Wash CSP (Community Support Program) Coordinator - Bekaa (Lebanese Nationals Only) - Lebanon
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
Role and responsibilities
The Wash CSP Project Coordinator is responsible for coordination and implementation of WASH-related Community Support Projects (CSP) within the Bekaa area.
- Develop procedures for the project implementation in accordance with NRC principles.
- Ensure that the implementation of all project activities are in accordance with strategy, proposals, budget lines, work plans, NRC policies, donor requirements and local regulations.
- Ensure that communities and community leaders are involved in and informed about the activities.
- Break down annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans.
- Develop the capacity and responsibilities of WASH staff.
- Follow up on project procurement plans and ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to NRC’s procedures.
- Design tailored solutions for the different areas and types of intervention, taking into account the national WASH strategy standards, SPHERE standards and specific needs.
- Ensure a constructive cooperation with NRC’s other Core Competencies: CMC, Shelter, ICLA and Education.
- Prepare/contribute to progress reports according to agreed deadlines and other documents as required.
- Ensure constructive coordination & cooperation with the local authorities and other international NGOs (WASH and Health) as well as UN agencies.
- Lead the identification of areas of intervention for Community Support Projects (CSP) related to water, sanitation, hygiene and solid waste management, based on NRC guidelines.
- Close cooperation with local and national authorities for project identification, obtaining necessary approvals for CSP implementation, and follow up required.
- Development of external relationships with municipalities, beneficiaries, contractors, ministries, regional water establishments and other relevant stakeholders are expected.
- Draft all necessary project documents, including but not limited to project proposals, MoUs, work plans, procurement plans, spending plans, M&E plans, risk matrices, O&M plans, progress reports, etc., to ensure the projects meet NRC’s standards and expected quality.
- Lead the development of technical designs, drawings, Bill of Quantities and other technical documentation necessary for project realization.
- Ensure detailed and accurate tender documentation including Bill of Quantities, Technical Specifications, Scope of Work and quality assurance.
- Coordinate with Logistics department on tendering process and suppliers’ selection, and review contractors and suppliers’ tender specifications.
- Supervise contractor work closely during the implementation phase, ensuring high quality implementation.
- Ensure synergies with the WASH activities in informal settlements to ensure a comprehensive WASH response within NRC, and provide support to other core competencies (shelter, ICLA, education, CMC) where necessary.
- Attend the local WASH Working Group meetings.
- Investigate and facilitate introduction of new technologies, methods and approaches in order to improve the quality of the activities.
- Coordinate with Security department on the access of new areas of intervention.
Other departments/units within NRC:
- WASH: ensure synergies with the Bekaa WASH ITS response
- Small Shelter Unit (SSU) project: ensure that CSPs benefit SSU beneficiaries, if possible
- Informal Settlements: ensure that CSPs benefit ITS beneficiaries, if possible
- Community Management and Coordination: ensure that referrals from CMC linked to municipal infrastructures are taken into consideration
- Education: ensure that CSPs benefit public schools or learning centers when possible
- Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance: coordinate with the ICLA team to ensure legally binding documents such as MoUs with the municipalities
- Local & national authorities: close collaboration across the whole project phase for project identification, approvals & follow up
- Inter agency coordination: international and national NGOs working in WASH or other sectors, UN bodies, Bekaa Water Establishment
1. Professional competencies
- Master/Bachelor degree or equivalent in Civil, Hydraulic, Environmental or Public Health Engineering
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience of working in complex and volatile context
- Certificate or proven experience in computer-aided design (e.g. AutoCAD) necessary
- Certificate or proven experience in photovoltaics / solar power is a plus
- Experience with start-up of projects
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and verbal
2. Behavioral competencies
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- Handling insecure environments
- Organization: NRC - Norwegian Refugee Council
- Location: Zahlé
- Grade: Level not specified
- Social studies
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Emergency Aid
- Closing Date: