Director Humanitarian Response
Tigard | Washington D.C.
Job Summary: The Director of the Humanitarian Response Team (HRT) leads all humanitarian response activities. This role supports the mission of the organization by leading, managing and growing Medical Teams International’s Humanitarian Response work globally; representing Medical Teams International to key stakeholders; and overseeing the development and implementation of the Humanitarian Response Plan and the Crisis Management Plan. Reporting to the VP – Field Operations (VPFO), the HRT Director may also act on behalf of the VPFO as directed.
MTI Calling: Daring to love like Jesus,
we boldly break barriers to health and restore wholeness in a hurting world.
Humanitarian Response Team Leadership
- Create and implement the Humanitarian Response Team vision in accordance with the organization’s strategic plan.
- In collaboration with the Field Operations Department Directors and staff, work toward the implementation of MTI’s current strategic plan and the accomplishment of the related strategic goals, objectives and actions.
Program Management and Leadership
- Lead and provide oversight to MTI’s response to humanitarian emergencies.
- Carry out disaster early warning monitoring.
- Ensure effective set-up of HRT field operations, staffing and systems, including logistics, local hiring, budgets, reporting, etc. according to agreed structures.
- Develop annual operating budgets and work plans and ensures effective budget monitoring, reporting, and financial management.
- Ensure monitoring, evaluation, and learning occurs with regard to planned and implemented humanitarian programs.
- Ensure project proposals and reports are submitted on time and meet standards required by Headquarters and external donors.
- Ensure all program goals, activities, and personnel demonstrate commitment to national and international humanitarian frameworks and standards such as the Core Humanitarian Standard and Sphere minimum standards.
- Serve as liaison to the Marketing and Development Department – approve/review all outgoing humanitarian media communications.
- Assess, develop, and maintain partnership relations in existing and/or potential humanitarian program locations.
- Negotiate and create Memorandums of Understandings (MOUs) and budgets with humanitarian partners.
- Pro-actively, regularly, and consistently represent Medical Teams International to external bodies and humanitarian actors including UN agencies and NGOs, faith-based and partner organizations, media, and other relevant parties.
- Identify and participate in forums and meetings for the humanitarian community where there may be a strategic benefit to MTI, such as the Integral Alliance and the Global Health Cluster.
- Maintain an ongoing awareness of the humanitarian operating environment and identify particular needs in the health sector that fit with our core competencies.
- Proactively facilitate the growth of Medical Teams International humanitarian programs; maintaining strong links with donors, volunteers, churches and other organizations in support of the work and calling of MTI; identifying funding opportunities; and leading the development of institutionally funded program proposals, as well as overseeing the financial and program reporting to donors.
- Take the lead on the design of potential humanitarian program interventions on behalf of Medical Teams International.
- Model and maintain a work environment that supports MTI’s core values: Courageous, Tenacious, Accountable and Selfless.
- Actively promote a team climate that values accountability, 360-degree feedback, and transparency.
- Ensure that team members are effective, efficient, and diligent in meeting program goals.
- Create a culture of shared learning and professional development within the team.
- Ensure the use of effective human resource management practices throughout team including the recruitment, selection, onboarding, supervision, performance management, compensation, career pathing, and professional development of team members.
- Mentor and support the professional development of direct reports.
- Develop and oversee a roster of staff, volunteers, and consultants to enable effective surge.
- May act on behalf of VP Field Operations as required (e.g., during periods of travel and annual leave).
- Utilize volunteers whenever possible.
- Ensure close coordination and communication with the Medical Health Product team to plan and mobilize Gift In Kind (GIK) medical support in emergency responses.
- Create and manage the HRT cost center and budgets for each individual emergency response.
Safety and Security
- Lead the organization’s Crisis Management Team, which includes representatives from Human Resources, Marketing and Development, Finance, the Executive Office and others as needed.
- Ensure the Global Personnel Safety and Security Policy is regularly reviewed and refreshed. Ensure implementation of effective safety and security management policies and practices in accordance with Global Personnel Safety and Security Policy; including robust information collection practices and systematic testing of safety and security plans.
- Champion the importance of safety and security in all country programs as well as with partners, and mainstreams safety and security considerations throughout all MTI activities.
- Assess security threats and vulnerabilities and analyze security risks for all MTI staff and volunteers. Is responsible for developing specific recommendations and putting in place agreed measures to mitigate risks in collaboration with the nominated Security Officer.
- Oversee the development and implementation of Hostile Environment Awareness Training and Humanitarian Principles (HEAT+) training for all MTI personnel deploying to insecure locations.
Compliance and Technical Quality
- Ensure Medical Teams International is compliant with host-government laws and policies, as well as with Medical Teams International’s internal policies and procedures.
- Coordinate closely with the Program Resource Group to ensure recruitment and deployment of technical expertise, and to ensure quality program design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation in all HRT programs.
- Develop and support the achievement of international standards in humanitarian health programs. e.g., certification and verification process to become a World Health Organization-Emergency Medical Team organization.
- Stay current on best practices and standards in Humanitarian Relief and Global Security.
- Assist in the development and training of program staff and partners on HRT best practices and principles in humanitarian response, security procedures, and needs assessments.
- Prepare and conduct team orientations and debriefings in collaboration with the HRT staff.
- Additional duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, LICENSES, & CERTIFICATIONS
- Master’s degree in a field relevant to international humanitarian and development work or field experience. For example, Country Director roles in at least 2 relevant locations (humanitarian context).
- Minimum 8 years’ program leadership experience in International relief programming.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience working overseas in humanitarian field operations roles.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Commitment to Medical Teams International Calling.
- Demonstrated track record of organizational strengthening and programmatic growth in accordance with humanitarian needs.
- Proven ability to produce successful institutional proposals and develop strategic donor relationships.
- Strong working knowledge of health-sector issues in developing countries, international relief and recovery issues, and the social and development role of faith groups.
- Excellent financial management skills, including ability to prepare, monitor, and control budgets, reports, project proposals, and partnership agreement documents.
- Skilled at building and maintaining a high functioning, high performing work team.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills in strategic planning, achieving results, coordinating and supporting a diverse team, mentoring, and staff development.
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills, ability to work independently and in teams, positive attitude, resourceful, innovative, and flexible.
- Demonstrated ability to lead virtually.
- Demonstrated ability to mentor and develop leaders.
- Experience in creating an environment of accountability.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and garner support throughout all departments within the organization.
- Strong communication skills including written, oral, and group facilitation; ability to successfully communicate cross-culturally with international partners and diverse constituencies.
- Demonstrated track record of overcoming significant obstacles and implementing creative solutions.
- Ability to enhance overall brand awareness.
- Excellent English-language skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Ability and willingness to travel on short notice, for extended periods of time, for up to 16 weeks per year to any global location for the purpose of monitoring current country programs, responding to new emergencies, providing surge capacity, and/or lending expertise and support.
Standard Office Software
- Moderately skilled with Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
- Moderately skilled on the Internet and with Microsoft Outlook 2007.
- Moderately skilled with Raisers Edge.
- Moderately skilled with CRM or other database programs.
- Competence in a second language, such as Spanish, French or Arabic
To learn more about this position and to apply please visit our website at www.medicalteams.org
- Organization: MTI - Medical Teams International
- Location: Tigard | Washington D.C.
- Grade: Level not specified
- Disaster Management (Preparedness, Resilience, Response and Recovery)
- Project and Programme Management
- Humanitarian Aid and Coordination
- Emergency Aid and Response
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-03-30