Background Information - Job-specific
*** THIS IS A LOCAL POSITION FOR WHICH ONLY APPLICANTS WHO POSSESS THE ITALIAN NATIONALITY OR A VALID RESIDENCE AND WORK PERMIT IN ITALY ARE ELIGIBLE FOR CONSIDERATION ***
The United Nations Department of Field Support, Information and Communications Technology Division (UN DFSICTD) is responsible for the delivery of applications that satisfy the requirements of the Departments of Peacekeeping Operations and Field Support (DPKO/DFS) missions as well as Special Political Missions (SPMs).
DFS has implemented a range of systems to address the principal requirements of peacekeeping operations and to support and enhance the processes DFS undertakes.UNOPS has been requested to assist in the implementation of this activity.
- Perform tasks related to storage provisioning and host integration;
- Execute authorized periodic and corrective system maintenance tasks and maintain system health check records;
- Interact with network and systems administrators to proactively facilitate integration of hosts and storage array systems;
- Perform performance tuning based on best practices defined for each system and conduct periodic performance benchmark tests;
- Remain current with storage system technologies and systems to facilitate induction of new systems as and when required;
- Implement storage system incident and problem management in conjunction with the service desk and actively take part in configuration and change management activities;
- Perform root cause analysis for problem resolution and implement necessary changes as required and authorized;
- Troubleshoot storage arrays in the event of system failures to recover operational capabilities as quickly as possible;
- Actively involve with third parties engaged in storage infrastructure projects to ensure acceptable quality of service delivery and prevent information security incidents;
- Assist in preparing technical specifications for field storage infrastructure;
- Ensure information security policies are enforced;
- Periodically (at least once every month) collect system logs and analyze them to evaluate system health, performance and potential factors that could affect data safety and data centre operation;
- Assist the backup administrator with all aspects related to backup to disk infrastructure;
- Perform tasks related to hybrid cloud brokerage;
- Performs other related duties as required.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Completion of secondary school education or equivalent technical school. This experience should result in the ability to understand complex technical system requirements and communicate them clearly in a verbal or written format. Candidates with Technical/Professional diploma may be considered with a reduced experience requirement.
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in providing engineering support for IT systems is required, preferably in large data centres with experience in: Operating systems Windows, Linux. Enterprise storage infrastructure experience (DellEMC, HPE Storage and layered software that support high availability, data safety and storage manipulations (Recover Point, Snap view, SRDF, SAN Copy etc.); Backup and recovery solutions based on DellEMC Networker, DellEMC AVAMAR and Veritas NetBackup.
- Possession of ITIL foundations certificate is mandatory.
- Exposure in Information Security Management System (ISMS: ISO 27001), or other industry standard related best practices.
- Ability to grasp complex concepts, logical and analytical approach to solving problems.
- Ability to work under pressure and with minimum supervision.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team of diverse skills.
- Good communication and presentation skills including experience in drafting technical documents.
- Brokering and administering enterprise scale hybrid cloud (Azure and/or AWS)
- AWS or Azure cloud related certifications are desirable.
- NAS Operation and management, Specifically: DelllEMC ISILON, DellEMC Unified Storage Arrays, and HPE NAS Storage solutions.
- ITIL intermediate level is an advantage.
- Data replication architecture and products; Enterprise data backup and recovery operations.
- Understanding of Project Management framework based on PRINCE2 including some exposure in delivering activity based initiatives.
- Excellent knowledge of English (both written and verbal) is required. Knowledge of other UN language is desirable.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract level: G5
Contract duration: 1 Year (renewable subject to funds availability and satisfactory performance)
For more details about United Nations staff contracts, please follow this link: https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/UN-Staff-Contracts.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS provides its partners with advisory, implementation and transactional services, with projects ranging from building schools and hospitals, to procuring goods and services and training local personnel. UNOPS works closely with governments and communities to ensure increased economic, social and environmental sustainability for the projects we support, with a focus on developing national capacity.
UNOPS vision is a world where people can live full lives supported by appropriate, sustainable and resilient infrastructure, and by the efficient and transparent use of public resources in procurement and project management.
With over 8,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, where they need it. By implementing around 1,000 projects for our partners at any given time, UNOPS makes significant contributions to results on the ground, often in the most challenging environments.
Background information- ECR
Based in Geneva, the Europe and Central Asia Regional Office (ECR) supports UNOPS offices throughout the region through: management, financial and programmatic oversight of global and country-specific portfolios, clusters and operations centres, including hosting services; fund and management advisory services; project implementation; procuring goods and services; and managing human resources.
ECR ensures that projects are executed to the highest standards, providing a shared knowledge base and ensuring that best practices and lessons learned are disseminated between business units and projects across the entire region.
ECR strategy is to:
- Strengthen UNOPS role in operationalizing the Sustainable Development Goals with particular emphasis on health, environment and economic development.
- Position UNOPS in the Balkan sub-region, the Caucasus and Central Asia.
- Strengthen the implementation of ECR global and regional programmes, with revitalized partnerships in infrastructure, procurement and project management.
ECR operates global portfolios from offices in Geneva, Brussels and New York, and country-specific programmes from its operations and project centres located in Eastern Europe and Central Asian countries.
Background Information - Development Group Cluster
Based in the New York, the UNOPS Development Group Cluster supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations. For example, within the United Nations Development Programme, the Cluster works with the Bureau for Policy and Programme Support and the Office of South-South Cooperation.
The cluster also supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations in the delivery of project management and implementation services