Child Protection Officer, NO-A, #101613, Paramaribo, Suriname (National of Suriname Only)
The incumbent of this post will report to the Programme Manager Suriname, in close coordination with the Deputy Representative Guyana and Suriname.The incumbent will provide professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process for the child protection programmes/projects through the application of theoretical and technical skills in researching, collecting, analyzing and presenting technical program information while learning organizational rules, regulations and procedures to support the development and formulation of the Child Protection Programme within the Country Programme.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose for the job:
The incumbent of this post will report to the Programme Manager Suriname, in close coordination with the Deputy Representative Guyana and Suriname.
The incumbent will provide professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process for the child protection programmes/projects through the application of theoretical and technical skills in researching, collecting, analyzing and presenting technical program information while learning organizational rules, regulations and procedures to support the development and formulation of the Child Protection Programme within the Country Programme.
Key Expected Results:
1. Support to programme development and planning • Research and analyze regional/national political, protection, social and economic development trends. Collect, analyze, verify and synthesize information to facilitate program development, design and preparation. • Prepare technical reports and inputs for program preparation and documentation ensuring accuracy, timeliness and relevancy of information. • Facilitate the development/establishment of sectoral program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through research, collection, analysis and reporting of child protection and other related information for development planning and priority and goal setting. • Provide technical and administrative support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions, preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results. • Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the program review and approval process.
2. Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results. • Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to collect/analyze/share information on implementation issues, suggest solutions on routine program implementation and submit reports to alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decisions. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned. • Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts and prepare minutes/reports on results for follow up action by higher management and other stakeholders. • Monitor and report on the use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. • Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution. • Prepare inputs for program/donor reporting. • Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders.
3. Technical and operational support to program implementation • Undertake field visits and surveys and/or collect/share information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results. • Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on child protection and related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
4. Networking and partnership building • Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve and sustain results on child protection. • Draft communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for child protection programs. • Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) meetings/events on programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on MSDF operational planning and preparation of child protection programs/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF position and strategies with the MSDF development and planning process. • Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
5. Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building • Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders. • Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results. • Research, benchmark and report on best and cutting edge practices for development planning of knowledge products and systems. • Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate:
• A first-level university degree (Bachelor's) in international development, human rights, psychology, sociology, international law and/or another directly-related field in social science is required.
• A minimum of one (1) year of relevant work experience in social development planning and management in child protection, and/or other related areas is required.
• Prior experience at the international level and in developing countries is considered an asset.
• Prior experience in education program development and management/humanitarian response in a UN system agency or organization is an asset.
• Fluency in English (written & verbal) is required. Knowledge of an additional UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) is considered an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate:
Communication (Level II)
Working with people (Level I)
Drive for results (Level I)
Formulating strategies and concepts (Level I)
Analyzing (Level II)
Applying technical expertise (Level II)
Learning and researching (Level II)
Planning and organizing (Level II)
To view our competency framework, please click here.
The position would be contracted on a Fixed Term basis for one year duration, in the first instance, and renewable thereafter accordingly.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Paramaribo
- Grade: Mid/Senior
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: 2017-04-08