Consultancy: Digital Content Editor, New Yotk, USA
DSS seeks to hire a highly qualified consultant digital content editor to engage existing audiences and reach new ones through its global website. Tasks include writing and editing, working closely with other content creators and subject experts, and coordinating all aspects of website production. This work cannot be done internally because of the lack of staff capacity to carry out this critical function.
Rationale and context of the assignment: The Digital Strategy Section (DSS) within the Division of Communication comprises Web, Social Media and Multimedia teams working together to create compelling public-facing content and to provide digital services within the organization. Through multiple platforms and in multiple languages, DSS draws attention to the many facets of UNICEF's work, encouraging public support, participation and action, as well as ensuring greater transparency and accountability.Web stories, blog posts, photo essays, Facebook posts, Twitter campaigns, and videos for distribution via UNICEF.org, YouTube, news media and other outlets and platforms – all are a part of our digital storytelling. By measuring and testing our efforts, we also use data to inform content and engagement choices.DSS seeks to hire a highly qualified consultant digital content editor to engage existing audiences and reach new ones through its global website. Tasks include writing and editing, working closely with other content creators and subject experts, and coordinating all aspects of website production. This work cannot be done internally because of the lack of staff capacity to carry out this critical function.
Scope of work: As above.
- As part of Web editorial team, write, edit, copy-edit and produce content for UNICEF.org and other channels, as needed
- Make daily updates to UNICEF.org, in line with UNICEF and United Nations style, and with an eye towards the engagement of users and reaching new and larger audiences
- Act as the focal point for the planning and curation of the UNICEF homepage
- Work with Web editorial, development and design teams to build Web pages to UNICEF specifications, carrying out all aspects of editorial page production
- Conceptualize, write and produce special projects with a focus on the user journey and experience
- Contribute to the development and achievement of content goals for UNICEF.org, testing and reporting on new approaches
- Act as a focal point for UNICEF client colleagues and content owners, with a focus on emergencies and child survival
- Liaise with colleagues in field offices on content production and provide guidance on digital storytelling
- Collaborate with colleagues across DSS, providing support as necessary
- Contribute to the normative work of the team, including guidance and reporting
- Work primarily in RedDot content management system (CMS), HTML and other programs, as required, including Adobe Photoshop
- Log and raise technical issues with CMS and related production technology with technical team
- May be asked to work weekends and holidays, as required
- May be required to travel
- Perform other tasks as required
Supervisor and timeframes for reviewing milestones and performance: Communication specialist (Web editorial lead), DSS/DOC. Reviews conducted every 6 months and at the end of contract.
Performance indicators for evaluation of results:
- Standard UNICEF performance evaluations conducted every 6 months and at end of contract
- Timely delivery of quality deliverables and adherence to timeline and set deadlines
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required:
- University degree in communication, journalism, international relations or other fields related to the work of UNICEF
- Five years of experience in a media or other fast-paced editorial environment
- Very strong, and proven, editorial, writing and other communication capabilities
- Exceptional digital aptitude
- Ability to coordinate content professionally with Web, multimedia and social teams
- Detail-oriented, creative, able to work efficiently under tight deadlines
- Fluency in English is required. A second United Nations language is highly desirable
- Content management experience
- Proficiency in HTML and Adobe Photoshop
- United Nations experience is a plus
- Experience with content management systems, especially OpenText (RedDot), is highly desirable
- Web and graphic design experience is a plus
- Experience using Google Analytics is a plus
Payment Terms: Monthly submission of invoices paid in USDPayment will only be made for work satisfactorily completed and accepted by UNICEF.
UNICEF recourse in case of unsatisfactory performance: