SVN 2017/144 (P) - Project Coordinator for the Caribbean(P2)-Georgetown, Guyana
Position Title Project Coordinator for the Caribbean
Duty Station : Georgetown, Guyana
Classification :Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment : Special short-term graded, Nine months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 10 August 2017
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants. IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Applications from qualified female candidates are especially encouraged. For the purpose of the vacancy, the following candidates are considered as first-tier candidates:
1. Internal candidates
2. Qualified applicants from the following NMS countries:
Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Botswana, Belize, Congo, Cabo Verde, Djibouti, Micronesia (Federated States of), Gabon, Gambia, Iceland, Comoros, Lesotho, Luxembourg, Libya, Montenegro, Marshall Islands, Mauritania, Maldives, Malawi, Namibia, Nauru, Papua New Guinea,
Paraguay, Seychelles, Slovenia, Suriname, El Salvador, Swaziland, Timor-Leste, Trinidad and Tobago, Holy See, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Vanuatu, Samoa
Under the overall supervision of the Regional Director (RD) for Central and North America and the Caribbean at the Regional Office in San Jose (RO San Jose), the direct supervision of the Chief of Mission (COM) and Senior Regional Coordination Officer for the Caribbean (RCOC) in Georgetown, and in coordination with the relevant Regional Thematic Specialists (RTS) at the RO San Jose, the successful candidate will be responsible for supporting project development and implementation in countries in the Caribbean sub-region where there is no IOM presence as well as in countries where IOM has small size offices such as Cuba and Trinidad & Tobago. S/he will also assist with the management of national programmatic activities of the offices in the Cuba, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago as well as other IOM offices in the Caribbean that may be established in the future.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Facilitate timely and effective channels of communication with the sub-regional cluster offices, so that coordination and support is provided to and implemented in these countries, in close coordination with the RTS in San Jose.
2. Organize and arrange, in collaboration with sub regional cluster offices and RTS in San Jose Page 1 / 4and Panama, quarterly Web-Ex Meetings for the sharing of information and facilitating of discussions among Caribbean missions and the RO San Jose on projects and regional initiatives.
3 . Provide information and guidance to all sub-regional cluster offices on local context and opportunities for project development. Review and edit concept notes and contribute to project development by selecting and summarizing background information and drafting segments of project proposals.
4. Participate in meetings and events, travelling when necessary and as requested by the RCOC, and provide information on project management and internal procedures for monitoring and reporting, prepare presentations, overviews, etc., and disseminate other materials as requested.
5. Maintain and update the regional calendar as a shared calendar among the sub regional cluster offices and the regional directory for the sharing of information related to national counterparts.
6. Coordinate and organize the visits of the RCOC in close cooperation with involved sub-regional cluster offices in the region, as well as with national authorities where IOM Country Offices are not present.
7. Provide support and assistance for the timely implementation of IOM related projects in countries where IOM has no staff presence. Follow up on logistical and administrative arrangements, and ensure that donor reporting information and schedules are available. 8. Assist in the drafting and updating of the Strategic Action Plan for the Caribbean sub-region and ensure its circulation with all relevant partners.
9. Monitor and coordinate the implementation of AVRR (Assisted Voluntary Return and Reintegration) projects in countries where IOM has no presence, including strict adherence to relevant rules and regulations, and bring issues of non-compliance to the attention of the supervisor. Liaise with the Resource Management Unit to ensure that transfers are kept within the stipulated amounts.
10. Support activities related to the implementation of the meetings of the Caribbean Migration Consultations (CMC) in close coordination with the RO San Jose.
11. Provide information and administrative support to the RCOC in meetings and for approaches to regional bodies such as CARICOM, the OECS, the ACS, etc. 12. Draft portions of necessary reports based on established templates and approved project proposals.
13. Perform such other related duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Master’s degree in Political Science, Law, International Affairs, Psychology, Social Work or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
• University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience. Page 2 / 4Experience
• At least two years of relevant experience in the area of project management or social work; • Experience in liaising with national, regional and international bodies; • Good knowledge of budget development and financial administration;
• Good knowledge of project formulation, administration and evaluation techniques and practices;
• Strong knowledge of internal control procedures to ensure implementation is in line with objectives;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• High level of computer literacy;
• Prior experience working for IOM, a UN agency or another international organization will be an advantage.
• Fluency in English and working knowledge of Spanish is required.Working knowledge of French and/or Dutch is also an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms; • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders; • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others; • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience; • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services; • Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism - displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
• Technological Awareness - displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization - works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile. Page 3 / 4Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances. How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 10 August 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement. For further information, please refer to:
http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 28.07.2017 to 10.08.2017
Requisition: SVN 2017/144 (P) - Project Coordinator for the Caribbean(P2)-Georgetown, Guyana (55131166) Released
Posting: Posting NC55131176 (55131176) Released
Page 4 / 4