WASH in Institution Officer NOB (Only nationals of PNG to apply)
UNICEF Papua New Guinea is seeking to recruit a National Officer for the position of WASH in Institution Officer NOB to support the WASH Section.
U N I T E D N A T I O N S C H I L D R E N’S F U N D
Urgently requires a suitable professional for its Port Moresby office;
WASH in Institution officer: NOB
Purpose of the Assignment: Under the general guidance and supervision of the Chief of WASH Section and the WASH Specialist; the incumbent performs the following duties whilst implementing WASH in schools and health facilities programme and delivery of services in the select districts/provinces.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ensure the availability of accurate, complete and up-to-date information required for effective WASH programme and project design, implementation, management, monitoring and evaluation. Draft sound WASH programme budgets for review by the supervisor, including concrete steps to enhance emergency preparedness and response.
- Enhance programme efficiency and effectiveness through evidence base approach and implementation follow-on, including monitoring UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources, flow of supply and non-supply and emergency assistance and WASH programme status.
- Analyze collected data and information and prepare progress reports; draft changes in WASH project work plans and assist in identification of required supplies and equipment (for both development and emergency orientated activities) as well as in the drafting of Country Programme Recommendation and other programme documentation, assuring accuracy and consistency with established rules, regulations and plans of action.
- Ensure the appropriateness of financial, administrative and supply documentation; verify that WASH programme expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the programme information and database. Follow up on queries or initiate corrective action on discrepancies. Collaborate with Monitoring & Evaluation office on maintaining a gender & equity focus in WASH data collection and reporting.
- Provide technical oversight and supervision of implementation of WASH in Schools and health facilities in select districts/provinces.
- Compile WASH programme implementation, preparedness, and training and orientation materials to promote knowledge sharing with counterparts, WASH sectoral stakeholders, donors and media.
- Ensure the effective communication and networking developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration. Collaborate with Operations staff to implement internal controls systems and resolve day-to-day issues or discrepancies in financial or supply management.
- Team with local Government and sectoral stakeholders counterparts to exchange information on WASH programme implementation, status, capacity and risk mapping, preparedness as well as movement, prepositioning and distribution of supplies.
- Coordinate with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information relating to WASH sector. Where appropriate support the IASC WASH Cluster during preparedness and response to emergencies.
Educational requirements: University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Public Health, Civil Engineering, Geology, Hydrology, Sanitation Engineering, or a field relevant to international WASH related development assistance.
Additional training in Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), is preferable. Masters is an asset.
Work Experience: Two years of WASH in schools/health professional work experience in the UN or other international development organization or private sector (for IP) and national government and field work experience (for NO).
Background/familiarity with Emergency preparedness and response (and the IASC Cluster approach).
Language requirement: Fluency English and Tok Pisin. Knowledge of another UN working language is an asset.
Functtional Competencies required: Communication, Working with People, Drive for Results. Formulating Strategies and Concepts, Analyzing, Applying Technical Expertise, Learning and Researching, Planning and Organizing.
Closing date is on 25th August 2017.
UNICEF is a smoke-free environment and qualified females are encouraged to apply,
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Port Moresby
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Junior level
- Water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH)
- Closing Date: 2017-08-25