International consultant on strategic planning (Consultancy vacancy)
In 2017, the Ministry of Education and Science (MoES) of the KR develops the third Mid-Term Action Plan (2018-2020) to implement the Education Development Strategy 2012-2020 (EDS), which needs to be aligned with National Sustainable Development Strategy (NSDS) beyond 2018. There is a challenge in having a clear decision about the timeframe of the NSDS from the Government side, as well as about an alignment of the current strategy with the global SDGs is still being under the question. Thus, the MoES needs to conduct a good sector analysis of achievements and lessons learnt and develop the sector strategy beyond 2020 based on evidences and targets set up in SDG 4 and other relevant goals. In response to request form the MoES of KR and due to the lack of capacities and specific expertise within the MoES, UNICEF Kyrgyzstan will arrange a technical support to boost a process of Education Development Strategy 2012-2020 Review based on Comprehensive Education Sector Analysis and to contribute to the education reform agenda. Currently, UNICEF is chairing along with the World Bank the Education Donor Partnership Coordination Council (DPCC). As a result of the DPCC meeting on January 24, 2017, donors committed to support MoES in development of the Action Plan 2018-2020 and EDS beyond 2020 in a well-coordinated manner. Furthermore, the results of the study will contribute in the development of the new UNICEF country programme in Kyrgyzstan for 2018-2022.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Assignment
To strengthen the knowledge of the Ministry of Education and Science and other government counterparts and education sector stakeholders required for the development of more equitable and efficient education sector plan for Kyrgyzstan and define/suggest the reform agenda to increase equity, service delivery efficiency and learning outcomes of the national education system.
- Prepare an outline for the Comprehensive Education Sector Analysis based on the GPE/WB/UNESCO/UNICEF Methodological Guidelines covering six sector-wide thematic areas: context; access; cost and financing; quality, system capacity and management; external efficiency; and equity - May-June.
- Conduct a desk review of existing education data necessary to inform the planning of Comprehensive Education Sector Analysis and EDS beyond 2020 including an analysis of data gaps – June.
- Provide an appraisal of the draft third Midterm Action Plan 2018 - 2020 (APED) of the current Education Development Strategy (EDS) of Kyrgyzstan and facilitate a round table discussion with MoES, APED working groups, UNICEF, policy makers, and other donor partners and stakeholders involved – June.
- Establish a team of local and international experts for comprehensive sector analysis and develop the methodology and tools in consultation with MoES and DPCC members. Develop the respective ToRs and work plan – June – July.
- Facilitate contacting the state and non-state actors to gather missing data – July-August.
- Facilitate all national-level research activities and coordination with other research and development partners at national level, and liaise with MoES regarding technical assistance for the Sector Analysis – July-September.
- Conduct/coordinate the Comprehensive Education Sector Analysis in in consultation with MoES and DPCC members - September-November.
- Coach the national research partners, facilitators in the planning, preparation, implementation and evaluation of strategic planning. Based on the findings of the review, conduct a series of strategic planning workshops at the national level – September-October.
- Provide an expert review on the assessment the EDS (2012-2020) implementation progress achieved to date and consult the government stakeholders and donor partners on planning EDS beyond 2020 – September-November.
- Writing a report on the results of the Education Sector Review. The analysis should focus on the specific subsectors: early childhood development; primary and secondary general education, higher education; literacy and non-formal education; and technical and vocational education and training – November-December.
- Participation in the DPCC meetings and presenting data and overview of progress related to the project implementation – when required.
- Supporting advocacy, fundraising and publication efforts of UNICEF by drafting the written inputs to the respective advocacy, media and public statement and donor proposals – when required.
- Documentation of project related data, analysis of the obtained results - December.
- Outline for the Comprehensive Education Sector Analysis based on the GPE/WB/UNESCO/UNICEF Methodological Guidelines produced and agreed with UNICEF and MoES.
- Written guidelines, presentations and other relevant materials for the preparation, planning, implementation of the Sector Analysis.
- Desk review report on existing education data to inform the planning of Comprehensive Education Sector Analysis and EDS beyond 2020 with an analysis of data gaps.
- Appraisal report on the draft third Midterm Action Plan 2018 - 2020 (APED). Round table agenda, list of participants, PPP.
- A list of the team of local and international experts for the Sector Analysis, the methodology and tools developed in consultation with MoES and DPCC members. Respective ToRs, work plan developed.
- An outline of research activities and list of required technical assistance for the Sector Analysis.
- Matrix of identified data gaps, ToRs and work plan for contacting the state and non-state actors to gather missing data.
- Up to 4 workshops (two-day) on strategic planning at the national level facilitated. Agenda, list of participants, workshops materials provided.
- Briefing note to the government stakeholders and donor partners on the overall assessment the EDS (2012-2020) implementation progress achieved to date.
- Comprehensive Education Sector Analysis Report in English
- PPP on the findings of the Comprehensive Education Sector Analysis in English.
- Written inputs/content to the respective UNICEF advocacy, media and public statement and donor proposals.
- Submission of the documentation report to UNICEF.
Official travel involved
Three official travels are envisioned to Kyrgyzstan during the consultancy period in May, September and October as per the work plan. Travel costs to be covered by UNICEF.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Postgraduate degree in education/or social sciences, humanities;
- Minimum 10 years of practical experience in the field of education, educational policies and reform in the educational sector;
- Familiarity with new educational development trends and socio-economic reforms, especially in the CEE/ CIS region;
- Previous work/experience with similar projects;
- Experience in work with international organizations and consultants;
- Knowledge of UNICEF priorities would be an asset;
- Good writing and communication skills;
- Experience and ability to work in a team.
Please indicate your ability, availability and daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Bishkek
- Grade: International Consultant
- Management, Administration and Finance
- Closing Date: 2017-04-06