VN 2017/156 (P) - Senior Regional Labour Migration / Migration and Development Specialist (P4) - San Jose, Costa Rica
Position Title Senior Regional Labour Migration / Migration and Development Specialist
Duty Station :San Jose, Costa Rica Classification Professional Staff, Grade P4
Type of Appointment : Fixed term, One year with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date :As soon as possible
Closing Date : 23 July 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. Antigua and Barbuda, Benin, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Guyana, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of), Vanuatu, Samoa 3. External female candidates.
Under the direct supervision of the Regional Director for Central America, North America and the Caribbean in San Jose, Costa Rica and with the technical oversight of the Head, Labour Mobility and Human Development Division (LHD) in the Department of Migration Management (DMM) at Headquarters (HQs), the successful candidate will act as a regional thematic resource person for all three pillars of the LHD portfolio – labour mobility, migration and development, migrant training and integration. S/he will monitor and analyse regional thematic trends; engage with governments and donors in the region in his/her thematic area to ensure comprehensive support in the thematic area in line with IOM`s global approaches and policies; provide thematic support to country missions in the region for the development of projects in the thematic areas; support regional project development, and reviews and endorse projects related to his/her thematic area of expertise in the Central America, North America, and the Caribbean region. Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Act as a thematic resource person providing capacity building, training, and general support to Country Offices (CO) in the region. Contribute to building the capacities of IOM staff in the thematic area through a combination of formal training and on-the-job mentoring. 2. Review, endorse, and track project proposals developed by COs in the region, and provide regular updates to the concerned HQ Division on projects endorsed. Ensure that all endorsed projects are:
a) consistent with the IOM Constitution, IOM Strategy and the Organization’s policies, Page 1 / 4thematic guidelines and manuals and any relevant national and/or regional strategies; b) coherent, relevant, and feasible, and take into account good practices in the respective migration/thematic area(s);
c) developed according to IOM’s project development procedures as established in the IOM Handbook on Projects.
3. Identify emerging issues relevant to the thematic area and contribute to the development of thematic policy and reports. Monitor developments in the thematic area, in close collaboration with the Regional Liaison and Policy Officer (RLPO), where available, COs and relevant HQ Departments.
4. Develop regional and multi-country programmes and projects in the thematic area and identify anticipated synergies between thematic areas in close coordination with the Regional Project Development Officer (RPDO), where available.
5. Provide advice to Country Offices on resource mobilization. Review and endorse narrative donor reports submitted by Country Offices, according to the procedures specified in the IOM Project Handbook.
6. Participate in and actively contribute to IOM’s network of RTSs globally, analyse and share best practices with relevant HQ Divisions and COs, contribute to the development of the LHD knowledge repository and capacity building tools.
7. Support the LHD global network with enhancing IOM`s visibility in the thematic area at regional and global levels by ensuring regular updates on events happening in the region and any other major strategic developments.
8. Contribute to overall coherence of IOM`s responses on migration governance in the region by properly and timely coordinating work in the LHD area with IOM`s work in other thematic areas, such as Migrant Assistance Division (MAD), Transition and Recovery Division (TRD), International Cooperation and Partnerships (ICP), Migration Environment & Climate Change (MECC), Migration Health Division (MHD) and others.
9. Provide thematic and administrative supervision to staff, interns and consultants hired by the Regional Office for specific regional thematic tasks.
10. Develop regional thematic guidance notes, information sheets and policy documents as well as support IOM’s internal reporting processes in coordination with the RLPO, COs and relevant HQ Division(s).
11. Provide thematic guidance to Project Managers through sharing information with the CO at the regional level and providing general technical support upon request from the Field in coordination with the RLPO.
12. Ensure the delivery of quality thematic policy, technical advice and training to governments and other partners in line with regional and global priorities and as required by COs in the region.
13. Support regional strategic planning exercises, and provide support to country level strategic planning as required and in collaboration with the RTSs.
14. Represent IOM in the region by actively participating in conferences, workshops and meetings, donor outreach missions related to the thematic area of expertise, including regional consultative and integration processes, as required by the Regional Director and the LHD Division Head.
15. Liaise with relevant UN and other international stakeholders in the region in the areas of Page 2 / 4his/her thematic expertise, in close coordination and collaboration with the RLPO. 16. Act as an officer-in-charge in the absence of the Regional Director, as requested. 17. Perform such other related duties that may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political or Social Sciences, Business Administration, Migration Studies, International Relations, Law or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience. Experience
• Experience in the field of migration issues, including operational and field experience, IOM project development, and management;
• Demonstrated expertise in the thematic area relevant to project development; • Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/international institutions and NGOs;
• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation;
• Experience of regional issues in the thematic area a distinct advantage. Languages
Fluency in English and Spanish is required. Working knowledge of French is an advantage. Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; Page 3 / 4• Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 23 July 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 10.07.2017 to 23.07.2017
Requisition: VN2017/156(P)-Sr Regional Labour Migration/Migration&Dev Spec-SanJose,Costa Rica (55114143) Released
Posting: Posting NC55114184 (55114184) Released
Page 4 / 4
- Organization: IOM - International Organization for Migration
- Location: San José
- Grade: P-4, International Professional
- Security policy
- Closing Date: 2017-07-23