Strategic Analyst and Partnerships Intern (KOICA)
Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peace building, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information – Cambodia
UNOPS established its Cambodia Office (KHOH) in early 2013 which oversees a diverse set of projects/programs that includes a multi-donor funded project to support the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia (ECCC) known as the Khmer Rouge Tribunal, the Malaria Programs funded by the Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria (GFATM), the Regional Artemisinin Initiative (RAI), advisory services to the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Governance related projects funded by the EU as well as nutrition related initiatives.
UNOPS KHOH is also overseeing business activities and providing support and services to UNOPS operations in other countries, especially within the Mekong Region and the Philippines.
UNOPS KHOH is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio comprised of projects and programs in the infrastructure, governance, procurement, justice and agricultural sector and subsequently is looking for qualified and committed experts.
The Strategic Analyst and Partnerships Intern (KOICA) will support the functions of portfolio strengthening, communications and project support, especially when it comes to KOICA or other Korean-based partners.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Management and Business Development Specialist, the incumbent is responsible for the following duties.
1. Portfolio development and strengthening
- Support the Project Management and Business Development Specialist with ongoing monitoring and mapping of high opportunity projects with KOICA in the countries covered by KHOH (Cambodia, Lao PDR, the Philippines and Viet Nam).
- Proactively engage with KOICA officers to support KHOH Project Management and Business Development Specialist with improved project proposals and project design in KHOH countries.
- Independently develop analytical reports of KOICA and other Korean-based relevant partners such as Korea Trade-Investment Promotion Agency (KOTRA) in KHOH countries to facilitate planning of business development activities.
- Provide proactive feedback and advice to the Project Management and Business Development Specialist and KHOH management on areas of possible expansion of KHOH portfolio.
- Develop and update of KOICA contacts list in KHOH countries, in coordination with the rest of KHOH offices, and with UNOPS Regional Office for Asia.
2. Internal and external communications
- Proactively identify events where KHOH can engage with KOICA and other Korean-based partners in KHOH countries, and escalate information for adequate planning.
- Prepare external communication materials such as presentations and briefings to facilitate direct engagement with these partners.
- Support ongoing efforts to highlight and document stories and content from KOICA projects in order to document best practice, and enhance connections and communications.
- Translation of documents and communication such as emails relevant to KHOH engagement with Korean-based partners from Korean to English, and vice versa.
- Increased profile for KHOH through support for communications and events, including UNOPS newsletter and AR blog.
3. Knowledge Management and Project support
- Support maintenance of logs and files to keep the Project Management Office documentation up to date.
- Proactive collaboration and support to the Project Management and Business Development Specialist in all processes involved in project support, as requested.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- High School diploma is required;
- The incumbent being in course of obtaining a university degree or in Business Administration, International Relations or a related field would be an asset. Applicants who have graduated from such studies within the recent three years will also be considered eligible for the position.
- Business development
- Partner Engagement
- Project Management Support
- International Development Sector experience
- Strong Time Management Ability
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Goals oriented and driven,
- Organizational Ability and Quality Orientation
- Teamwork Skills
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development
- Any prior work experience is not required; however, previous working experience in the field of International Development related to a Korean-based organization is desirable.
- Strong computer literacy and command of MS Office package is required.
- Knowledge of the KHOH countries (Cambodia, Lao PDR, Viet Nam and the Philippines) is considered an asset.
- Fluent in oral and written Korean is required.
- Fluent level in written and oral English required.
Contract type, level and duration
Six (6) months with possible extension.
This internship is not designed to lead to a staff/ICA position with UNOPS. Therefore, there should be no expectation of employment at the end of the internship.
Interns may be eligible for a monthly stipend (10% to 15% of the reduced DSA) + travel allowance as per UNOPS internship policy provided that they do not receive funds from other institutions. However, they must make their own arrangements for accommodation, travel, insurance coverage and any necessary visas.
For more details about UNOPS internships please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time (CET)
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Phnom Penh (Cambodia)
- Grade: Internship
- Project and Programme Management
- External Relations, Partnerships and Resource mobilization
- Closing Date: 2019-01-11