International Individual Contract to Develop and Produce Work Flow Processes and Charts for UNICEF Malaysia Country Office
The consultant will work, in collaboration with UNICEF Malaysia CO staff to produce user-friendly flow-charts for each of the key work processes listed in the terms of reference below.
Over the last five years the UNICEF Malaysia Country Office operations and staff has grown. In terms of staffing growth has gone from 11 to 42 established posts. The office operations consists of programme and operations as well as Private Sector Fundraising.There is a lack documentation regarding existing work processes and a need to simplify and clarify existing processes in line with best practice and office typology. Simple process workflows would serve as a useful reference for new staff as well as ensure business continuity and consistency of operations.
To support the business process review the Malaysia Country Office is looking to contract a UNICEF retiree familiar with recent organisational changes such as SAP/VISION, changes in work processes and policies as a result of GSSC, HR reform, and procedures.
Estimated Start Date
3 April 2017 (upon completion of visa applications and other travel arrangements)
Purpose and objectives
The purpose of this consultancy is to:
- Simplify and streamline current work processes practiced in the Malaysia country office in line with Organizational best practice for the same office typology to ensure efficiency and consistency of practice;
- Propose revisions to existing practice for review by CMT and key stakeholders;
- Create flow-charts based on the agreed revised work processes with supporting notes as necessary.
Scope of work
The work consists, but is not limited to, the review, documentation and revision of the following work processes:
- Programme –such as cash assistance processes, creating a programme structure in the system, etc.
- Finance – petty cash, payment processes for advance, reimbursement, contracts, travel, changing funding source, etc.
- Human Resources – recruitment process for FTs and TAs, Individual Contractor and Consultancy contracts, on-boarding of new staff, etc.
- Supply – Corporate Contracts, low value procurement, raising requisition, raising POs, etc.
- Administration – such as Travel processing and certification, PSB, Asset record creation, etc.
- ICT – ICT services for facilitation of new comers' access to different systems, etc.
- PSFR, Communications and Office Governance – tbc
A: Review existing work-process flows and practice
- List and agree all work-processes to be reviewed in consultation with section chiefs and selected key staff.
- Review and document existing processes from start-finish based on discussions with relevant staff and validation by them.
- Assess existing practice against current organizational policies and procedures and knowledge of best practice in offices of similar size and typology;
- Assess and highlight inefficiencies in terms of time, duplication or persons involved in the process which do not add value in order to propose change.
B: Revise existing work-process flows and practice
- Propose revisions to existing processes in order to eliminate inefficiencies, and redundancies in the process.
- Document proposed changes – in the form of before and after flow-diagrams – showing efficiency gains in terms of time saved, and simplification.
- Present proposed changes to key stakeholders including CMT for review and approval.
C: Document approved revise work-process flows:
- Create work flow process flow-diagrams accompanied by supporting documentation /notes for the following areas of office operations.
Deliverables and timeframes
# of working days
List of work-processes to be reviewed for approval
Flow-diagrams documenting 'as-is' processes for validation by relevant stakeholders
Identified inefficiencies in 'as-is' processes and develop a proposal on the proposed revisions
Presentation to CMT and relevant stakeholder of identified inefficiencies in 'as-is' process and proposed revisions
Presentation of amended work-process flows for CMT and office approval
Delivery of work process flow-charts with supporting documentation/notes
Total of 25 working days with the following deliverables and timeframes are considered.
- The consultant will work from the UNICEF Malaysia Country Office for the duration of the assignment. Working hours are from 8:30-17:00.
- S/he will be provided with a work station and laptop connected to the LAN.
- The consultant will work under the supervision of the Operations Manager who will be acting as a focal point of UNICEF Malaysia Office and facilitate internal discussions and access to existing UNICEF policy and procedures as necessary;
- If necessary, the consultant will be assisted technically in the production of the work-process flow diagrams by the ICT assistant using VISIO.
- The consultant will be expected to make his/her own arrangements for accommodation and transportation to and from the office, although the office will provide recommendations for both.
Budget and payment
The daily fee is defined at USD350. The payment of the fee will be initiated upon satisfactory completion of all deliverables.
UNICEF will raise a Travel Authorisation document for facilitating the travel which assumes buying a ticket and paying daily allowance for the duration of the contractor's stay at UN internal daily allowance rate of the respective month.
Individual Contractor's qualifications, experience and expertise
- Former UNICEF staff member retired within the last 12 months, with profound knowledge of SAP/VISION and current UNICEF policies, procedures, rules and regulations
- Minimum eight years of relevant professional work experience in office management, finance, accounting, ICT, and/or human resources;
- Either national and International work experience in management, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, administration supply and procurement related fields;
- Previous experience of managing work flow processes revision is VISIO
- Knowledge of workflow diagrams
- Language - Fluency in English
This is a consultancy and not a full time post in UNICEF MCO. All eligible UNICEF retiree (International) are encouraged to apply.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons with disabilities, to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Kuala Lumpur
- Grade: Level not specified
- Closing Date: 2017-03-20