Assistant - Protection (2 positions for men, 2 positions for women)(Somali & Oromo speaker)
Title: Assistant - Protection (2 positions for men, 2 positions for women)(Somali & Oromo speaker)
Location: Based in Sana’a with travel to surrounding governorates.
Start of Contract & Duration: ASAP. Contract duration until 31 Dec 2017 with possibility of extension.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organisation founded in 1956 that works in more than 30 countries throughout the world. DRC provides direct assistance to conflict-affected populations- refugees, internally displaced people and host communities in the conflict areas of the world and advocates on their behalf internationally and in Denmark.
In 2008, DRC started working in Yemen in order to respond to the mixed migration flows from the Horn of Africa. DRC’s operations have since expanded to include food security, livelihoods, water and sanitation hygiene, and protection assistance to children, vulnerable households, internally displaced persons, and host communities.
Through its mixed migration programming, DRC works with local authorities, community leaders and other partners to respond to the mixed migration flow to and through Yemen by screening new arrivals, gathering and analyzing data, providing basic life-saving assistance and referrals, and providing ongoing consultation, training and support to relevant stakeholders in accordance with protection mainstreaming, humanitarian principals and best practices.
- Under the guidance of the program manager, coordinator and/or officers train, support and monitor local partner CSOs, community volunteers, community-based committees and/or other stakeholders.
- Identify, select and verify, in accordance with established eligibility criteria, the most vulnerable for further assistance.
- Follow-up on all referrals and document outcomes.
- Implement of all components of the program in compliance with the standards of operation and M&E plan, follow weekly work plans for all activities making sure to mainstream protection and comply with humanitarian standards.
- At the direction of the supervisor, liaise with community leaders and field staff from other NGOs and UN agencies.
- Maintain a daily presence at the program sites to implement the program, identify any concerns and obtain beneficiary feedback.
- Document, through pictures and stories, the impact of the program.
- Ensure that any beneficiary feedback, concerns or issues are addressed through the appropriate mechanisms.
- Enter data and maintain accurate records regarding program implementation.
- Provide weekly updates to the officer, coordinator and/or manager.
- Contribute to draft reports and comply with set deadlines.
- Attend cluster or other meeting and participate in trainings as assigned by the supervisor.
- Comply with DRC’s Code of Conduct, program requirements and operational policies at all times and report any concerns through the appropriate mechanism.
- Any other duties as required by the supervisor.
- Conduct patrols as part of the mobile team in Sana’a and surrounding governorates as assigned by the coordinator/manager.
- Screen new arrivals to Yemen (migrants, refugees and asylum seekers) to identify protection needs and obtain their background information.
- Counsel and provide information to new arrivals on their rights, the risks of irregular migration, and the situation in Yemen.
- Translate from/to Somali, Amharic and/or Oromo to Arabic between new arrivals and other team members to ensure the proper communication and the delivery of the assistance.
- Submit a list of encountered new arrivals each day.
- Provide new arrivals with a meal and submit a list of their names to the field officer.
- Provide assistance (meal vouchers, dignity kits) to the most vulnerable new arrivals in accordance with established criteria and any donor requirements.
- Immediately report any concerns or especially vulnerable cases to field officer in order to refer those cases to need services and support.
- College degree
- A minimum of one year of experience working with a NNGO, INGO or UN agency or similar experience.
- Fluent Arabic (spoken and written)
- Basic English proficiency (spoken and written) is an asset.
- Familiarity with and acceptance in the local community
- Experience working with local communities and community leaders
- Willingness to be placed and work in the field as assigned
- Commitment to humanitarian principles
- Organizational, time-management and documentation skills
- Ability and willingness to be a team player
- Fluent speaker of Oromo, Amharic and/or Somali
- Experience working with migrants, refugees or asylum seekers
- Experience translating Oromo, Amharic and/or Somali to Arabic and/or English
- Experience conducting field interviews with vulnerable populations
- Knowledge of the local community and available resources.
- Organization: DRC - Danish Refugee Council
- Location: Sanaa
- Grade: Services and Support - Administrative support
- Legal - International Law
- Closing Date: 2017-09-30