Mental health and psycho social services coordinator (M/F)
Cox's Bazaar | Dhaka (Bangladesh)
For more than 30 years, Médecins du Monde, a campaigning medical organisation committed to international solidarity, has been caring for the most vulnerable populations at home and abroad. It has continued to highlight obstacles that exist in accessing health care and has secured sustainable improvements in health-for-all policies.
Those working for this independent organisation do not solely dispense care and treatment but condemn violations of human dignity and rights and fight to improve matters for populations living in precarious situations.
MdM currently works in more than 45 countries across all continents where it focuses on 5 priority areas: emergency and crisis, sexual and reproductive health, harm reduction, migrants and displaced populations (health rights), health and environment.
From 25th August 2017, a massive wave of population fleeing violence in the Rakhine state in Myanmar crossed the border to find refuge in Cox’s Bazar district in Bangladesh. This unprecedented situation (more than 500 000 new comers arrived in a very fragile area) creates an emergency situation that is very worrying for many stakeholders.
MdM opened a mission in Bangladesh in February 2017. Operations are run through 2 partnerships with local institutions, namely “Gonoshasthaya Kendra” (GK) a local non-governmental organization (NGO) specialized into primary health care and community health care, and the “Bangladesh National Women Lawyers’ Association”, a lawyer’s association based in Dhaka that aims “to create equal opportunities and equal rights for every woman and child in the country “BNWLA”. For these two partners, MdM focus its intervention today on capacity building activities on medical and psychological care for Gender Based Violence (GBV) victims, in several regions of the Country.
After 9 months of emergency activities in Cox’s bazar, MdM is now entering a new phase. From July 2018 and onwards, MdM aims at strengthening its response at qualitative level and to become a recognized actor on Gender Based Violence (GBV) and Mental Health and PsychoSocial Support (MHPSS) through technical support to all non-governmental organizations (national and international) implementing healthcare services in refugee camps for both host communities and rohingya population. These capacity building and support activities (specific training, disseminating guidance and good practices, supervisions focusing on GBV and MHPSS components) will be offered through dedicated GBV and MHPSS clusters and in coordination with UNFPA and WHO.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under the responsibility of the field coordinator, you are responsible for defining MdM training strategy regarding MHPSS in line with MdM’s overall framework for the response to MHPSS in crises settings.
You will work in close collaboration with the medical and MHPSS referents in HQ, the general coordinator, the field coordinator, the gender based violence (GBV) coordinator in the field.
You will be in charge of:
- Interacting with the humanitarian community (NGO, UN) on all topics related to MHPSS activities.
- Interacting with all actors working on MHPSS field (UN, NGO, others).
- Developing and adjusting specific trainings to meet the identified needs within the relevant sectors.
- Proposing, adapting and implementing training programs on MHPSS activities on Cox’s bazar context
More specifically, your responsibilities are to:
Organization, coordination and supervision of MHPSS activities
- Assess the context and the needs in MHPSS (Rohingya refugees, host community)
- Carry out and update a mapping of all actors responding to MHPSS
- Identify the training needs in collaboration within the MHPSS Working Group
- Identify NGOs / UN / other actors interested by medium and high level trainings on MHPSS
- Participate / lead in coordination with other actors to promote and provide training on proper / safe care and referral for MHPSS patients. (UN,MHPSS Working Group)
- Design and develop MHPSS policy and training documents, based on global best practice and analysis of the local law
- Develop a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation framework for partners on MHPSS programs.
- Implement training program on MHPSS patients care and referrals, monitoring, evaluating, and reporting.
- Lead the training program in Cox’s bazar
Capacity Building / Training
- Identify the capacity building needs of INGO and NNGO partner’s teams related to MHPSS and organize the relevant trainings.
- Organize trainings on the response to MHPSS, in line with MdM training materials available and MHPSS sector
- Collaborate with the relevant Working Groups to set up trainings and follow-up of the activities and the quality of MHPSS patients care.
- Identify, recruit, train (if necessary) and coach the Bangladeshi MHPSS trainer
Reporting, information management, coordination / representation
- Increase and enhance program monitoring and evaluation, and determining impact, wherever possible, including the use of standard indicators
- Participate in the MHPSS sectors meetings and actively contribute to coordination efforts
- If needed, participate in meetings with the State Ministry of Health or other stakeholders involved in MHPSS
- Contribute to the preparation of new proposals or reports to donors
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Status : Employee Contract : Fixed-term contract
Duration : 6 months
Starting date: as soon as possible
2820 euros gross monthly salary on 13 months
Expatriation bonus (10% gross salary per month)
Transportation cost, vaccines and visas covered
22.5 RTT (recovery days) per year
5 weeks of paid leaves per year.
Health insurance (60% covered by MdM and 40% by the employee)
Punctual teleworking agreement
Médecins du Monde promotes trainings and internal mobility
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE NEEDED:
Clinical Psychologist mandatory
Demonstrated 2-3 years professional experience in humanitarian settings.
Experience with MHPSS programming and implementation is required.
Excellent knowledge & experience in training implementation (peer to peer and collective session).
Proven pedagogical and psychological technical expertise
Experience of work in inter-cultural context
Experience of work in emergency context
Knowledge of public health issues
Training and supervision experience required
Fluent in English written and spoken, French is a plus
Strong skills in Microsoft Office.
You are committed to MdM’s values as an organisation and motivated by its non-statutory, NFP model.
TELEPHONE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
Médecins du Monde reserves the right to fill the vacancy before the closing date for applications.
MdM stands up for the integration of people living with disabilities and fights against discrimination.
Please apply via :
- Organization: MDM - Médecins du Monde
- Location: Cox's Bazaar | Dhaka (Bangladesh)
- Grade: Mid level
- Social Affairs
- Public Health and Health Service
- Managerial positions
- Project and Programme Management
- Closing Date: 2018-08-31