SENIOR DIRECTOR FOR DATA
Washington D.C. (United States of America) | Atlanta
At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
CARE is seeking an experienced Enterprise Data Management (EDM) professional with the vision to lead us in creating a roadmap towards a unified data strategy, as well as to work cross-functionally with internal senior business & IT stakeholders, as well as external partners to plan and execute this strategy.
This is a new role within CARE reporting to the Chief Digital Officer; it offers the successful candidate a broad portfolio of leadership responsibilities and the chance to deliver revolutionary impact, both to an organization with a storied history and ambitious humanitarian goals and the millions of people around the world that we serve.
The Sr. Director for Data will successfully evangelize the value of data-driven decision making throughout the organization while directing development and execution of a Data Strategy Roadmap, inclusive of a scalable architecture and enterprise-wide data taxonomy. S/he will be required to understand business opportunities and challenges in the context of system and data model requirements to recommend solutions.
In this new role, the Sr. Director for Data will recruit and successfully lead an in-house data excellence team ‘hub’ while guiding the business unit in independent efforts to upgrade the capacity of the unit’s data and analytics. S/he will Participate actively in sector/peer EDM network groups to exchange learnings, synthesize knowledge and collaborate; sharing internally to key stakeholders.
- Establish and rollout an enterprise-wide data governance framework, with a focus on improving data quality & security by creating new or upgrading existing organizational policies and standards, governance metrics, processes, related tools and data architecture.
- Design and implement an open data strategy that engages third parties to support CARE’s work and makes CARE USA more transparent to its staff, donors, beneficiaries and other stakeholders.
- Manage selection of hardware, storage, and software products & service providers for Data Development, Data Warehousing and other BI products & services.
- Develop comprehensive internal documentation related to data models/taxonomies, ecosystem maps/schemas, hygiene/update processes, governance protocols, data security & privacy.
- Collaborate with business unit stakeholders in selecting, introducing and integrating new analytics tools & methodologies into the organization.
- Collaborate with business unit stakeholders in producing KPIs and quality metrics while ensuring compliance with data policies, standards, roles & responsibilities, and adoption requirements.
- Develop short & long-term budget/investment plans to execute on Data Strategy Roadmap; ongoing management of allocated budget + ROI updates against plan.
- Define, configure & optimize various EDM processes and stages including data ingestion/acquisition, standardization/enrichment, harmonization and data provisioning.
- Work closely with Digital Infrastructure & Applications teams to develop, implement and manage EDM solutions.
- Provide best-practice guidance to individual business units on data management & BI solutions to ensure grassroots efforts are interoperable within enterprise-wide ecosystem.
- Participate actively in sector/peer EDM network groups to exchange learnings, synthesize knowledge and collaborate – sharing internally to key stakeholders.
5-7 years of experience:
- Implementing and managing organizational enablers for achieving & leveraging EDM_MDM (e.g., data governance structure & processes, user training/adoption);
- Using a broad range of end-user platforms such as O365, Salesforce, NGO Connect, Peoplesoft, Lawson, Blackbaud, PowerBI, Tableau.
- Handling large datasets and repositories
- Developing and managing a broad range of data systems, architecture, and application components & processes across the entire data value chain - including warehousing, ETL, data model development, database admin, security, user interface, reporting & analysis etc.
- Excellent interpersonal & communication skills at all levels, including data/IT professionals, business stakeholders & senior executives
To apply for this position, please visit our website at
- Organization: CARE
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America) | Atlanta
- Grade: Level not specified
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2017-11-30