Vice President Transformation Lab
Washington D.C. (United States of America)
At the heart of Pact is the promise of a better tomorrow. A nonprofit international development organization founded in 1971, Pact works on the ground in nearly 40 countries to improve the lives of those who are challenged by poverty and marginalization. We serve these communities because we envision a world where everyone owns their future. To do this, we build systemic solutions in partnership with local organizations, businesses, and governments that create sustainable and resilient communities where those we serve are heard, capable, and vibrant.
Pact is a recognized global leader in international development. Our staff have a range of expertise in areas including public health, capacity development, governance and civil society, natural resource management, poverty, fragile states, monitoring and evaluation, small-scale and artisanal mining, microfinance and more. This expertise is combined with Pact’s unique integrated approach, which focuses on systemic changes needed to improve people’s lives.
The Transformation Lab is a new department within Pact, created with the explicit purpose of driving transformational change within the organization and producing transformation results. The Transformation Lab will be comprised of four functions: Integrated Communications, Innovation, a Designed by Pact Center, and a Powered by Pact Center. The Transformation Lab will be responsible for 1) spawning innovation across the global organization, 2) cultivating powerful sources of data using Pact tools and methodologies, 3) catalyzing that data to inform program design, implementation, and evaluation, and 4) communicating information, knowledge, and stories both internally and externally. The Transformation Lab will raise Pact’s profile externally, market Pact’s unique methodologies and approaches, foster synergies within the organization to maximize creativity, collaboration, and impact, and promote our work within and outside the organization. Of note, the Designed by Pact Center will develop a Pact Signature Program that will benefit from expertise acquired in Applied Political Economy Analysis, Human Centered Design, Social Return on Investment, includes value for money, and leverages our integrated approach. The Powered by Pact Center will focus on data analytics as a core proficiency - with country offices as hubs for local knowledge and relationships and an emphasis on systems and capacity to leverage local relationships and data. From this, platforms will be leveraged for translating our local knowledge and relationships into products and services. The Knowledge Management & Learning and Results & Measurement teams will be critical to this effort and thus be part of this Center. Pact has invested in an Innovation team for several years; their work includes Human Centered Design which is gaining appreciation in our sector more broadly and is considered an essential part of Pact’s DNA. Finally, the Integrated Communications team will be part of the Transformation Lab while keeping a role across the organization.
As the Transformation Lab is a new entity, the VP, Transformation Lab will have to develop all the components of a new unit: human, technical, strategic and tactical. While interacting with a broad range of departments, country offices, and subsidiaries, the Transformation Lab will be a core driver of transformation at Pact. The Vice President, Transformation Lab reports to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) and supervises critical functions of the Transformation Lab.
The VP, Transformation Lab will:
- Develop the Transformation Lab strategy in alignment with the new Pact’s strategy and strategic priorities to include vision and goals;
- Lead the Transformation Lab with the aim of making it a design and implementation Center of Excellence;
- Promote Transformation Lab work and methodologies within the organization and with external audiences, including current and prospective funders;
- Foster collaboration and synergy between Transformation Lab units (e.g. Designed by Pact, Powered by Pact, Innovation, and Integrated Communication) so that there is alignment and exponential possibility and to catalyze collaboration and synergy between the Transformation Lab and other units/entities in the global organization for the same purpose;
- Establish partnerships with like-minded, external organizations across the globe;
- Secure funding to advance Designed by Pact, Powered by Pact, and Innovation methodologies within current and future Pact programs;
- Build and lead a robust team through direct hires within the Transformation Lab as well as alignment and matrixed efforts throughout the global organization. This includes recruitment for the two positions to be filled as soon as possible: leadership for the Designed by Pact and Powered by Pact Centers;
- Develop and initiate a work plan in coordination with other units and departments.
Serve as trusted leader, help move Pact from a transactional to a transformational organization;
Not be afraid of uncertainty, makes the difficult decisions required by Pact new strategy;
Develop in the Transformation Lab an appetite risks and a profound desire for change in the way we do development;
Be a role model in adaptiveness and resilience;
Act as a partner in advancing Pact’s mission and serve as a standard bearer of organizational philosophies and competencies;
Represent Pact to a wide range of private and public actors, acting as an advocate for Pact;
Inspire, champion and spread a culture of shared success that makes true our belief that every imaginable problem has a solution;
Strengthen the Pact brand through application of brand identity and contributing to efforts to communicate Pact’s values, approaches, and global impact.**Other Responsibilities**
Perform other duties as assigned.
BA and at least 20 years of relevant experience (or equivalent)
Advanced degree in a relevant field;
Demonstrated experience and success in designing new concepts and moving them to implementation;
Proven track record of success in managing diverse teams in a changing environment;
Hunger for change;
Creative and able to take calculated risks;
Ability to develop and establish partnerships with teams and institutions;
Ability to identify, attract and retain talents required by the Lab;
Demonstrated capability in strategic visioning, planning and agency representation;
Experience working with a variety of international donor organizations;
Fluency in English and proficiency in at least one other regionally relevant language;
Ability and willingness to travel internationally, up to 25%.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.
- Organization: Pact World
- Location: Washington D.C. (United States of America)
- Grade: Senior - Internationally recruited position - Senior level
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2017-12-31