Access Coordinator (National Position), Country Office, Erbil
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
Rights Respected, People Protected
NRC is operating in Iraq since 2010 to respond to the needs of the most vulnerable people affected by on-going conflict in the region. It has its country office in Erbil, KR-I and has area offices in Baghdad, Dohuk, Erbil and Kirkuk.
NRC national program strategy for 2016 takes a whole of Iraq approach focusing on CCCM, WASH, Shelter, Education, Emergency Cash modalities, housing and land property (HLP) and Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA). In 2016, NRC will continue to consolidate operations in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq (KR-I) by providing care and maintenance facilities in IDPs camps, strengthening the relevant government authorities and building systems more at community levels as opposed to household level for successful exit, while also considerably scaling up operations in the South-Central regions of Iraq (with focus on the Anbar and Baghdad Governorates). A further priority will be to reach populations in harder to access areas through working with implementing national partners, established community network contacts and UN-led Rapid Response Mechanisms (RRM). Target caseload will be people affected by displacement including IDPs in camps, IDPs outside of camps, host communities, returnees and refugees.
Access to people in need remains one of the greatest challenges in order to reach the most vulnerable people. Deteriorating security and limited physical access have left many of those most in need with limited or no assistance. Given the highly dynamic security, political and conflict situation, humanitarians are preparing for increasing complexity in reaching the most vulnerable populations in hard to reach areas. NRC aims to expand its access into new areas in Iraq, to address unmet needs and respond to new emergencies. The goal is to ensure that NRC is present and able to provide assistance in areas with the highest needs. The Humanitarian Access Coordinator will support the implementation of the country-wide access strategy in coordination with Area Offices. The position reports to the Access and Partnership Adviser. The position of Access Coordinator is based in Erbil Office.
Ideal Candidate Profile:
A university graduate is preferable. At least (3) years of experience in an international NGO preferably in an emergency or post-conflict setting. Previous experience in working as an Access Coordinator or Equivalent in a humanitarian/recovery context. Fluency in spoken, written Kurdish, Arabic, English and Turkish. Knowledge of humanitarian principles and code of conduct.
Key Job Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support monitoring and evaluation of access-related initiatives, and other reporting and information/communication flows.
- Develop, in a participatory manner, access work plans with field offices.
- Provide area-based access analyses supporting operational implementation or programme development.
- Support Access and Partnership Adviser in mentoring field staff in area offices.
- Other activities agreed and discussed with the Access and Partnership Adviser.
- Provide briefings, following special assessments, to access groups.
- Participate field-level coordination meetings.
- Represent NRC as a humanitarian organization in community outreach meetings and in access negotiation meetings with government and non-government stakeholders.
- Strategically network with interlocutors, in a fully principled and transparent manner.
- Coordinate humanitarian negotiations and community outreach plans with all NRC field offices.
- Experience in humanitarian operations.
- Report-writing ability.
- Understanding and respect for humanitarian work, particularly relating to refugee and displacement issues.
- Ability to work under stress and in high-risk contexts.
- The ability to travel regularly to the field independently is essential.
- Flexibility to work outside standard working hours.
The post will be for (9) months contract duration with possible extension - subject to fund.
Salary: 7/1 according to NRC-Iraq's salary grade.
Benefits: Health insurance.
Duty Station: Erbil with frequent visits to NRC field operations.
For more information, please find attached the job description
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Erbil
- Grade: Junior
- Development Cooperation
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: 2017-04-09