Regional Adviser Communication for Development, (P-5), ESARO, Nairobi, Kenya
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
For every child, a fair chance
How can you make a difference?
With the guidance of Deputy Regional Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the oversight and guidance of Country Office design, management, execution, monitoring and evaluation of integrated and strategic communication for development and social mobilization plans that support community empowerment and behaviour change as key components of the country programmes in Eastern and Southern Africa Region.
Key Expected Results
1. Policy Direction
Set policy direction for communication for development teams and ensure the communication for development programme is in line with Country Office and Strategic Plan priorities, CCCs and UN reform.
· Provide expert advice and assistance to the UNICEF Senior Managers and through them to government counterparts on attitude and behaviour change modalities that contribute to changing mindsets and are culturally sensitive and tailored to address changing programme contexts.
2. Vision and Expert Advice on Strategy, Plans and Implementation
Provide vision, expert advice and assistance to programme communication teams.
· Make viable recommendations on appropriate communication for development strategies to achieve the organization's global goals, and to support UNICEF's mission in the country.
· Provide guidance to UNICEF management and the Chief Communication for Development as they oversee, manage, lead, and facilitate the formulation and implementation of communication policy, strategy and plans of action aiming at general public and service providers through: (a) behaviour development/change at individual/household levels; (b) social mobilization of civil society organizations; and (c) increased community participation in development programmes for positive social change.
3. Operational Processes and Plans
Provide expert advice, guidance and leadership in the management of operations process and plans of communication for development.
· Guide major decisions and recommendations on operational strategies, guide operational processes, methodologies, approaches, and establish plans, to achieve participatory communication, social mobilization and behaviour change. Guide operational decisions on appropriate materials and media to reach target audiences, technical resources required, allocation of financial resources, as well as time-frame for various activities, in support of the achievement of country programme and organizational goals.
4. Partnerships and Intersectoral Alliances
Initiate, guide, lead, coordinate, facilitate and support the development/ strengthening of key partnerships and intersectoral alliances.
· Coordinate and collaborate with key NGO and bilateral partners and government counterparts at regional level, and support such action at country level, for promotion of partnerships and alliances in the areas of behaviour change, community participation/empowerment and social mobilization.
5. Promotion of Appropriate Use of Communication Social Development
Provide expert advice on appropriate use of communication and approach for social development, aimed at both individual behaviour change and collective action.
· Provide expert advice, coordination and technical support to Country Offices and through them to government counterparts and other partners in the development and strategic use of communication for social development.
· Support Country Office collaboration with government officials, community leaders, UN, and bilateral agencies and NGOs in the organization of activities, operational research, advocacy and exchange of information and ideas supportive of programme communication goals and strategies.
6. Capacity Building for Sustainability
Exercise effective leadership and provide expert advice on capacity building of communication for development teams.
· Oversee and advise on the development of goals, strategy, plans as well as training materials and activities to build up capacity in participatory and behaviour change communication for personnel involved in the planning, implementation and evaluation of communication for development intervention, in support of programme sustainability.
7. Resource Mobilization and Management
Participate in the budget planning & review process, and ensure the optimal resource allocation, appropriation of allocated programme funds and the compliance with rules and regulations.
· Participate in and contribute to the budget and programme review and planning process. Establish programme work plans, allocation of resources, and monitors progress and compliance.
· Take appropriate actions to optimize use of programme funds and mobilize resources; improve programme efficiency, quality and delivery through a rigorous and transparent approach to programme planning, monitoring and evaluation.
Oversee the overall allocation and disbursement of programme funds, making sure that funds are properly and effectively coordinated, monitored and liquidated.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Advanced university degree or equivalent backgrounds in Human Resources, Business Administration, International Relations, Social Sciences, Psychology or related areas.
- A minimum of ten years of relevant professional experience.
- Developing country work experience and field work experience. Background/familiarity with emergency and security.
- Fluency in English and another UN language.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
This position is classified as “rotational” which means the incumbent is expected to rotate to another duty station upon completion of their tour of duty,
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Nairobi
- Grade: P-5, International Professional - Senior level
- Closing Date: 2017-10-06