Governance and CSO Associate
The EU-funded Regional Programme on Local Democracy in the Western Balkans (ReLOaD) aims to strengthen partnerships between local governments and civil society by scaling-up a successful model of transparent and project-based funding of CSOs. The Western Balkan (WB) countries are facing complex set of similar development challenges. These countries, namely Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Kosovo*, Montenegro, and Serbia, invest significant efforts to mainstream the EU accession agenda within their socio-political contexts.
An integral part of the EU accession agenda is to promote the inclusion of civil society and further development of participatory democracies in the Region. All the WB countries face challenges, specifically related to the lack of collaboration between the government and civil society. Also, lack of transparency of existing public mechanisms for support of civil society organizations (CSO), mainly at the local level, is perceived as one of the main obstacle for development and functioning of credible civil society in the Region.
The ReLOaD in Albania will focus on institutionalization of interaction between local governments and CSOs. The underlying intention of the Programme is to put in practice and sustain a transparent, development-oriented and project-based approach to funding of CSOs by municipal budgets that contributes to realization of legitimate local priorities in line with local development strategies.
The Programme duration is February 2017 – January 2020).
 * This designation is without prejudice to positions on status, and is in line with UNSCR 1244/1999 and the ICJ Opinion on the Kosovo declaration of independence.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
1. Support to capacity building of partner local governments;
2. Results-based and financial monitoring of CSOs projects in partner local governments;
3. Support the Project team in administrative activities;
4. Ensure effective mainstreaming of gender equality.
1. Support to capacity building of partner local governments
- Assist partner local governments and CSOs to understand the project objectives and effectively participate in the overall project implementation;
- Assist the Project Officer in implementing project strategies regarding transparent mechanisms for CSO;
- Support monitoring of the progress of local governments in implementation of the transparent funding mechanisms for CSO;
- Support capacity building activities of local governments officials and representatives of CSOs including trainings, meetings, in line with UNDP rules and regulations;
- Intensively work on promotion of effective civic participation in the project implementation;
- Participate in planning and implementation of workshops, facilitating the wide representation and full participation of local stakeholders ensuring gender equality;
- As a part of project team provide technical support to the LGs to publish public calls for CSOs, hold open days and participate in selection of CSO projects;
- Work on promotion of effective participation of local governments in monitoring civil society projects;
- Ensure support during preparation of trainings, meetings and other events in coordination with UNDP rules and regulations.
2. Results-based and financial monitoring of CSOs projects in partner local governments
- Act as a focal point for the implementation of CSO activities in selected local governments;
- Conduct the result-based and financial monitoring of CSO projects implementation in close collaboration with monitoring representatives from partner local governments;Plan, organize, and coordinate with the Project team, regular field monitoring missions to local governments;
- Plan, organize and conduct regular monthly and ad hoc field visits to CSO awarded projects and oversee implementation of CSO projects in line with implementation dynamics;
- Provide exemplary couching and trainings on all aspects of monitoring to the local governments’ monitoring representatives within joint monitoring visits;
- Ensure that grant funds are used efficiently and in accordance with the principles of sound financial management, including the principle of transparency and gender sensitivity;
- Hold implementation meetings with grant-awarded CSOs and provide coaching and support to CSOs during implementation;
- Prepare regular and ad hoc reports on CSO project implementation, achievement of expected results and recommend corrective actions when necessary;
- Prepare any other reports related to the project implementation in partner local governments upon request of the Project officer;
- Ensure compatibility of all CSOs visibility products with the visibility guidelines deriving from the ReLOD’s Visibility and Communication strategy;
- Provide assistance to CSOs and local governments in promotion and visibility activities respecting Project’s and donor requirements.
3. Support Project team in administrative activities
- Assist to the Project team in the organization conferences and other logistics arrangements;
- Assist in preparation of Micro-Capital Grant Agreements for CSOs;
- Collect and compile monthly expenditure reports and other related financial documents;
- Ensure regular office work, including maintaining files, drafting correspondence, photocopying, scanning, minute taking, etc.;
- Archive all relevant documents related to work with CSOs (project documents, monitoring reports and any other reports, etc.);
- Arrange meetings and draft routine correspondence, facsimile, minutes including preparing background materials for discussions and briefing sessions;
- Provide assistance to team members in their regular assignments and disseminating information;
- Assist the Project team in identifying and coordinating activities including maintaining contacts with stakeholders.
4. Ensure effective mainstreaming of gender equality
- Support to the Project Officer in mainstreaming gender equality in the programme implementation;
- Support to the Project Officer in preparing gender equality background materials for use in discussion, correspondence and briefing sessions;
- Ensure that all the data, when collecting and compiling inputs relating to programme, are gender disaggregated;
- In the preparation of meetings/consultations/trainings/commissions ensure a minimum of 30% participation of the other sex.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.1: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
· Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
· Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
· Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals.
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
· Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives;
· Maintains databases of donor information;
· Tracks and reports on mobilized resources.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
· Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches;
· Responds positively to new approaches.
Level 1.1: Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
· Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors;
· Maintains database of program files;
· Provides data and information needed for preparation of program documents.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
· Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things;
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
· Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position;
· Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks;
· Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning;
· Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
· Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.1: Research and analysis
· Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences.
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
· Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion;
· Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
· Responds to client needs promptly.
· Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
· Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
· Self-development, initiative-taking;
· Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
· Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
· Creating synergies through self-control;
· Managing conflict;
· Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee;
· Informed and transparent decision making.
Required Skills and Experience
- BA Degree in Political Sciences, Social Sciences or Economics
- At least 5 years of working experience;
- Experience in the field of civil society and local governance;
- Knowledge of PCM techniques and working experience in monitoring of CSO projects will be considered an asset;
- Demonstrated experience and ability in building and maintaining partnership and working relationship with civil society, local government units and other stakeholders, including government, and international donors
- Proficient in MS Word and MS Excel spreadsheet
- Experience in financial reporting, especially with EU projects
Language and other Requirements:
- Fluency in English and Albanian language;
- Willingness to extensive travel within Albania and the Western Balkans
Interested applicants are advised to carefully study all sections of this ToRs and ensure that they meet the general requirements as well as specific qualifications described.
UNDP promotes a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and value unique contributions of all people. It encourages qualified women, minorities, persons with disabilities or members of other underrepresented groups to apply for this job/position.
- Organization: UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
- Location: Tirana
- Grade: SB-3, Service Contract, Local Contractors Agreement - Administrative support
- International Relations
- Public Policy and Administration
- Development Cooperation and Sustainable Development Goals
- Democratic Governance
- Population matters (trends and census)
- Civil Society and Local governance
- Closing Date: 2017-11-03