Operations Manager, NO-C, Maseru, Lesotho
This advertisement is open to Nationals of Lesotho
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
As the head of operations of a small/medium-sized office or sub office, accountable for management of cost effective, efficient and secure operations, in support of management, administration and implementation of the country programmes. Manage the office's operations (Finance,HR,ICT,Supply ) related functions in accordance with strategy, plans and decisions made by Country Programme Management Team and incorporating the advice from BNLS Operations Hub*.
The reporting of the position is to the Representative of the CO under the technical supervision of Chief of Operations of the BNLS Operations Hub in Johannesburg.
*BNLS Hub: Operations centre established in Johannesburg to support Botswana Namibia Lesotho and Swaziland COs on operations functions.
Key Expected Results
1. Operations of financial, budget, information & communication technology, supply & logistics, human resource and administrative management strengthened and maintained for Country Office.Appropriate and consistent interpretation and application of operations policy and procedures implemented to support operations at the country level in consultation with the Chief of Operations of BNLS Operations Hub.
- Fiduciary responsibility for funds and assets effectively secured and timely executed for optimum utilization by taking appropriate decision on operational and financial transactions, disbursement of funds, and administrative arrangements.
- Basic office services effectively provided to enhance staff safety, productivity and efficiency
- In collaboration with the BNLS Operations Hub, operations components of the CPMP and annual work plans timely prepared, as well as all other operational reporting requirements fully met.
- Compliance with all operational systems and procedures effectively monitored to ensure integrity in all financial and other administrative operations of the office.
- 7. Staff learning/development for the effective operations performance programme developed, implemented and enhanced for capacity building in collaboration with HR manager and Chief of Operations of BNLS Hub.
- Effective coordination, communication, collaboration established and maintained with internal and external partners for efficient operations, advisory function including support to country management team (CMT) on security and emergency operations.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES, DUTIES & TASKS
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
- Effective operations of financial, human resource and administrative management
Manage and ensure the effective, equitable and efficient operations of the office's finance, human resource and administrative systems to support and facilitate the attainment of programmatic goals and objectives by meeting changing operational requirements.
Policy interpretation and application
As technical professional and manager, accountable for the correct and consistent application of organizational policies and procedures in the management of finance and administrative functions through the provision of technical leadership and operational support to the country office.
Contribute to global and regional strategic planning and policy changes/formulation on operational matters as necessary with close co-ordination with the Head of office and Chief of Operations BNLS hub.
Implement the effective communication, training, roll-out, monitoring and evaluation of new operational initiatives, guidelines and procedures.
- Fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds and assets
Safeguard the financial resources entrusted to the office by advising on and/or managing financial assets, financial planning and cash management activities and by recommending improvements to the financial and administrative management systems and procedures in consultation with the Chief of Operations BNLS Hub. Accountable for fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds and assets taking decision on all operational and financial transactions, disbursement of funds, and administrative arrangements.
Ensure efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of resources through knowledge and technology transfer to staff in the country office.
- Leadership in strategic planning and policy formulation in the areas of operations
In consultation with the Chief of Operations BNLS Hub, the incumbent will play a major role in strategic planning and decision-making within the UNICEF Operations and provides sound professional input and oversight to the development, reform and change of financial, human resource and administrative policies, systems and procedures.
Participate in effective management process by providing technical advice and support to corporate committees (including IBR, PBR, CMT, JCC, CRC, PSB, etc.).
- Office Services
Ensure the provision of basic offices services including space management, equipment, communications and security to enhance staff safety and productivity.
Under the auspices of the Inter-Agency Operations Management Team, support approaches for enhancing UN common services to attain efficiencies and effectiveness.
In consultation with the Chief of Operations BNLS Hub, develop the finance, budget and administrative components of the CPMP timely; participate in the review of office structures and operations, and compilation of required job descriptions, prior to budget preparation, in line with the country programme commitment; contribute to the preparation of budget and the accompanying justification and documentation. Participate in the country programme strategy, development, planning and preview/review meetings, to identify staffing and administrative operational requirements. Within the framework of the CPMP, coordinate and contribute towards human resources planning.
- Compliance and Internal Control
Monitor and manage budget process. Ensure all other operational reporting requirements are fully met for the office. Monitor compliance with all operational systems and procedures and ensure integrity in all financial, and other administrative operations of the office.
Serve as the focal person for office management indicators; ensure all other operational reporting requirements are fully met for the office; in collaboration with the Deputy Representative, Chief of Operations BNLS Hub ensure the implementation of agreed audit recommendations; advise on corrective measures to be taken and establish relevant internal controls. Develop training activities to ensure effective operational performance and efficiency.
- Staff Learning and Development
In consultation with the HR manager and the Chief of Operations BNLS Hub, develop training activities to ensure effective operational performance and efficiency. Develop and implement effective staff learning and development programme activities for both programme and operations staff on operational matters for capacity building.
- Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration
Maintain government counterpart relations; resolve issues pertaining to conditions of service, operational facilities and privileges within the context of the Basic Cooperation Agreement; Ensure adherence to financial regulations and rules pertaining to Direct Cash Transfer to Government, implementing partners and other HACT modalities.
Cooperate and coordinate with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including HACT capacity building of IPs, common services and premises agenda, etc.).
Advice Head of Office on finance, human resource and administrative matters providing guidance on all operational submissions through Chief of Operations BNLS Hub for the approval of the Regional Director; brief office staff on financial, human resource and administrative policies and procedures providing authoritative advice; provide technical guidance and oversight to junior Operations staff in country offices and swiftly resolve operational issues.
Establish and maintain all consultative and management committees (e.g. JCP, JCC, CRC, PSB, TRT, PBR and Training etc..); Organize and train committees in compliance with the guidelines.
Collaborate with senior Programme Officers and country office staff providing creative problem solving in support of programming activities while maintaining sound internal operational controls.
Represent the office in meetings with local banks and administrative suppliers; negotiates locally issued contracts as well as in meetings with other UN Agencies to coordinate operational matters and activities, including harmonization of the UN common system.
Represents UNICEF in the local salary survey committee and fully participates in all processes of the salary survey review and administration to ensure the methodology is applied correctly throughout.
Coordinate promptly with the Head of Office and Chief of Operations BNLS Hub, Programme Officers, and other staff in the country office for security-related issues and emergency operations. Provide operational support to emergency preparedness and emergencies. Inform and update all staff members in the country office on security related issues and emergency operations.
Ensure office maintains up-to-date and functioning Business continuity plan, and risk informed work processors and standard operations procedures.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in accounting, business administration, economics, or financial management and membership - or enrolled for membership - of recognized professional accountancy body
- Five years of relevant professional operations management experience.
- National and/or International work experience in office management, finance, accounting, ICT, human resources, supply and administration and/or other related fields,
- Fluency in English and another UN language.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Drive for Result
- Working with People
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Formulating Strategies and Concept
- Leading and Supervising
- Planning and Organizing
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Maseru (Lesotho)
- Grade: NO-C, National Professional Officer - Mid level
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-03-24