Communications Analyst (Turkish Nationals Only)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women in Turkey is working to strengthen refugee women and girls and their access to opportunities, rights and services, as required by international treaties and national legislation. “Strengthening the Resilience of Syrian Women and Girls and Host Communities in Iraq, Jordan and Turkey” (referred to as Refugee and Response Programme (RRP) is an integrated programme that targets both displaced Syrian women and girls and host-country nationals across Iraq, Jordan and Turkey. The programme works through a multi-dimensional strategy that will: i) enable women’s empowerment through addressing issues of economic vulnerability and violence by increased access to recovery and livelihood opportunities, paired with comprehensive protection services and support to national justice structures to promote accountability for violence against women, and ii) promote a culture of peace and co-existence through supporting women to lead and engage in peacebuilding, reconciliation and conflict prevention. Bearing in mind the importance of involving men in work on gender equality and women’s empowerment, the programme will engage men as partners, champions and advocates for women’s increased empowerment, including their engagement in the labour market.
Initially reporting to the ECA Regional Office Programme Specialist (or delegated manager) and in close coordination with Programme Management Specialist, the Communications Analyst is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of the RRP’s communications and advocacy strategies to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public. The Communications Analyst promotes a client-oriented approach in UN Women.
The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and technical teams in the Turkey Programme Presence, HQ/Regional communications teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide substantive support to the planning and design of external communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans of the RRP
- Provide analysis for elaboration of communication strategies; ensure gender perspective;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives, as necessary;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and provide analysis to the RRP team, RO/HQ, as relevant;
- Provide inputs and support to various communication campaigns and events.
2. Coordinate and contribute substantively to the development and dissemination of advocacy materials related to the RRP
- Draft briefing materials, and press releases and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
- Identify storylines for publication and articles;
- Promote and disseminate advocacy materials, publications, and campaigns;
- Coordinate the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO.
3. Coordinate media relations for the RRP
- Coordinate the establishment of relevant relationships with communication and media outlets, key partners of the RRP;
- Maintain list of relevant media in country;
- Respond to inquiries for public and UN system information materials;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences and briefing session for press, as required;
- Draft talking points.
4. Establish and maintain social media outreach in Turkey:
- Establish UN Women Turkey social media accounts to support and implement project communication and outreach;
- Write, edit and manage social media content to engage audiences on the platforms;
- Mobilize partners, women’s groups, influencers, opinion leaders and other key stakeholders on social media to enhance visibility and outreach;
- Liaise with UN Women HQ and Europe and Central Asia Regional Office to make sure social media plans are in sync and supportive of global campaigns.
5. Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors
- Maintain relationships with partners and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, UN and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors, as delegated.
6. Contribute to the RO website on issues related to the RRP
- Provide inputs and content to the RO website on issues related to the RRP;
- Coordinate the RRP’s social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, resources related to the RRP.
7. Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to the RRP’s goals and activities;
- Organize and conduct training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
- Timely updating of website and social media
- Timely dissemination of materials related to the RRP in Turkey
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Knowledge of web-based management systems
- Knowledge of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Knowledge of local country media landscape
- Communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
- Knowledge of gender, human rights and/or refugee response issues desirable
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required.
- At least 1 year of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy;
- Experience in the use of social media;
- Experience in coordinating Media relations;
- Experience in development of advocacy materials;
- Experience in developing/managing donor relations considered an asset; and
- Experience in knowledge building considered an asset.
- Fluency in English and Turkish is required;
- Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.