Country Representative, Mali
Bangui (Central African Republic) | Male
Job title PSI Mali Country Representative (CR)
Department West and Central Africa
Based in Bamako, Mali Reports to the WCA Regional Director Who we are** We're Population Services International (PSI), the world's leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI'ers” around the world. It's a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds - from the medical industry to the music business - all with unique skills we bring to the job. Join us! With support from the Government of Mali and international donors such as Global Fund, USAID, UNICEF, OMVS and private foundations, PSI has worked in Mali since 2001. We have implemented social marketing and behavior change communications to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across a range of health areas including HIV/AIDS, malaria and family planning. PSI is currently the national principal recipient for the €54 million Global Fund Malaria grant; leads a portfolio of over $10 million in national family planning projects funded by USAID, the Dutch Embassy, and a private foundation; and is a sub-recipient for a USAID-funded supply chain project for distribution of long-lasting impregnated mosquito nets. A particularly innovative program of financially self-sufficient latrine slab sales is funded by UNICEF. PSI/Mali is poised for significant growth in 2019, with new funding anticipated from USAID/PMI for malaria, UNICEF for WASH Marketing, and both follow on and new funding from a variety of donors for family planning. The program is among PSI's top DALY performers and has an annual budget of over $20 million.
We are looking for **a Country Representative (CR) based in Bamako, Mali** to lead implementation of PSI's awards in collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MOH) and our social franchise network of private sector health clinics (ProFam). The CR should have significant management and international experience with Global Fund and other donors, an interest in private sector approaches to development, relevant language skills, and be capable of managing a diverse staff. We are looking for someone with a proven track record of delivering results in multi-million-dollar field offices and fast paced environments under challenging conditions. The PSI Mali program is highly impactful and highly rewarding for those who thrive when given a serious management challenge. Please note that posting to Mali is limited to spouses and over-21 dependents.
Sound like you? Read on.
Your contribution The CR/Mali, reporting to the Regional Director for West and Central Africa, will assume responsibility for the management of PSI/Mali, including strategic, programmatic and operational management and oversight for PSI/Mali's contract and grant portfolio. The CR/Mali will be responsible for achieving a high level of project performance while assuring compliance with regulations across a range of donors and financial/administrative best practices. Specific tasks are:
Program Planning and Execution
- Provide quality and timely management of project lifecycle for all current donor projects including meeting programmatic and financial deliverables;
- Develop innovative distribution systems and/or maintain the existing ones at a high level of effectiveness;
- Supervise and ensure accountability for sub-recipient monitoring, including oversight of programmatic and financial performance;
- Supervise evidence-based research activities to support health program decisions to evaluate and measure program effectiveness and to maximize health impact.
New Business Development
- Identify and assess new partners for program implementation;
- Organize country team responses to global, regional and country-level fundraising;
- Liaise with PSI/W for all fundraising opportunities and agree on priorities and next steps;
- Communicate PSI global and country strategy to local donors, partners and authorities with a view to identifying strategic overlap and opportunities.
Financial and Internal Controls
- Support the Finance Director in ensuring that PSI and donor requirements regarding financial oversight and controls are met and ensure collaboration with appropriate teams in PSI/W;
- Develop and manage annual and project budgets in accordance with donor and PSI/W regulations;
- Meet reporting requirements as required by donors and PSI/Washington;
- Ensure that all PSI financial policies and procedures are followed and validated by internal evaluations and external audits;
- Foster the institutional development of PSI/Mali through strategic planning, program development and staff capacity building;
- Maintain and foster external relations with strategic partners such as government institutions and donors such as the Ministry of Health, Global Fund, USAID, Foundations, among others.
- Build technical, management and leadership capacity of staff;
- Proactively perform risk assessments to identify and mitigate risks, including operational, financial, legal, contractual, reputational and safety. Ensure that mitigation actions are implemented and proactively work with HQ to ensure adequate oversight and support is provided across teams.
- Develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of staff and assets in all aspects of work per best practices, PSI operating standards, and field realities.
- Liaise with the Global Security Department and Regional Director on crucial events, high-risk periods, incident reporting and security policy changes;
- Promote and demonstrate an ethical environment in line with PSI's values of honesty and acting with integrity.
What are we looking for?
- You have at least 10 years of experience managing people, budgets and international public health programs of similar size as PSI/Mali, in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- You have lived and worked in a high risk developing country.
- You have significant demonstrated experience in government and donor relations and collaboration.
- You have an MBA, MPH, MD or other relevant degree.
- You are fluent in English and French.
- You have significant demonstrated fundraising, personnel and financial management experience.
- References will be required.
**What would get us excited?
Experienced manager. **You have been a Chief of Party a large complex project or Country Director or Resident Advisor of a large development or relief organization before. You have worked with and managed Global Fund projects. You can manage a diverse team of professionals to achieve results.
Relationship Builder. You have experience working with Ministries of Health and global health donors. You can identify new donors and partners for programs. You can spot trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about health needs and opportunities in Mali. You are diplomatic in cooling down emotionally charged environments. You are agile in your approach, able to quickly recognize, address and mitigate potential conflicts before they arise.
Capacity Builder: You have experience in building technical, management and leadership capacity.
Collaborative manager. **You can inspire a shared vision for the PSI/Mali staff. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
Natural fundraiser. You have experience identifying business opportunities in the health sector or securing funds from a wide range of donors.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
- Organization: PSI - Population Services International
- Location: Bangui (Central African Republic) | Male
- Grade: Senior Executive - Internationally recruited position - Senior Executive level
- Project and Programme Management
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-07-26