Temporary Appointment: Programme and Planning Specialist, P-3 in Social Inclusion and Policy, Programme Division NYHQ
New York City (United States of America)
The Programme and Planning Specialist is under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief of Social Inclusion and Policy section, Programme Division, to provide professional support for the section's planning, monitoring, reporting, coordination and knowledge management accountabilities and needs. The overall purpose of this of this position is to lead the planning, monitoring and reporting of UNICEF's work on Social Inclusion and Policy, and to develop, strengthen and implement systems for knowledge management & communication for the technical areas covered by the section. The post work closely with all other teams in PD and DRP with accountabilities for the social inclusion outcome, as well as liaising closely with Evaluation Office and Office of Research.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Programme and Planning Specialist is under the guidance and direct supervision of the Chief of Social Inclusion and Policy section, Programme Division, to provide professional support for the section's planning, monitoring, reporting, coordination and knowledge management accountabilities and needs.
The overall purpose of this of this position is to lead the planning, monitoring and reporting of UNICEF's work on Social Inclusion and Policy, and to develop, strengthen and implement systems for knowledge management & communication for the technical areas covered by the section. The post work closely with all other teams in PD and DRP with accountabilities for the social inclusion outcome, as well as liaising closely with Evaluation Office and Office of Research.
Key Expected Results
- Programme monitoring and reporting
- Knowledge management & communication
- Strategic Funding monitoring
- Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration
- Research and Evaluation
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Programme monitoring and reporting
Results: Programme monitoring and evaluations are effectively conducted to improve programme performance, and programme status report timely prepared.
- Maintain up to date information on progress of Social Inclusion work globally against the Social Policy goals, making use of internal reporting and monitoring systems including Country Office annual reports, Insight and other tools
- Support proposal development, and develop and administer consistent and transparent monitoring systems for multi-country Social Inclusion projects led from HQ.
- Coordinate updating of results and indicator frameworks for the Social Inclusion and Policy intervention areas.
- Support preparation of NYHQ programme work plans, mid-year and annual reviewed.
- Responsible for coordination and preparation of overview reports related to the Social Inclusion outcome, as well as all statutory reporting for the
Knowledge management & communication
Results: Effective knowledge management system and materials are developed and maintained to strengthen availability of relevant programme experience, research and lessons learned at global, regional and country levels.
- Ensure strengthened knowledge management for Social Inclusion and Policy work by developing, improving and updating key Knowledge Management systems & tools; e.g. internal and external website, overview presentations and publications, Communities of Practice related to Social Inclusion & Policy as a whole as well as the technical areas supported by the Section (child poverty; social protection; public financial management; governance and decentralisation).
- Take direct responsibility for overall social inclusion materials and support technical units in producing consistent, informative, user-friendly materials for guidance and external communication in line with corporate guidance
- Serve as the Section's representative on relevant HQ Knowledge Management groups
Strategic Funding monitoring
Results: Up-to-date information on use of Social Inclusion funding and fundraising opportunities available for use at Headquarters and Regional Office levels.
- Monitor the use of Social Inclusion thematic funding and other social inclusion spending at Country Office and Regional Office level, making use of existing tools for this purpose and prepare tables and analytical reports.
- Keep abreast of donor interests and UNICEF-wide fundraising efforts on social inclusion, identifying potential opportunities for further discussion with the Social Inclusion extended team
Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration
Results: Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, programme development/ management/ coordination, information sharing and networking.
- Develop, maintain and strengthen key internal and external partnerships for the social inclusion outcome.
- Work closely with all other teams in PD and DRP with accountabilities for the social inclusion outcome, as well as liaising closely with Evaluation Office and Office of Research.
- Serve as Secretariat for the Social Inclusion Extended team, ensuring strong communication and coordination with and between HQ Social Inclusion staff, Regional Advisers and others.
- Support and strengthen partnerships with development partners and others to support knowledge sharing, coordination and fundraising.
Research and Evaluation
Results: Internal and external research and evaluations captured and optimally used to advance UNICEF's social inclusion programming and advocacy. UNICEF visibility in relevant global dialogues maintained.
- Keep abreast of research conducted within UNICEF at Country Office, Regional Office and global level as well as external academic research, think tanks and influential social media with relevance to social inclusion.
- Summarise relevant information and facilitate and support interaction of UNICEF staff in global debates. Identify opportunities for further research and evaluation on social inclusion topics – working with internal and external partners.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- An Advanced University degree in Social Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines is required
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience at national and international levels is required.
- Practical experience in knowledge management and/or external communications desirable
- Some country level experience preferred.
- Fluency in (oral and written) English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (III)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Analyzing (II)
- Relating and networking (II)
- Applying technical expertise (II)
- Learning and Researching (II)
- Creating and Innovating (II)
- Planning and Organizing (II)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: New York City (United States of America)
- Grade: P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position - Mid level
- Operations and Administrations
- Women's Empowerment and Gender Mainstreaming
- Social Affairs
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Urban Development, planning and design
- Closing Date: 2017-12-31
NO-C, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position
P-3, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
Multiple locations (Various)
Bangui (Central African Republic)
Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Officer (Witness Protection Advisor) - Temporary, P4 (Temporary Job Opening)UNODC - United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
P-4, International Professional - Internationally recruited position
Bangui (Central African Republic)