Support (Administrative / Logistician) coordinator – Port-Vila – VANUATU – H/F
Port-Vila | Port-Vila
Context of the position
Vanuatu is a Melanesian archipelago located in the South Pacific between the Solomon Islands and New Caledonia. Vanuatu’s population is about 250 000 inhabitants. There are 83 islands in Vanuatu (including 5 volcanos currently in activity). Its location on the Pacific “ring of fire” gives it exposure to frequent seismological hazards such as volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and tsunamis. It is also located in the tropical cyclone belt and is frequently hit by cyclones with extreme winds and rainfall events causing extensive damage to human settlements and crops. According to the UN University World Risk Report (2012) Vanuatu has the highest disaster risk index of any country in the world. The risk breakdown shows that this result is obtained especially because of a combination of Vanuatu’s high exposure and extreme vulnerability.
Humanitarian issues faced by the population :
• Isolated population, vulnerable to natural hazards and climate change
People living on the islands of the South Pacific are particularly vulnerable to natural disasters. The geographical dispersion of the islands, the lack of information on natural hazards (non-existent or unreliable warning systems), the lack of access to basic disaster response materials, and the difficulties in logistical supply are the major problems in this context.
FRC activities today
FRC delegation is based in Port-Vila, capital city of Vanuatu, on Efate Island. As of today, FRC delegation in Vanuatu is composed of a head of delegation, an assistant head of delegation, a support services coordinator, a head of base, a head of project (HOP), two WASH delegates, a shelter delegate, and a DRR delegate.
2 projects are currently underway which are coherent with FRC programmatic strategy in Vanuatu:
- a project on disaster impact mitigation (SCP3 – Supporting Community Planning) focusing on WASH, DRR and hygiene promotion, with a minor Shelter component in Malampa and Torba Provinces
- a recovery project focusing on WASH, shelter, DRR & hygiene promotion on Tanna Island
As support services coordinator you would join the logistics/admin/HR/finance team of FRC delegation in Vanuatu and be in charge of coordinating delegation’s support services for the benefits of the projects mentioned above.
In line with and applying the principles of RC / RC Movement (humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity and universality), the support services coordinator’s objective is to ensure the delegation’s administrative, financial, HR and logistics management with regards to FRC and VRCS’ rules and procedures.
Requirements related to the job:
- having a coordination role by ensuring all support functions in order for projects and the mission a whole to progress in the most efficient way
- developing VRCS team members’ knowledge and skills in the position’s related fields
General objective for the applicant:
To develop his/her knowledge and skills in humanitarian delegation’s administrative, financial, HR and logistics coordination and management.
The Support Services Coordinator will be in charge of the following:
To coordinate logistical activities on the mission to support the projects in collaboration with heads of project and the head office
To be responsible for the management of the logistics team members
To be responsible for the management of all FRC material, equipment and belongings
To improve and develop administrative procedures for delegation’s management, and to comply with FRC and donors’ procedures
To ensure the accounting and financial management of the delegation, in collaboration with HQ in Paris
To be responsible of budget management in the frame of donors’ funding, in relation with HOD and HOPs
4) Human Resources
To contribute to the management of national and expatriate human resources and to the management of his/her team
5) Capacity building
To participate to the capacity building of the National Society
6) Internal and external reporting
The delegate’s line manager will be the head of delegation.
The support services coordinator is the direct line manager of 4 team members:
· admin/HR assistant
· finance and accounting assistant
· supply logistic & technical advisor (who is the direct line manager of 1 logistics assistant and 1 driver)
He/she will work in close collaboration with:
· VRCS finance head of finance department on all financial aspects regarding the host national society
· HQ logistics officer on all logistics aspects: logistics and procurement procedures, HQ validation, etc.
· HQ financial controller: budget follow-ups, financial visibility, etc.
· HQ accounting officer: accounting procedures, accounting documents to send to HQ, etc.
Profile of the candidate
- Degree in administration, business, management, logistics or procurement
a similar experience in financial and administrative management or logistics in a delegation in an international organization
a previous experience in the field with a similar position with projects abroad especially in the Asia / Pacific zone appreciated
a previous experience in the French Red Cross / International Relations and Operations Department is appreciated
- rigor, integrity and confidentiality
- great sense of diplomacy and patience
- adaptability and flexibility
- to a team worker for all and capacity builder for national staff members
- to be able to work independently
- to be able to manage local staff team
- to have a good sense of human relations and team spirit
to have a good sense of responsibilities
knowledge and / or experience of program donors (ECHO, USAID) strongly desired
good knowledge of Office package (Word, Excel, PPT, Internet, etc.)
good knowledge of SAGA software
experience in team management
knowledge of the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement is appreciated
Working proficiency in both French and English is required.
Development of skills expected during the mission:
- knowledge of the context and understanding of humanitarian issues in the Pacific zone and in Vanuatu in particular
- understanding of relations and interactions between the various stakeholders working in Vanuatu
- ability to coordinate admin / fin / HR / log support services in the frame of a humanitarian mission
- knowledge in terms of operational, logistics and administrative project management
- Location :
Port-Vila – VANUATU
- Duration: 6 months renewable
- To be filled: March 2018
- Status: expatriate position
The French Red Cross reserves the right to fill the position before the closing date for applications
- Passport valid for more than 6 months at the moment of departure
- Up-to-date vaccination card / fitness for travel
To be better acquainted with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, we invite you to follow two training sessions online, free and accessible to all that constitute a real advantage for your application:
WORC (The World of Red Cross and Red Crescent) is an e-learning course on the fundamental principles and operations of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. Its 12 modules address subjects such as the origin and history of the Movement, its fundamental principles, its emblem, the International Federation, the ICRC and national societies. It is intended for all: volunteers, employees, members or people wishing to get more information on the biggest humanitarian movement in the world.
Stay Safe is intended for every staff in a position to carry out international missions on behalf of the Federation or a National Society of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The course aims at developing a common culture of security management within the Movement in order to enable a better understanding of the main threats and risks for humanitarian actors in the field, and offers solutions to restrain their impact.
You will find these lessons on the IFRC Learning Platform open to all by clicking on the following link: https://ifrc.csod.com/client/ifrc/default.aspx
- Organization: Red Cross - France
- Location: Port-Vila | Port-Vila
- Grade: Mid level
- Operations and Administrations
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-01-15