(For Lao National Only) WASH Monitoring Engineer based in Saravan Province, Lao-PDR.
WASH Monitoring Engineer based in Saravan Province, Lao-PDR
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) in Vientiane, Lao PDR, requires an experienced and qualified Expert National WASH Monitoring Engineer Consultant. Focus Provinces and Districts have increased capacity and deliver child friendly, gender-sensitive WASH services in schools and communities including Primary Health Institutions, to ensure children and women have sustained access to safe water, sanitation and hygiene facilities. This consultancy assignment is for a period of 5 months from 1 August 2017 - 31 December 2017. The consultant will be based in Saravan province.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare work plans with timeframe for monitoring of the construction of the school latrines and water supply systems for the selected schools in Saravan Province.
- In close collaboration with the UNICEF Supply Officer, WASH Construction Manager and WASH Specialist, provincial Nam Saat and Education Unit, provide guidance in preparation of existing technical specifications for bidding documents, Bill of Quantities and ensure the technical quality of the construction documents.
- Supervise and monitor at different stages the construction of school latrines, water supply systems including boreholes, Gravity Fed Water Systems (GFS) and other water sources in respective selected schools to ensure compliance with the design documents, specifications, bill of quantities, construction standards (using a checklist), and timely completion.
- Provide appropriate and timely technical support to the provincial and district line departments for the implementation of projects, programme adjustments, acceleration, improvement and sustainability. Assists government counterparts and other partners in the planning and management of WASH activities.
- Provide timely and adequate information on progress including recommendations and corrective actions of any constraints identified in the implementation process (weekly reports) and properly support the O&M.
Completion of all construction activities, monitoring of guarantee period and reporting as agreed with the supervisor. 50 Schools in Saravane and 35 in Savanakhet.
Qualifications and experience:
- University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to Civil Engineering, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to WASH related development assistance.
- Ability to do the work immediately
- Knowledge about WASH and UNICEF working environment and educational system/conditions is an asset
- Experience in professional reporting
- Proven excellent communication and networking skills
- Two years of professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization or private sector and national government and field work experience
- Fluency in Lao and English is required
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Vientiane
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Junior level
- Closing Date: 2017-08-04