Health and Nutrition Officer, (NO-B) Temporary Appointment (364 days), Ruweishid, Jordan (Open to Jordanian Nationals Only)
UNICEF Jordan is looking for a suitable candidate for a position of Health and Nutrition Officer, to be based in Ruweishid so as to oversee the implementation of Health and Nutrition projects.
UNICEF works in 190 countries and territories to protect the rights of every child. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children's rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
Purpose for the job:
Since early 2016, UNICEF has been providing Health and Nutrition interventions the Syrian refugees stranded in the no land between Syria and Jordan on the North Eastern Jordanian border with Syria, commonly referred as the Berm and from December 2016 UNICEF in coordination with other UN agencies is supporting a Health Centre in Rukban running. The services delivery are guided by a mutually agreed SOP so as to ensure essential health and nutrition services coverages and minimizing duplication. UNICEF implements this project through an implementing partner. To effectively implement this project UNICEF Jordan is looking for a suitable candidate for a position of Health and Nutrition Officer, to be based in Ruweishid so as to oversee the implementation of this project. The selected candidate will also be responsible to liaise with the Director of Ruweishid hospital in implementing other health and nutrition interventions targeting vulnerable communities in Ruweishid district including the Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative (BFHI).
How can you make a difference?
- Support the monitoring of the performance of the contracted agency (an association which provides health and nutrition service provider at the border) in terms of H&N quality service delivery
- Support the planning for service delivery (e.g. daily, weekly monthly newborn kits, plumpysup distributions) in coordination with contracted agency
- Support the ongoing monitoring of the H&N needs, especially among newborn and child health, nutrition service needs and identify gaps in the provision of services
- Develop a mobilisation system amongst the asylum seekers to collect information on the practices in the NML living area, the priorities, and a means to communicate on upcoming activities
- Support the development of key H&N messages in coordination with other sector officers (WASH/Hygiene) and training of community workers and implement C4D plan
- Perform field visits to UNICEF supported project sites (currently only Rukban) for monitoring project activities and local conditions, and follows up with other Rukban UN clinic stake holders, local authorities counterparts and other partners on project implementation.
- Coordinating with Operations and Supply staff and the members of the Health and Nutrition team based in Amman and the Amman based humanitarian team on supply and non-supply assistance activities, ensures UNICEF and the implementing partners accountability.
- Ensures effective partnership with other UN clinic stakeholders and acceptable working relationships are maintained for technical coordination, information sharing and advocacy for continued and timely beneficiaries access to the service area.
- Continue monitoring the presence and effectiveness of the community health resources available in the camp/No manâ€™s land (e.g. CHVs) and explore better and feasible ways of improving their capacity and working with them to further maximize the reach to the targeted beneficiaries.
- Keeps close contacts with external counterparts, including those of the UN and national partners, in order to improve the ability to collect and disseminate relevant data, exchange information on programme/project development and implementation.
- Assists the implementing partner to ensure that monitoring systems are properly adhered to, and that data collection and analysis from field visits are coordinated and timely shared with Amman health and Nutrition and humanitarian colleagues for project performance monitoring.
- Contribute in the drafting and preparation of programme reports for management, Board, donors, budget reviews, programme analysis, and annual reports, as required.
- Contribute in the development and updating of emergency preparedness and response plans related to Health and Nutrition and ensure updated and are maintained and they complement other sectors plans to ensure efficiency, and during emergencies, ensure that Health and Nutrition part of the plans are effectively implemented in accordance to UNICEF mandate.
- Performs any other duties and responsibilities assigned as appropriate to the purpose of this post, and delivers the results as required.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
Education: University degree in Medicine, Public Health and Nutrition or other relevant disciplines. Additional training in Newborn health, Health Education or Communication for Development (Programme Communication), an asset
Experience: A minimum of two years of relevant professional experience working with the UN, NGO, private sector or national government. Experience in design, implementation and monitoring of emergency Health and Nutrition programmes in displaced/refugee camp situations is highly desired.
Familiarity with Emergency preparedness and response (and the IASC Cluster approach) is an asset.
Languages: Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
Our core values of Commitment, Diversity and Integrity and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.
- Organization: UNICEF - United Nations Children’s Fund
- Location: Amman (Jordan)
- Grade: NO-B, National Professional Officer - Locally recruited position - Junior level
- Public Health and Health Service
- Closing Date: 2017-11-28