TA Programme Officer-Community Development, No2, Honiara, Solomon Islands (Post no: 00102573)
Honiara (Solomon Islands)
**THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOLOMON ISLAND NATIONALS ONLY** The UNICEF Pacific Office in Solomon Islands is looking to engage a Solomon Island national to the position of Programme Officer-Community Development who will provide professional technical, operational and administrative assistance for the Child Survival and Development Program within the UNICEF Pacific Multi-country Program from development planning to delivery of results, preparing, executing, managing and implementing supporting the development and implementation of a community health strategy with an integrated focus towards early childhood development (ECD).
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Community Development Officer will work under the supervision of the Programme Officer Immunization based in Honiara with technical support from the Maternal and Child Health Specialist in Suva/Chief of Child Survival and Development based in Suva. The Community Development Officer will provide professional technical, operational and administrative assistance for the Child Survival and Development Program within the UNICEF Pacific Multi-country Program from development planning to delivery of results, preparing, executing, managing and implementing supporting the development and implementation of a community health strategy with an integrated focus towards early childhood development (ECD).
Key Expected Results
- Support to program development and planning
- Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Technical and operational support to program implementation
- Networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Support to program development and planning
- Support the conduct/update of situation analysis on community health development structures in the Solomon Islands
- Desk review of global experiences and best practices on community health programmes in developing countries including pacific island countries which will help higher management to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery of results.
- Contribute to the development of community health strategy the Solomon Islands based on the local context (political, legal, institutional, socio-economical, cultural and technological), global experiences and best practices with focus on the marginalized and most vulnerable in the community
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions, preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the program review and approval process
Program management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
- Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual sectoral reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programs and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
- Monitor and report on the use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
- Prepare regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
Technical and operational support to program implementation
- Facilitate the identification and setting up of community health workers working closely with identified communities and relevant stakeholders
- Conduct regular program field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
- Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on health and related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
Networking and partnership building
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with health sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to enhance program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to deliver concrete and sustainable results.
- Draft communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for health programs.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) on health programs to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of health programs/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
- Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
- Assist with oversight of research and ensure results are available for use in knowledge products
- Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- A University Degree in public health with a concentration on community development and organization. is required.
- A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in community development facilitating community organisation. Experience in community health development program/project development in UN system agency or organization is an asset
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and inclusion
- Working with people
- Drive for results
- Formulating strategies and concepts (I)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying technical expertise ((II)
- Learning and researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Honiara (Solomon Islands)
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Social Affairs
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Architecture, Building and Property Management
- Project and Programme Management
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2017-08-11