Associate Contracts Management Officer
Entebbe | Kigali
Background Information - PSC
The UNOPS Peace and Security Centre (PSC) is a principal service provider in the field of mine action with the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), UNDP, UNICEF, Governments of mine-affected countries and other mine action partners. The Centre is responsible for administering, providing support and providing oversight of the day-to-day management of the Project Field offices, both according to the client requirements and in line with UNOPS rules and regulations. It is headed by the Centre Director who has the overall authority and accountability for the performance of the Peace and Security Cluster on behalf of its clients.
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS) established a regional support office, the Entebbe Support Base (ESB) in November 2016. This office supports the regional UNMAS programmes based in the Democratic Republic of Congo, South Sudan and Abyei Administration Area.
Under the guidance of the Head of Support Services of the Entebbe Support Base (ESB), and direct supervision of the Contracts Management Officer, the Associate Contracts Management Officer (ACMO) will be responsible for providing support to all ESB programmes in effective and timely delivery of UNOPS’ contracts management services, and be in full compliance with UNOPS financial rules and regulations and donor requirements
- Assist in managing and monitoring contractors’ performance to ensure contractual compliance
- Assist the Contracts Management Officer (CMO) in the development and implementation of a contract management plan for all UNOPS mine action contracts and grants in country including such as formulating plan for CMO review and approval on following elements: identify monitoring schedule, means of verification, timeframe and acceptance level for delivery of contractual milestones by contractors.
- After consultation with CMO, communicate with the Programme Managers of UNMAS field programmes and UNOPS PSC Portfolio Manager of any financial or operational irregularities such as contractors’ under-performance or failing to meet contractual targets and propose remedial actions
- S/he will travel to the field and visit sites being worked on by contractors and offices used.
- Provide coordination assistance to the CMO and UNOPS Portfolio Managers in the field vis-à-vis subcontractors, clients, national authorities and other external parties to the programme with regards to UNOPS implemented projects.
- Assist in the preparation and issuance of Memorandum of Agreement (MoA), Statement of Works (SoW), contracts, grant service agreements and other documents required for project implementation in cooperation with UNOPS legal specialists and portfolio managers as needed.
- Monitor and analyze contract performance against agreed benchmarks and through agreed reporting mechanism. Raise concern to the attention of the CMO to advise the senior management on any potential issues and recommend remedial actions or solutions.
- Actively engage with the operations team of UNMAS programmes in the field to monitor the contractors’ performance and ensure compliance with contractual terms and conditions, in accordance with the contract management plan.
- Review and certify milestone reports and service delivery against contractual requirements in collaboration with the programme in the field for the acceptance and payment to contractors upon completion of milestone delivery. Make recommendations to UNOPS Portfolio Manager for payments including liquidated damages for under-performance or non-compliance if necessary.
- Maintain a tracking database on payment schedules and actual disbursements of all contracts managed by ESB vis-à-vis programmes’ budgets. Assist the CMO in the formulation of third party engagement component of the annual mine action budgets and cash flow forecast for field programmes.
- Support the CMO in the preparation and coordination for negotiations with contractors, communicate on the terms and conditions of the contract, and provide recommendations to CMO on conflicts/problems arising in case of poor performance or non-compliance with contractual obligations.
- Frequently attend meetings with contractors to allow ample opportunity for the identification and early resolution of potential disputes, and raise concerns to the review and advice of the CMO.
- Coordinate with field staff in providing administrative and logistical support to contractors such as ID issuance, visa application and tax exemption for goods purchased for the implementation of the contract. Assist in the verification of goods, monitoring performance of subcontractors when required.
- Assist in ensuring key meetings and work procedures are properly documented and institutionalized.
- Assist in international bidding processes including but not limited to the pre-qualification and short-listing of bidders, preparations of bids, issuance of bids, pre-bid conference, receipt and opening of bids, bid evaluation, submission to UNOPS HQCPC (Headquarters Contracts and Property Committee) for recommendation of award, contracts negotiations, contract finalization and issuance.
- Assist in local and regional procurement for the office when required.
- Realize syntheses of lessons learnt and best practices in contract management and procurement and participate in knowledge sharing activities in the organisation.
- Ensure full compliance of procurement /contracting activities within UN/UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies.
- Implement any other tasks requested by the Head of Support Services and Contracts Management Officer.
- Advanced University Degree (Master’s Degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Purchasing and Supply, International Relations, Development Studies or other relevant discipline with 2 years of relevant experience; OR
- A first level University degree (Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent) in Business Administration, Purchasing and Supply, International Relations, Development Studies or other relevant discipline with 4 years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of advance degree.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in contracts management, procurement and supply chain management with at least 1 year experience in contracts management matters is required.
- Experience working in a multicultural environment is required
- Experience in UN ERP systems such as Agresso, ATLAS, or UMOJA is considered an asset.
- Experience in project management is considered an asset;
- Experience in Mine Action is highly desirable;
- Experience in UN system including financial rules and regulations and familiarity with UNOPS procedures is desired;
- Fluency in written and oral English is required
- knowledge of a second official UN language is considered an asset;
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: ICS-9/IICA-1
Contract duration: 12 months with possibility of extension subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner. Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations. With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it. A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Entebbe | Kigali
- Grade: IICA-1, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Legal - Broad
- Operations and Administrations
- Administrative support
- Closing Date: 2017-08-28