regular contacts to ensure that the programme is implemented in line with core objectives and adequate technical support. Coordinate with other ongoing Cordaid programs in CAR and signal opportunities for additional projects;
- Team management: provide guidance to and work collaboratively with the Monitoring & Evaluation Officer, the expert in capacity-development, and programme consultants;
- Capacity building: organize and implement capacity building activities, knowledge-sharing and strategy development with civil society partners at national and international level, in order to ensure that lobby and advocacy goals are achieved;
- Lobby activities: develop and maintain a network of influential contacts in-country. Working closely with Cordaid lobbyists to align the international and the national dimension of the lobby and advocacy strategy;
- Advocacy activities: develop and implement advocacy activities in cooperation with local CSO partners. Represent Cordaid and the Strategic Partnership’s agenda in national meetings, networks, conferences and relevant platforms. Keep track of the lobby results;
- Information Management and fundraising: stay informed about the results of the plans and activities analyse results and formulate new ideas into projects. Identify possible interventions in the area of access to justice, human rights, and women security in addition to the Strategic Partnership and develop project proposals.
- Academic degree or equivalent in international development and communication, community development, governance or other related fields on master’s level;
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience, including 3+ years’ experience working with civil society on lobby and advocacy related activities in fragile contexts;
- Knowledge of lobby and advocacy work and regional/ international political networks;
- Knowledge of Cordaid mission, vision, values, strategy and internal organization;
- Knowledge of country context;
- Planning and coordination skills;
- Social/Communication skills to create networks, coordinate and obtain contributions from others;
- Fluent in both written and spoken French and English;
- Knowledge of Songho will be an advantage;
- Writing skills to draft documents such as policy papers, articles, press statements and project reports;
- Desired competencies/attributes: conceptual thinking, performance-based, environmental consciousness, collaboration skills, entrepreneurship and organization awareness.
Specifics of station
The selected candidate will be based in Bangui.
This is a non-accompanied posting.
The contract period is for 12 months starting as soon as possible, with the intention to extend for a longer period. We offer a Cordaid contract with a competitive salary and a benefit package which includes R&R, a comprehensive insurance cover, social security and pension contribution, a holiday allowance, 13th month, hardship allowance and cost of living allowance (if applicable).
Further information & how to apply
Applications including a motivation letter, on attn. of mr Sosthène Hicuburundi, Director Programmes and extensive CV in English, including the contact details of at least three professional references, should be forwarded before 17 July 2016.
Please note that we accept applications through our website only https://www.cordaid.org/en/vacancies/lobby-advocacy-coordinator/ and click on the apply button..