Software Delivery Manager
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROGRAMME
The department of Information Management and Technology (IMT) has an operational and strategic role. On the one hand, the department provides relevant, quality, reliable, and cost effective IT services in order for the Organization to achieve its health mandate. It aims to be a strategic enabler for WHO by creating partnerships with business units (administrative and health technical), capturing business needs, establishing and managing projects to address these requirements. The work of the department is categorized under the WHO's programme of Corporate services and enabling functions (Category 6) with specific focus on Effective management and administration established across the organization (6.4).
Global IT Operations (GIO) team provides user and system support with staff based in Kuala Lumpur. The team is composed of 4 sub-teams; Global Service Desk, Application Development, Corporate Management Systems and Infrastructure and Shared Services. These teams empower and assist WHO staff globally to perform their functions effectively and efficiently. They also provide application development and support for technical and administrative units. Finally they monitor the infrastructure to ensure the systems are always available and initiate remedial actions in case of service failures.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
- Lead the software engineering team, provide managerial and technical leadership, guidance and provide mentoring in software engineering service delivery to the team.
- Promote the software development processes and standards.
- Provide expertise contributing the design phase of system developments, perform cost-benefit analysis or any other required research aimed at finding the best delivery option for system development.
- Evaluate, monitor or ensure compliance with global standards and procedures.
- Evaluate, monitor and ensure the team members are performing functions of developer and application management as appropriate.
- Contribute to planning and designing of project schedule.
- Perform other duties as requested by the supervisor.
Essential\: A first university degree in computer science or related field.
Desirable\: A Microsoft certification of MCP or MCTS ITIL certification PRINCE2 or another Project Management certification.
For WHO staff please see e-Manual III.4.1, para 220.
- At least 5 years experience in software development or IT team management or Application management or Project Management in Application Development.
- Practical experience in IT service delivery and IT service level management, IT project management and delivery.
- Practical experience in system analysis and design, user requirements, application development lifecycle.
- Experience in Database Management Systems and SQL Programming Tools particularly MS SQL Server, TransactSQL, MS DTS, PL/SQL, MS Access.
- Experience in OLAP tools and reports development using MS Reporting Services.
- Experience in end user support and customer relationship management. Experience in managing outsourced service providers in software development.
- Excellent knowledge of the software development principles, approaches, methods, techniques and best practices for the software application design, implementation and maintenance.
- Familiar with the best practices and ability to apply them in practice of the software development methods, methodologies and frameworks, application/product management, system and application planning, system administration, customer relationship management.
- Ability to influence, motivate people and adapt leadership style to variety of situation.
- Ability to express information to individuals and/or groups effectively and make clear and convincing presentations.
- Commitment to quality and good customer orientation, good interpersonal skills, a willingness to help others.
- Excellent team management skills.
- Excellent communication skills in a Customer Service Environment
- Knowledge of client/server and WEB development tools, in particular\: .NET framework, Visual Studio, and TransactSQL
2. Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
4. Creating an empowering and motivating environment
5. Producing results
Use of Language Skills
Essential\: Expert knowledge of English.
Remuneration comprises an annual base salary starting at MYR 127,737 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and 30 days of annual leave.
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level including those of a temporary nature.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link\: http\://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit\: http\://www.who.int.
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- This is a National Professional Officer position. Therefore, only applications from nationals of the country where the duty station is located will be accepted. Applicants who are not nationals of this country will not be considered.