Programme Specialist - Social Protection, P-4, Damascus Syria
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you. For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Overall coordination and management of the total programme commitment of a medium size social protection programme with a broad range of projects, with focus on emergency voucher and cash distribution programmes, and distribution of non food items, including programme/project formulation, design, planning and management focussed on achievement of UNICEF's Organizational priorities.
Key Expected Results
1. Social protection interventions, including e-voucher schemes, regular cash transfers for vulnerable families, and emergency (Non-food Items) NFIs distribution, fully managed.
2. Situation Analysis on social protection issues prepared/updated, critical programme intervention point/measures identified, and programme work plans/recommendations prepared and incorporated. Programme reports prepared as required.
3. Programme funds optimally used.
4. Programme monitoring and evaluations effectively conducted to improve programme performance, and programme status report timely prepared. Gender/sex dis-aggregated data and inputs relevant to country programme provided as integral part of programming.
5. Rights based and results based programming approach fully incorporated into all phases of programme and projects processes.
6. Commitment and institutional capacities of the national and local partners effectively gained and established.
7. Rights perspective and advocacy at the national, community and family levels incorporated in policy analysis for establishing and elevating UNICEF’s credibility in national and international policy debates.
8. Effective partnership and collaboration achieved and maintained for advocacy, technical cooperation, programme development/management/coordination, information sharing and networking.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
Advanced university degree in Social and Economic Sciences, International Relations, Government, Public Administration, Public Policy, Social Policy, Social Development, Community Development, or other relevant disciplines, with specialized training in conflict resolution.
2. Work Experience
- Eight years of relevant professional work experience.
- Developing country work experience (for IP) or field work experience (for NO)
- Background/familiarity with Emergency, in particular with NFI and cash distribution programmes
- Background/familiarity with Social Protection interventions, especially in humanitarian contexts
Fluency in English is required and another UN language is desirable.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
1. Core Values
- Diversity and Inclusion
2. Core Competencies
- Communication [ II ]
- Working with People [ II ]
- Drive for Result [ II ]
3. Functional Competencies
- Leading and Supervising [ II ]
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [ II ]
- Analyzing [ II ]
- Relating and Networking [ II ]
- Persuading and Influencing [ II ]
- Creating and Innovating [ II ]
To view our competency framework, please click here.
* The successful candidate for this emergency recruitment MUST be available to commence work within 31 days of receiving an offer.
* Please note that Damascus is a non-family duty station.
Employment is conditional upon receipt of medical clearance, any clearance required, the grant of a visa, and completion of any other pre-employment criteria that UNICEF may establish. Candidates may not be further considered or offers of employment may be withdrawn if these conditions are unlikely to be met before the date for commencement of service
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Damascus
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Development Cooperation
- Closing Date: 2017-06-05