Local Consultant for the Make My Island Project
As the global balance of power shifts, UNDP is taking on new roles and funding. The recent geopolitical shift is reflected in the new 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, with its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which universally applies to all countries in the world. The UN Development Programme (UNDP) was established in 1965 to channel official development assistance (ODA) to developing countries. It has grown into an operation with a presence in more than 170 countries. In Asia and the Pacific alone, UNDP’s experts have become trusted partners to 36 governments. We are in the process of adapting to the new development landscape, where UNDP’s core funding continued to be under pressure. The challenge for UNDP now is to adapt to the changing, ever- “flatter” world of development cooperation.
UNDP Maldives has been working closely with the government of Maldives in achieving its national goals as key partner in the development arena. As such UNDP Maldives, has recently begun to explore ways through which the immense potential and expertise of the private sector in addressing the development challenges of our communities can be mobilized from concerted and continued engagement at the grassroots levels where the private sector and companies partner with us to create sustainable solutions. The main aim of “Make my Island” platform is to cater for the above-mentioned task in developing new projects and to connect between development industries and the people.
Under the guidance of the Partnership and Engagement Associate the Consultant will work closely with the private sector in formulating partnerships and the multiple small grants programmes at UNDP Maldives to implement the community engagement projects.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the over-all supervision of the Assistant Resident Representative – Democratic Governance and with guidance from the Partnership and Engagement Associate, the Consultant will support the Make My Island Project in the following activities:
- Administrative support to the Programme Unit
- Keeping track of project finances
- Day to day liaison with partners
- Liaising with UNDP project units to develop new projects
- Supporting the Make My Island project in liaising with technical experts conducting baseline studies & surveys
- Researching on crowdfunding portals & support to Make My Island project in establishing a crowdfunding system
- Support UNDP communications in developing & capturing of stories regarding community successes through UNDP collaboration
- Arranging logistics for scoping missions / visibility events
Duration of the Consultancy and Organizational Set-up
The Consultancy will be for a duration of 3 months’ full time. The consultant will work with the Partnership and Engagement Associate. The Consultant will also work with the members of the Small Grants Team at UNDP Maldives. There may be occasional travel involved to attend meetings outside Male’.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism;
- Fulfills all obligations to gender sensitivity and zero tolerance for sexual harassment.
- Inter-personal skills;
- Exceptional analytical skills, solution oriented program design skills;
- Research and evaluation skills including ability to synthesize information;
- Excellent oral, and effective presentation and report-writing skills;
- Ability to work under with minimum supervision, while meeting deadlines;
- Demonstrated ability of timely completion of assignments;
- Excellent social and communication skills;
- Strong facilitation skills;
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural settings;
- Good working knowledge of information technology;
- Excellent Managerial and analytical skills;
- Proven co-ordination and networking skills.
Required Skills and Experience
- Completed Secondary Education or a Diploma or University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- Relevant administrative or programme experience
- Knowledge of the work of the UN and other development agencies in the Maldives is desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work and establish harmonious and effective working relationships both within and outside the office
- Proven ability to organize events, innovate, plan and implement ideas
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Excellent English oral and written communications skills
- The application must include a letter of interest to undertake this task, the CV, Personal History Form (P11), and a financial proposal (indicating the monthly fee (in MVR) for the assignment). The applicant must also submit the reference letters from past supervisors/clients. To download P11, kindly please visit the link: http://www.mv.undp.org/content/maldives/en/home/operations/jobs
- Please combine all the documents into one single file, as the system will allow for only one document to be uploaded.
- We will only accept online applications.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Male
- Grade: National Consultant - Consultancy
- Public Administration - Restructuring
- Closing Date: 2017-09-24